The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Jake Virtanen | #18 | RW

avelanch

2 hours ago, Realtor Rod said:

So Jake makes the team but WD relegates him to the press box? There is a disconnect between JB and WD. Even if its time here while Rodin recovers, Jake needs to be playing. 

Maybe Jake is still feeling his shoulder injury?  Good time for him to rest up while there's such a long break until opening game.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, ice orca said:

Was it MDC that said the Canuck's were his least favorite team just before the draft?

don't think that was a smart move. lol. and he's really not in a position of strength to be able to say that. just be fortunate, kid, to have a chance to succeed in the best league in the world. so far, might seem like he might not make it. #bust

9 hours ago, Alflives said:

Virtanen will play awesome, when given the chance to be with Baer and Bo.  WD is messing with the lines in a strange way.  Plus, we need some young guys in our top six.  Having the Bo, Baer, JV line would do that, if WD would play them 15+ minutes/game.

We don't have a top 6. we have a top 3, other than the Swede line the icetime will likely be split up evenly between the other 3 lines

When I watch Jake play I can't help but think that he is following a similar path to those without high hockey IQ and constant effort/intensity. 

He has all the tools to be THAT player, I can't help but think a prolonged Utica stint would help him immensely.

16 minutes ago, ftmN said:

When I watch Jake play I can't help but think that he is following a similar path to those without high hockey IQ and constant effort/intensity. 

He has all the tools to be THAT player, I can't help but think a prolonged Utica stint would help him immensely.

The kid just barely turned 20 and has barely played 1 season. I'm pretty sure I can find you some great players who was not as productive as him in his first season at an older age. Can we all please wait until he has played at least 2 seasons in the NHL before freaking out?

1 hour ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

The kid just barely turned 20 and has barely played 1 season. I'm pretty sure I can find you some great players who was not as productive as him in his first season at an older age. Can we all please wait until he has played at least 2 seasons in the NHL before freaking out?

People will freak out after this season is done, trust me. Jake's going to have an ok season, will probably build off of his performance from last season. No matter what Jake does, he's always going to be under the microscope here in this city. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The kid is playing like a bag of milk.  If you get hit, get up and skate it off, stop going to the dressing room every time you get a booboo.   I want to see those legs moving tonight.  

I agree with you here 5th Line.  JV looks at times like he's a bit of a whiner.  Plus NO COASTING.  

I thought you had the BIG E, as your picture.  Do you remember when Lindros almost died in a bathtub from a lacerated spleen?  He was so tough he even played a full game, and didn't complain.  It was his roommate that called in the doc, because Eric, although saying he was fine, looked like death.  Saved Eric's life, that roommate.

• Upvote 1

47 minutes ago, The 5th Line said:

The kid is playing like a bag of milk.  If you get hit, get up and skate it off, stop going to the dressing room every time you get a booboo.   I want to see those legs moving tonight.  

Tonight I think Jake is actually showing glimpses of a young Bert, when he played for the Islanders.

• Upvote 1

On 12/10/2016 at 8:48 AM, higgyfan said:

Maybe Jake is still feeling his shoulder injury?  Good time for him to rest up while there's such a long break until opening game.

Rumour is JV took a bit of a knock in the season opener as well.  He's probably still not playing 100% 

2 hours ago, SilentSam said:

Tonight I think Jake is actually showing glimpses of a young Bert, when he played for the Islanders.

I thought so as well.  The fact that Willie is having him work on the defensive side of his game is a good thing.  We want him to be fully developed as a player as hopefully he's here for the long run.  I liked a lot of what I saw tonight, but you know there's more in the tank.  He needs someone to feed him pucks in the Ovie spot or to stand in front of the net.  Maybe Burr can give him some pointers.

• Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, N4ZZY said:

Sheesh. Let the kid play, and stop comparing him to Raffi. Jake's going to be Jake. 

I'd prefer if Jake wasn't the kind of guy to do that. That's Marchand type antics. I like his hard nosed play, but I think this crosses a line.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Oh the humanity!  

Yeah well at least the guy is not a whining hypocrite. If a player, any player had done that to one of ours, these boards would go into meltdown. 

Is this another player who gets the refs after us and leads to lack of respect for our team? I hope not, I would be disappointed if the coach or TL hasn't told him to cut that kind of crap out.

The guy who's head he rammed into the boards is 174lbs soaking wet. Way to go tough guy.

Edited by alfstonker
  • Upvote 2