The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Canucks trade Pearson to Montreal

billabong

7 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Ugh another pick wasted to clear a bad contract. Unfortunate as he probably has value at the trade deadline with his reputation and being in the last year of his deal.

So to keep Pearson, who would you have moved to get under the cap? I'll wait.

• Cheers 1

9 minutes ago, flickyoursedin said:

Ugh another pick wasted to clear a bad contract. Unfortunate as he probably has value at the trade deadline with his reputation and being in the last year of his deal.

Its a 3rd round and we get a backup goalie we desperately needed. Saves us from losing a asset by having to run a 22 man roster to be cap compliant. While I hate giving up picks this seems like a good trade for both sides. 

• Cheers 1

Let's face it, it was a necessary move to get out of the jam.  Losing picks sucks but that path was laid down over the past decade with bad deals.  We are where we are now and current management is doing a reasonable job of negotiating past the challenges.  Tanner had to go.  Fans like him and he was a swiss army knife who was in my opinion a good team guy.  With that said, the #1 priority is to enter the season with no baggage and Tanner's situation was one of the distractions last year (to no fault of his own I'm sure).

New captain, new faces, newish coaching staff and a new page.  Let's move forward, not back.

• Like 1

https://www.sportsnet.ca/nhl/article/32-thoughts-whats-next-for-the-blue-jackets/

12. Vancouver trading Tanner Pearson to Montreal is the best thing for everyone involved, including the player. There were a lot of hard feelings in the aftermath of the multi-surgery mayhem that put his career into uncertainty and cast doubt on the Canucks medical staff. It’s great to see him looking healthy enough to play. When the summer began Vancouver wasn’t expecting him to be ready so they made other moves, but Pearson's potential return would have caused a salary-cap and positional logjam for the Canucks. One of the things they could have considered was putting Pearson on waivers. That wouldn’t have been good for anyone.

13. The trade also solved a Montreal problem. DeSmith joined Jake Allen, Samuel Montembeault and Cayden Primeau as Canadiens’ goalies ready to play and needing waivers. Ever since the trade with Pittsburgh, the Canadiens were working to move DeSmith. 

Yea we knew they had to give up draft capital to clear cap space. Giving up another draft pick to address cap issues is not good, but this is probably the best they can do given the circumstances and the whole league knows we're desperate.

Pearson needs a fresh start and we can't further ruin the teams reputation by waiving him. He'll probably get more opportunity on a young habs team and gets flipped for another draft pick at the TDL. Montreal is taking advantage of all other GMs past mistakes. Good on them. 

Not sure how good Desmith was as a backup at Pens, but I guess he has more NHL games than Martin. 

3 hours ago, The Colt 45s said:

With our luck, we would make the trade and then he would clinch the cup against us with the game winning goal.

New forum, new luck, don’t bring that Juju to the new forum. More like with our luck DeSmith shuts them out in game 7, clinching the cup and winning the Conn Smyth! 

• Cheers 1

5 minutes ago, canuckwings said:

Not sure how good Desmith was as a backup at Pens, but I guess he has more NHL games than Martin. 

DeSmith is a little more proven, but I don't think it's worlds of difference. Martin was put in a tough spot to take over while Demko was down but you'd hope he would bounce back. He certainly stepped up in Abby after heading back there.

The truth Is 3rd rounders rarely pan out.(edit: that's just speaking for Canucks 3rd rounders, other than Klim there hasn't been many notable picks beyond the 2nd round) the Canucks have far more success with signing college and free agent kids like Hirose, Sasson and McWard and free agent signings like Aman, and Johansson.  This management group has made Benning's entire tenure look like amature hour.   Case and point, Hirose a college signing looks like he's leapfrogged Rathbone a 4th round pick. Only a month seperation them in age. Both 24, but Hirose has shown more in a much smaller window. Rathbone, albeit has had injury problems but even so Hirose's defensive game is much more mature.  

Edited by Pure961089

With this forum coming to a close, I’ll help add a post to get this to hopefully reach 4 pages. If this wasn’t gonna end, there would be like 12 pages already. The organization did him dirty with that surgery. Plus, Jimbo shouldn’t have given him that 3 year contract. It would have been better if he was traded to Montreal and join Toffoli during that 2021 Cup run that they didn’t win. Maybe it could have been different. It won’t be the same coming back, especially Bo is no longer in the team. But I did enjoy the whole team during the bubble playoffs of 2020 and Pearson was apart of it. 

Edited by Infomercial2000