The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Canucks trade Pearson to Montreal

billabong

8 hours ago, Provost said:

Pearson is a solid player on a decent contract with no term left after this year.

Montreal will be able to trade him for another 3rd or better at the deadline.  This one hangs on the new regime again mishandling the cap so they were forced to make the move.  I am not Benning fan, but there have been a lot of contracts signed since he left as well for us to be in this cap situation.

I don't know about it being a decent contract. If I recall there were teams that were pretty upset about the deal Pearson got because it meant having to either add more term or money to resign their top 9 / 3rd line forwards. I forgot the players but I recall LA and Philly were some of those teams not happy with the ripple effect the Pearson extension had on their respective negotiations.  I believe Friedman even reported this.

If the contract you structured for a player is so bad that even other teams see it, then it's pretty bad

2 hours ago, iinatcc said:

I don't know about it being a decent contract. If I recall there were teams that were pretty upset about the deal Pearson got because it meant having to either add more term or money to resign their top 9 / 3rd line forwards. I forgot the players but I recall LA and Philly were some of those teams not happy with the ripple effect the Pearson extension had on their respective negotiations.  I believe Friedman even reported this.

If the contract you structured for a player is so bad that even other teams see it, then it's pretty bad

gimme a break.. he's on pace for 35-40 points every season over 82 games 15-20 goals.. can play up and down the lineup pk and everything for 3.25mil and we are complaining about that's a bad contract?? he pretty much on pace for as much as beauvillier.. does more on the ice for 1mil cheaper and people are saying beauvillier is not bad his contract is easily tradeable etc?? his cost per point is exactly where it needs to be 100k/point. where are you going to find these 30-40 point guy that can pk for 2mil?

6 hours ago, wai_lai416 said:

gimme a break.. he's on pace for 35-40 points every season over 82 games 15-20 goals.. can play up and down the lineup pk and everything for 3.25mil and we are complaining about that's a bad contract?? he pretty much on pace for as much as beauvillier.. does more on the ice for 1mil cheaper and people are saying beauvillier is not bad his contract is easily tradeable etc?? his cost per point is exactly where it needs to be 100k/point. where are you going to find these 30-40 point guy that can pk for 2mil?

Considering the flat cap, the team friendly deals wingers in their late 20s or early 30s were taking at the time it was an over payment .

Also when other GMs are upset the deal Benning made on the extension you know it was a bad deal 

• Thanks 1

I like this deal a lot.  

We needed rid of Pearson.  We have way to many wingers, we needed cap space, and I feel there is probably some tension between him and the team.

We also needed a back up goalie that isn't Martin.  Desmith playing 25 games instead of Martin is probably worth 8-10 more points this year.  That is gonna be the difference between making it or not, or playing as a wild card or Divisional seed.  

This trade checks a few boxes for sure.

I hate to give up picks, but as long as Alvin is as active as he has been in the "non NHL" Fa market, it isn't as big an issue.  

Kuzmenko

Aman

Sasson

Bains

McWard

Hirose

Johanssson

All of these guys were picked up for free, that helps offset the lack of picks and has helped build some depth on the farm.

• Cheers 1

Canucks have made some really solid moves over the past few months. Saying goodbye to OEL and completely revamping the blueline by bringing in Hronek, Cole, Soucy and Irwin. Also, Woo, Hirose, Rathbone, Juulsen and Wolanin should provide nice depth. I still think Myers could be moved, and as he's only making a million this year, the return could be pretty good. 

The bottom 6 was also a bit of an issue and they seemed to fix that too with Blueger and Suter. Podkolzin, Hoglander, Bains and Klimovich should challenge for spots. I wonder what the future holds for Dries, Studnicka and Aman.

Demko/DeSmith gives them a legit chance to win a lot of games. 

Canucks will finish 2nd in the Pacific. Flames will miss the playoffs.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Tyndall2 said:

3rd rounder is too rich.  Canucks can not afford to squander draft picks in the future.

Ok provide us a deal that doesn't include a draft pick to move salary, and the other team will take? It sucks yes, but once all the cap gets cleared up we can carry on. 

Besides, if it was Benning we would have had to trade a 2nd rounder. 

2 hours ago, Ohthehumanity said:

54% chance that a 3rd rounder plays one game in the NHL. Cap space is rivalling draft picks in trades now.

That isn’t quite right.  54% chance a 3rd round player makes the NHL… not that they play one game.  They are guys that play at least one game.

7 hours ago, iinatcc said:

Considering the flat cap, the team friendly deals wingers in their late 20s or early 30s were taking at the time it was an over payment .

Also when other GMs are upset the deal Benning made on the extension you know it was a bad deal 

Sry what’s team friendly deal are we talking about? What 28 year old with a consistent production signed a 2mil contract with Pearson 40 points at the time 15-20 goals production? Gm upset? Gm are always upset at deals. Just like I’m sure gm are upset at all the deals ppl are giving to rookies with no little to no track records 8 year 7-8mil contracts based on potentials. You think pa is happy with Sanderson getting 8mil for just 77 games and 3x points? What’s hronek going to ask for next year? Especially if Sanderson only gets 30ish points again this season? 

Do ya' think PA approached Montreal first? At least reached out to them with a, "Are you interested in (insert name of winger here).?" And was DeSmith on PA's radar from the beginning? I dunno. After watching the movie "Draft Day," the whole process of player negotiations is very interesting.

5 hours ago, Sativika said:

Do ya' think PA approached Montreal first? At least reached out to them with a, "Are you interested in (insert name of winger here).?" And was DeSmith on PA's radar from the beginning? I dunno. After watching the movie "Draft Day," the whole process of player negotiations is very interesting.

I dont care how it happened, we have too many wingers and now too many goalies. The point is we dropped over 1 million cap. And having too many great goalies is a good problem, remember Minnesota 10 years ago

21 minutes ago, EastCoastNucks said:

I dont care how it happened, we have too many wingers and now too many goalies. The point is we dropped over 1 million cap. And having too many great goalies is a good problem, remember Minnesota 10 years ago

How do we have too many great goalies?  We were 1 injury to Demko away from playing either Spencer Martin (he of the terrible last season) or an unproven Silovs as the #1.  DeSmith was the 1B in Pittsburgh and now he can be the #2 here to let Arturs develop in the AHL and give us an extra goalie ahead of Martin.

2 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

How do we have too many great goalies?  We were 1 injury to Demko away from playing either Spencer Martin (he of the terrible last season) or an unproven Silovs as the #1.  DeSmith was the 1B in Pittsburgh and now he can be the #2 here to let Arturs develop in the AHL and give us an extra goalie ahead of Martin.

you are shortsighted to under-estimate Martin. Demko started last year injured and Spencer knew it, and Delia was nothing compared to Martin, 

Tolopilo, Nikita ELC Waivers Exempt G Tr. Camp Signed 23 - $950,000 $950,000
RFA

Silovs, Arturs ELCPerformance Bonus Waivers Exempt G Tr. Camp Draft 22 - $786,111
RFA

Sawchenko, Zach

12 minutes ago, Phil_314 said:

although my opinion dont matter to anyone, Martin should be backup still. DeSmith will get more ice, and press Silovs in Abby. The defense is better for Martin to have a great Goals against this year (in limited games) and he could be a good trade in the spring