The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Linden Vey accepts qualifying offer

Good job Mr. Jim Benning. That was a great trade, Garrison for Vey basically.

Yep. Got ride of Jason and his cap which wasn't worth his play. Underachieved here a lot and made up with acquiring of Sbisa. Vey for Garrison is pretty solid if you ask me.

According to this http://capgeek.com/qualifying-offer-calculator/?player_id=2031 it could be a 2 way deal. He doesn't have 180 career games and didn't play 60 NHL games last season. I could be missing something though.

EDIT: Got the link working.

Makes no difference in regards to waivers though. He's waiver eligible whatever contract he accepts.

dd7162403bea2db6418f90721ac6b4ea.png

Or this. +1

Regardless of what one thinks about Bennings' signings this summer, you have to love the fact that he's making his decisions and executing them quickly and quietly.

The team and the players can then confidently go about their business this summer without any dark clouds hanging over their heads.

What a nice breath of fresh air JB is.

I give him credit for that for sure, and even a new GM coming in isn't always able to make changes and get players re-signed as well as this.

Regardless of what one thinks about Bennings' signings this summer, you have to love the fact that he's making his decisions and executing them quickly and quietly.

The team and the players can then confidently go about their business this summer without any dark clouds hanging over their heads.

What a nice breath of fresh air JB is.

They were certainly very well-prepared going into the draft, and executed the plan (or backup plan) with precision and decisiveness. Linden said last night that it wasn't 5 minutes after signing Benning that he was already hitting the phones!

As for Vey, according to Rotoworld he was up and down from the minors several times last year, apparently only sent down because of cap restrictions.

Great!

We look to be set to go to camp. Everyone under contract and focusing on training, not contracts or arbitrations.

This means Benning has a tough road ahead of him of course, as the guys will all be up for a raise if they produce. He's established a clear line. First he wants to see how you do, then you'll get a contract worth your while, a la Tanev. He doesn't know if the guy is the real deal under his (and WD's of course) system. And that rule probably goes for the guys under contract too. If they can't cut it, he'll make the call down the road. I don't think anyone from the Gillis era is 'safe', except for Daniel & Henrik. They are the cornerstone still.

According to this http://capgeek.com/qualifying-offer-calculator/?player_id=2031 it could be a 2 way deal. He doesn't have 180 career games and didn't play 60 NHL games last season. I could be missing something though.

EDIT: Got the link working.

Even if it is a 2-way deal that has nothing to do with waivers.

2-way just means that if he manages to be cleared to the AHL, he will get paid a lesser salary (usually its under 100k).

Over a point per game in the AHL, and had 5 points in 12 NHL games last season. I know we don't really have a true #1 future centre in our prospect pool, but Vey might surprise a few people and have all the tools. He's primed for a big rookie season and will get the 3C spot to start with:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Vey - Jensen

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

If Markstrom does get moved, or Lack or whatever, the Canucks will have just over 3 million in cap space. Jeez, I wouldn't be suprised if Benning makes another trade during the season for another top 6 forward.

good signing, but I think we need another top rated D man not another forward!

If Markstrom does get moved, or Lack or whatever, the Canucks will have just over 3 million in cap space. Jeez, I wouldn't be suprised if Benning makes another trade during the season for another top 6 forward.

That available cap space definitely puts us in a position to poach from some of the teams like Chicago, Boston and Philly that are in trouble on that front. On top of that, we have a way deeper roster than before, with lots of kids on the farm. Contracts like Vey's are part of how you get into that situation. So I like this guy not only for his ability and potential. but also for what a 3C making his money lets us do with the rest of the lineup. We may actually end up with a semi-legit 2nd line winger or puck-moving defenseman because of this.

Garrison + 7th + fringe prospect for Vey.

But still, good trade.

Garrison cleared salary to sign Miller, so that's a bit of an unfair comparison. You can't looks at a Van Gogh up close and criticize the brush strokes.

Over a point per game in the AHL, and had 5 points in 12 NHL games last season. I know we don't really have a true #1 future centre in our prospect pool, but Vey might surprise a few people and have all the tools. He's primed for a big rookie season and will get the 3C spot to start with:

Sedin - Sedin - Vbrata

Kassian - Bonino - Higgins

Hansen - Vey - Jensen

Burrows - Richardson - Matthias

and only 5 guys playing out of position.

edit: and vey had 5 points in 18 games, not 12 games.

and have you ever made a post that didn't have a lineup in it?

Archived