The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Will any Canuck win a major award this season?

Rate this topic

DeNiro

Will any Canuck win a major award this season?  

68 members have voted

1. 1. Will any Canuck win a major award this season?

2. 2. If yes what award will be won?

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 10/13/2023 at 07:19 AM

Pettersson won't and shouldn't win the Selke unless his face-offs become at least average and he's very far from that. His PK work is also a bit underwhelming.

He has a better chance at Lady Byng IMO.

That said, I'd say the chances of winning a major award is probably less than 5%. A lot of very optimistic people here.

8 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

Pettersson won't and shouldn't win the Selke unless his face-offs become at least average and he's very far from that. His PK work is also a bit underwhelming.

He has a better chance at Lady Byng IMO.

That said, I'd say the chances of winning a major award is probably less than 5%. A lot of very optimistic people here.

A healthy Couturier is back. Kopitar and Barkov always seem to be candidates. As well as Stone, even if he plays half a season. 

It’s really a long shot for Pettersson, unless he blows everyone out of the water in the defensive analytics department.

• Upvote 2

9 minutes ago, shiznak said:

A healthy Couturier is back. Kopitar and Barkov always seem to be candidates. As well as Stone, even if he plays half a season. 

It’s really a long shot for Pettersson, unless he blows everyone out of the water in the defensive analytics department.

Yeah. Tons of other great candidates could rise to the top as well. It's far from a forgone conclusion that it'll just be Marnier, Hischier, and Petey. The former two were 2nd and 3rd--Petey was 7th. Personally, I don't even think he deserved to finish that high (though he deserved at least some attention). Even a guy like Chandler Stephensen is criminally underrated defensively.

with the eastern bias of voters that never stay up late enough to watch us play, we stand VERY little chance of winning anything.

also with the mcdoofus/drysaddle/mathews the scoring titles are already in the bag( for one of them)

I predict that we have 3 or 4 in the top 5 finalists of several categories though. 

The only major trophy I could see us having a decent chance at is with a strong performance all season the Adams trophy for Tocchet. which naturally means that he gets fired NEXT season.

Went to reply No, but it also said to submit at a trophy anyways.  Went with Selke and EP. 

Really, it's most likely Tochett.   It makes more sense he wins than anyone else at this point.   A healthy Mark Stone likely bumps EP down the Selke list, or at least provides a tough opponent for that trophy.    Even with Bergeron out.   

If Tochett gets this team to the playoffs, he for sure will be a finalist.    Hart is locked in likely, either McDavid or if he goes down, Draisatl maybe, and a half dozen other likely candidates, EP one of them if he improves on last season AND we make the playoffs.    EP is the most likely player to win any hardware for sure.     Masterson for Pearson too. 

Edited by IBatch

1 hour ago, grumpyone said:

with the eastern bias of voters that never stay up late enough to watch us play, we stand VERY little chance of winning anything.

also with the mcdoofus/drysaddle/mathews the scoring titles are already in the bag( for one of them)

I predict that we have 3 or 4 in the top 5 finalists of several categories though. 

The only major trophy I could see us having a decent chance at is with a strong performance all season the Adams trophy for Tocchet. which naturally means that he gets fired NEXT season.

That's funny.   Because there are just as many Western voters.   Wonder whom is voting Miller in for Selke votes 3 of the last 4 years... check it out, you might be surprised.   The culture of victimhood connected to this franchise, is something i've never really bought in too, or liked.   "Everyone hates us, we don't care" ... that actually promotes exactly what the statements about.  Annoying petulant, pouty stuff (we aren't alone with this, Buffalo has suffered almost as much as us, and TO fans are getting close ...1967 is a long time ago).   They sure appreciated the Sedins and Kesler when they were around right?    Same as Naslund.   Perry is the only one, that you could for sure debate was a weak winner.    Wouldn't say Daniel was robbed of his Hart though, Perry did score a goal per game the final 22 or so games to put ANA on his back and drag them into the show.     And everyone is noticing EP right now.    

Of the guys we've had that have won trophy's, nobody was miles ahead of the next guy.   Not all trophies are the same.    Only Gretzky managed to have a run of clobbering his competition,  and Orr.   First place Hart votes ... for example.   And a couple times, a player won a trophy, based one vote, or just a few.    Were the Eastern voters jealous of Gretzky?  Nobody in the history of the game, and rightly so, managed to garner more first place votes by such a margin.   

Edited by IBatch
  • Upvote 1

38 minutes ago, IBatch said:

That's funny.   Because there are just as many Western voters.   Wonder whom is voting Miller in for Selke votes 3 of the last 4 years... check it out, you might be surprised.    The culture of victimhood connected to this franchise, is something i've never really bought in too, or liked.   "Everyone hates us, we don't care" ... that actually promotes exactly what the statements about.  Annoying petulant, pouty stuff.   They sure appreciated the Sedins and Kesler when they were around right?    Same as Naslund.   Perry is the only one, that you could for sure debate was a weak winner.    Wouldn't say Daniel was robbed of his Hart though.    And everyone is noticing EP right now.    

Nothing weak about Perry.  In his prime he was a force and possibly best powerforward in hockey.

• Cheers 1

1 hour ago, EddieVedder said:

Nothing weak about Perry.  In his prime he was a force and possibly best powerforward in hockey.

Yes, I added something to that.   That said he was having a typical great Perry season, around 7th in scoring, and then had his magical run of 22 or so games.    Deserving?  Maybe.  Maybe not.   Perry's Hart trophy is used as an example of why all Harts are not the same.  In comparison,  and Daniel barely lost to him...Gretzky is the only guy to have a monopoly on first place votes in the history of the game.   Orr had Espo, Clarke and others splitting votes.   Taylor Halls would be a decent comp in recent history, where not all trophies are the same.   Borque, Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Chelios, Al Mac, Leetch,  and Coffey IMO, had a much harder time winning Norris trophies, than any other defenseman in the league. 

Edit: It appears to be going full circle now.    Makar, Heiskanen, QHs, Fox, with the older guard of Hedman, Josi, Carlson, Karlson etc.    It's been a long, long time since i've seen that sort of quality, all at one time.    It's also why i'd have Borque a tier above Lidstrom and know that won't make the younger generation happy.    Guess who taught him the ways of the NHL...  Brad Park.   A guy that never won but always the bridesmaid.   

Edit: Weber or Chara should have won the Norris Lidstrom's last season.   Funny and a curiosity, that two players possibly were robbed of a trophy that year.   Believe the writers, if anything, get caught up a little bit on a good story.   Lidstrom tying Harvey was a "good story", despite being a minus player, and IMO, should have been at best second plaice that year, or maybe just a finalist.    Think they did Harvey dirty there.   At least THN still has Harvey ahead of Lidstrom, but one junior writer, voted him the best all-time, ahead of Orr (wow!!), which also did the 1999 list very dirty.    The guys who at the time, had guys who watched Shore play. Perry's first place votes, knackered D. Sedins chance at winning it.  67 to 51.   Perry didn't expect to win it either.

Edited by IBatch

17 minutes ago, IBatch said:

Yes, I added something to that.   That said he was having a typical great Perry season, around 7th in scoring, and then had his magical run of 22 or so games.    Deserving?  Maybe.  Maybe not.   Perry's Hart trophy is used as an example of why all Harts are not the same.  In comparison,  and Daniel barely lost to him...Gretzky is the only guy to have a monopoly on first place votes in the history of the game.   Orr had Espo, Clarke and others splitting votes.   Taylor Halls would be a decent comp in recent history, where not all trophies are the same.   Borque, Orr, Potvin, Robinson, Chelios, Al Mac, Leetch,  and Coffey IMO, had a much harder time winning Norris trophies, than any other defenseman in the league. 

Edit: It appears to be going full circle now.    Makar, Heiskanen, QHs, Fox, with the older guard of Hedman, Josi, Carlson, Karlson etc.    It's been a long, long time since i've seen that sort of quality, all at one time.    It's also why i'd have Borque a tier above Lidstrom and know that won't make the younger generation happy.    Guess who taught him the ways of the NHL...  Brad Park.   A guy that never won but always the bridesmaid.   

Excellent post..agree completely. 

Ppl dont realize how good Bourque, Pronger, Niedermayer, Makar, Lidstrom, Hedman were and are...  if you have this guy on your team you are going to automatically compete because they take over the game.  I was pumped when Pronger won MVP-  we have never seen a dman just own the opposition and carry his team like that on a physical and skill level.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, EddieVedder said:

Excellent post..agree completely. 

Ppl dont realize how good Bourque, Pronger, Niedermayer, Makar, Lidstrom, Hedman were and are...  if you have this guy on your team you are going to automatically compete because they take over the game.  I was pumped when Pronger won MVP-  we have never seen a dman just own the opposition and carry his team like that on a physical and skill level.

Pronger got robbed of the Conn Smythe, more than any player in the history of the game.   Was like watching Gretzky in his prime, completely dominating.   Controlled the entire pace of the game for half of every game.   Al Mac - Pronger, might be the best duo in the history of the game.    EDM... so close.  And mostly because of Pronger.  

As for Borque.  Guy was a tank.  Did it all.  There is more to the game, than just being slick.   Lidstrom did everything well, but nothing top level (compared to the top level, goal scoring, assists, hitting, other things that also matter), rule changes helped his career for sure.   Others too.  Borque did everything top level.   His last season, 22 years in, was second in Norris voting.  On some bad/mediocre at best  Bruins teams, before requesting a trade, finished - gulp - 7th! in Norris voting, otherwise 1-4 like clockwork, against some great defenseman.   Lidstrom started and ended on great Detroit teams, aside from his last couple seasons.   Konstantinov, was the man until he had his accident.  And Holland said "Had a higher trajectory at the time, than Lidstrom did".    My friends laugh at Lidstrom being the man and when he retired, some folks thinking he was better than Al Mac, Potvin, Orr,  etc.   It's simply goofy.    If he played on crap teams...well, he sure didn't.    Larry Murphy level offensive instincts, definitely not a scary guy to go against one on one and think your life is in danger, maybe getting burned that's it.   He was a great D, but not close to the greatest, and that's why I bring this up more then I should.   But I am happy those that got to watch him play, got to see what that looks like. 

The 2000's weren't very good.  Potvin's Islanders also weren't very good when he arrived, and look what he did, right away to that team.   Who did Gretzky "fear" the most in his career?  Potvin, and rightly so.  19 consecutive playoff rounds ... retired at 34, and didn't start right away either given the draft rules at the time.   Another tank. 

Nobody well ever get 13 first all-star team and 6 second team votes (Borque).    That's a record I bet will stand forever, like Gretzky's 215 points.   Or Roy's 10 OT wins in 1993 playoffs. 

Edited by IBatch

4 minutes ago, Devron said:

I said yes to be optimistic but in reality it’s probably a no. That said I think Petey, Hughes and Demko could all win a major award at some point in their careers 

Think EP can for sure and likely will.  QHs next up.   Demko likely a Conn Smythe more than a Vezina, which of course id welcome.    Still a lot of maybe about his career.   

• Cheers 1

Pettersson may win the Lady Byng if he can replicate last season, that's about it though. Selke competition is steep and he's not great at facdoffs.

I'd be surprised if any other Canuck won something, Norris competition is always steep.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1
  • Vintage 1