The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikita Tryamkin | D

Drouin

1 minute ago, knucklehead91 said:

Bolded. Hughes is not the reason Tanev is eclipsing 55 games. 
Its having guys like Meyers and Fantenberg to help on the PK and help with defensive duties. Tanev is taking less punishment because we can disperse defensive zone draws and PK time. Every playoff team who is contending would love to have Tanev blocking shots and taking the hit to make the simple play, rather than panic and cough up the puck or avoid contact and give up the puck. Tanev is a smooth skater and certainly above average.

Maybe put your glasses back on and watch a couple games.

Tanev has been a minus player once in his career... which he has been around for some painful losing seasons.

The Canucks +/-

2018-19 -29

2017-18 -46

2016-17 -61

2015-16 -52 Tanev was a -8.

So you are telling me, when a dman is on a basement team getting heavily outscored..... and Tanev, being a top 2 dman for us, getting tons of icetime is a plus in almost every single season.... is someone you would not want to have at all because hes “not talented enough” on a SHUTDOWN PAIRING. Let me make it clear... HES A SHUT DOWN dman, not a -14 Erik Karlsson or -22 Brent Burns.

Tanev is a fabulous player.  No way we are not resigning him.  

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

3 hours ago, knucklehead91 said:

Bolded. Hughes is not the reason Tanev is eclipsing 55 games. 
Its having guys like Meyers and Fantenberg to help on the PK and help with defensive duties. Tanev is taking less punishment because we can disperse defensive zone draws and PK time. Every playoff team who is contending would love to have Tanev blocking shots and taking the hit to make the simple play, rather than panic and cough up the puck or avoid contact and give up the puck. Tanev is a smooth skater and certainly above average.

Maybe put your glasses back on and watch a couple games.

Tanev has been a minus player once in his career... which he has been around for some painful losing seasons.

The Canucks +/-

2018-19 -29

2017-18 -46

2016-17 -61

2015-16 -52 Tanev was a -8.

So you are telling me, when a dman is on a basement team getting heavily outscored..... and Tanev, being a top 2 dman for us, getting tons of icetime is a plus in almost every single season.... is someone you would not want to have at all because hes “not talented enough” on a SHUTDOWN PAIRING. Let me make it clear... HES A SHUT DOWN dman, not a -14 Erik Karlsson or -22 Brent Burns.

I hear what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense but I'm going to have to point out a few things. I was saying he isn't a number one shutdown on a cup contending team, he has been the top lock down D for a bottom feeding team as you put it. The contrast in those two teams and the value of a number one defensemen on each team is quite different.

Again as I've been saying, it's his smarts and body positioning, not his skating that makes him the defenseman he is. He isn't fast, but always in the right position so as to not be beat, he doesn't wow with his edge work as he's smart enough of a player that he doesn't have to be flashy. Virtanen is a good example of good skating with out the smarts to use it fully yet. 

Plus minus is great and all, and I'm not saying he hasn't been great for us as a number one defenseman over arguably the worst stretch of Canucks hockey in history. I just look at the factors of him missing a third of his career to injury, and not being offensive or physical at all makes him a good 3/4 on a cup team.

And I agree, having the other players like Myers and fantenberg to take up some of the heavier minutes is helping with his health. Still willing to put money he isn't starting opening night of the playoffs

Edited by kylecanuck

5 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

I'm sorry but we disagree on many levels here, his skating again is far from above average and saying it is shows your lack of evaluation skills.

And yours, some anonymous internet poster, has better evaluation skills? 

Haha...please.....:picard:

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

4 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

I hear what you're saying and it makes a lot of sense but I'm going to have to point out a few things. I was saying he isn't a number one shutdown on a cup contending team, he has been the top lock down D for a bottom feeding team as you put it. The contrast in those two teams and the value of a number one defensemen on each team is quite different.

Again as I've been saying, it's his smarts and body positioning, not his skating that makes him the defenseman he is. He isn't fast, but always in the right position so as to not be beat, he doesn't wow with his edge work as he's smart enough of a player that he doesn't have to be flashy. Virtanen is a good example of good skating with out the smarts to use it fully yet. 

Plus minus is great and all, and I'm not saying he hasn't been great for us as a number one defenseman over arguably the worst stretch of Canucks hockey in history. I just look at the factors of him missing a third of his career to injury, and not being offensive or physical at all makes him a good 3/4 on a cup team.

And I agree, having the other players like Myers and fantenberg to take up some of the heavier minutes is helping with his health. Still willing to put money he isn't starting opening night of the playoffs

I don’t think anyone claimed that Tanev is a number one defenceman. He is a great partner for a true offensive defenceman like Hughes. He has been injured a lot playing mostly in the toughest situations. Myers and Stetcher being able to carry a fair share of the load is a blessing for Tanev’s health. And he is a very good skater, which he demonstrates every time he pulls away from opposing forwards while lugging the puck out of our zone. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kylecanuck said:

I'm sorry but we disagree on many levels here, his skating again is far from above average and saying it is shows your lack of evaluation skills. Also no, any cup contending team would not love to have him anchoring the shutdown line as it would mean they have low top end talent. Tanev is great for what he brings, 50 games a year, and only 15 out of 40 possibly playoff games throughout his career. If that is what you're relying on as your top D then you are not making the playoffs let alone contending. The only reason he looks better this year and is eclipsing the 55 game mark for the first time in five years is because of Hughes. 

Take off the homer glasses and take a look from an outside point of view... 

But please, find me in the Tanev thread, I do hate deraling someone elses

No need to be sorry, you know the old saying about opinions. They are like A holes, everyone has them, and most of them stink.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Ray_Cathode said:

I don’t think anyone claimed that Tanev is a number one defenceman. He is a great partner for a true offensive defenceman like Hughes. He has been injured a lot playing mostly in the toughest situations. Myers and Stetcher being able to carry a fair share of the load is a blessing for Tanev’s health. And he is a very good skater, which he demonstrates every time he pulls away from opposing forwards while lugging the puck out of our zone. 

That is what the argument has been though, there are those here that claim he is a number one shutdown D man on a cup team. I'm saying he isn't, he would be a good 3/4 if health...

26 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

That is what the argument has been though, there are those here that claim he is a number one shutdown D man on a cup team. I'm saying he isn't, he would be a good 3/4 if health...

Who's claiming this? Where?

50 minutes ago, kylecanuck said:

Really hoping to see Tryamkin in blue this year, I'm thinking he has grown as a player a bit, and already had the skill to be a good middle pair for us. Maybe that makes Myers available at the expansion draft?? 

Tryamkin makes us deeper at D. Not keep comparing or competing him with Tanev. We'll have a solid 7-8 D to finish the season. And add to the competition at training camp. JB will deal with our contract and cap status. He knows the market for Tanev/Stech et al. I don't think we should criticize adding a free player but how we should be looking forward to trying to get past the first round. Which is going to be a huge monumental task. Provided we make it there which I think we will.

Edited by Hairy Kneel
  • Cheers 1

45 minutes ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Tryamkin makes us deeper at D. Not keep comparing or competing him with Tanev. We'll have a solid 7-8 D to finish the season. And add to the competition at training camp. JB will deal with our contract and cap status. He knows the market for Tanev/Stech et al. I don't think we should criticize adding a free player but how we should be looking forward to trying to get past the first round. Which is going to be a huge monumental task. Provided we make it there which I think we will.

I think we will make it this year too, and I'm a little excited about what we could do. If healthy, meaning ferlund is good to go, tanev is healthy, and Ericsson playing third line quality hockey. We could make some noise

Throwing in Tryamkin could be what pushes us through the first and dare I say second rounds!!

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

N I N E T E E N  ...

all rockets are stable.

19 days until the end of the regular season? And then if they make the playoffs we'll all by cheering them to lose as quickly as possible.

• Cheers 2

1 hour ago, aGENT said:

Who's claiming this? Where?

I don't know how to do the edit in other people, and I'm also way to lazy to try hahaha. 

It's been eluded to quite a bit on here though that he is a number one D man on a playoff team. He was certainly a number one on our team, but that showed our lack of top end talent rather then the norm across the NHL