The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Trade) Canucks trade Pearson to Montreal

billabong

7 minutes ago, Nucker 67 said:

Still hoping there's a deal to trade Myers+ to CAR for Pesce.

If that happens, and even though it's really early, I would put the Canucks in the Contenders category.

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

If you were Carolina, a team trying to win the cup, why would you take a trade of Myers for Pesce even with a 1st round pick?

Carolina wants to win now. I can see Pesce going at the trade deadline for a haul, with lots of teams vying for him. 

But we don't have anything to offer them to make them better for the playoffs. Unless you are willing to trade Hughes. 

Whatever we have to offer, a team with cap space like Anaheim or LA can easily outbid Vancouver. 

Yeah I can't see what Carolina would want from the Canucks unless they feel a guy like Podkolzin or Hoglander could help them immediately.  They don't exactly have a lot of cap space to work with either.  Canucks retaining 50% on Myers would only free up $1M for them assuming Pesce is coming the other way.

• Cheers 1

1 minute ago, HKSR said:

Yeah I can't see what Carolina would want from the Canucks unless they feel a guy like Podkolzin or Hoglander could help them immediately.  They don't exactly have a lot of cap space to work with either.  Canucks retaining 50% on Myers would only free up $1M for them assuming Pesce is coming the other way.

Even with that, that's a major downgrade on defence for Carolina. Podz or Hogs won't make up for that. 

3 minutes ago, iinatcc said:

He should have been traded in 2021. 

Benning's bad contract costs the team another pick 

Pearson is a solid player on a decent contract with no term left after this year.

Montreal will be able to trade him for another 3rd or better at the deadline.  This one hangs on the new regime again mishandling the cap so they were forced to make the move.  I am not Benning fan, but there have been a lot of contracts signed since he left as well for us to be in this cap situation.

• Cheers 2

moving 

money out is expensive, 

in this case a 3rd round pick.  
Both players ufa 23/24 season.  

I never liked the Pearson resigning by Benning, thought it was expensive and had urged Benning not to do it on cdc which I thought he was reading regularly.  Clearly he wasn't, should have been, obviously.    

All in all Pearson has been a decent Canuck. Wish him luck in Montreal.  Bring on De Smith. 

All things considered, a good trade by Allvin.  

• Vintage 1

Good trade! We move out a forward, we had too many, free up some cap space and we get stronger in net. Awesome job!

I think they still want to move Myers, but this allows that to move to the backburner. RD are a premium in the NHL, this allows us to go into camp and let our defense prospects prove that they can outplay him before we move him. Johansson, Woo, Juulsen, the door is open for one of you to step up and step through!

• Cheers 1
  • Vintage 1

9 minutes ago, Bobby James said:

Reminder to all users here to head over to https://www.forumcanucks.com/ 

Same topic is running there and hopefully we can keep as much of this community together as we can before the closure. 

Planning on moving over, but trying to think up a new display name.   Not that I don't want to be remembered, just gonna have a new display name.

1 hour ago, CanuckFan1123 said:

Honestly, I’m a Pearson fan but this is about the best case scenario for a cap dump. We’ve upgraded backup goalie, moved out enough to be cap compliant, and moved out one of the 763 active wingers on our roster. Not bad. 

I also liked Pearson, I think he was one of the few who would engage in battles along the boards, but I think the cap was also an issue that needed to be addressed.