The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser | #6 | RW

thejazz97

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Petey is great.  He’s a super duper star.  Bess has elite hands, and drives play in the ozone with his elite iq.  Think of Rick Middleton.  That’s BB

Yeah Brock can drive play in the ozone, but someone needs to get the puck there.

IMO he hasn't been as dangerous as we're used to seeing.

He has had so many opportunities to score this season playing with Miller and Petey but he has been struggling to capitalize on his chances.

He could easily have 20 goals by now and probably should playing on that line. Bo had a horrible start one year then turned it around in the new year and Brock isn't exactly playing awful.

He is getting points but he's not the Brockstar we're used to seeing so far. If he can get back to that then that line reaches a whole new level.

I have faith.

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

IMO he hasn't been as dangerous as we're used to seeing.

He has had so many opportunities to score this season playing with Miller and Petey but he has been struggling to capitalize on his chances.

He could easily have 20 goals by now and probably should playing on that line. Bo had a horrible start one year then turned it around in the new year and Brock isn't exactly playing awful.

He is getting points but he's not the Brockstar we're used to seeing so far. If he can get back to that then that line reaches a whole new level.

I have faith.

His shot seems to leave a bit to be desired, but his playmaking game seems to have taken a step up. If he could start scoring like he used to and have the 20 goals, he'd be all over the news with his dominance, which would be thrilling. 20 goals right now would give him 45 points in 40 games, besting even Petey in points.

Personally, I'd love to see him scoring more, but I won't complain so long as he's still producing. Assists mean goals and goals mean wins.

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

His shot seems to leave a bit to be desired, but his playmaking game seems to have taken a step up. If he could start scoring like he used to and have the 20 goals, he'd be all over the news with his dominance, which would be thrilling. 20 goals right now would give him 45 points in 40 games, besting even Petey in points.

Personally, I'd love to see him scoring more, but I won't complain so long as he's still producing. Assists mean goals and goals mean wins.

His shot seems completely off, to the point where he is always looking to pass it off to Petey or Miller instead of shoot it himself. Which makes me wonder, is it a confidence thing with him and hopefully something he can gain back over a summer of re-training? Or even worse, is it that his wrist gotten that bad over the last 2 years that it's diminished his shot? It wouldn't be the first time a guy had an injury where he was forced to play a different style of game...if this is the case it just shows you how talented Boeser is, because his play making ability like you said has gotten better and better as the season has progressed. I hope i'm wrong about his wrist but just seeing how hesitant he is to shoot lately, and when he does shoot, it's got nowhere near the zip that it used to...it is making me start to wonder.

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

I disagree with the playmaking comment. 

He forces a lot of plays that tend not to pan out, particularly noticeable on the PP. His production has more to do with the opportunities he's getting playing with much more better linemates in Petey, Miller and Hughes rather than it does his playmaking ability. Petey and Miller are our top 2 forwards right now and have been driving that line the majority of the time. People tend to overlook that fact because he has numbers but he is definitely benefiting from playing with Petey/Miller and Hughes on the PP. You take away those two players(Hughes/Miller) you see a significant drop in Boeser's point production.

Boeser hasn't been as consistent as his linemates. Still not saying he's been terrible just a little off overall. I think his playmaking is the same he's just not shooting it as much and has better linemates He's in the best environment to get back to where he used to be by playing with 2 consistent guys. People say "almost a ppg? little off? I'll take it!!!" but I would rather see him become that dangerous guy again and start potting in those sweet one ts from the point we've not seen in a while. If Boeser was was playing at the same level as Petey/Miller have this year instead of a couple steps behind they'd all have at least 50 points right now and be one of the best 1st lines in the league. 

Hopefully in 2020 Boeser can add another 20 goals. You Boes believe!!!

I dont get what others are implying other then that have high expectations, which ofc is a good thing. However BB has produced assists and is 2nd on the team in total points so the talk of him not producing seems like its the wrong conclusion. One thing u must keep in mind is the personal situation with his dad being seriously ill and hes a 22 y old guy who still has a lot to learn about becoming an adult. Its a bit like markys dad passing away, but marky is older and more mature. Life is not easy, u just gotta deal with it. In spite of this id say BB has done well and i think he will only get better as he grows and matures. I expect BB to be a 40-50 goal/season type of player within the next 3 years and together with EP they will be around +100p/season type of players for many years to come. Keep in mind they got a whole lot of growing to do and the potential to reach that level is very much a possibility for them. Much higher then with most players in the league. 

• Like 1

Boeser is shooting just as much as he has since he came into the NHL.

His shots on net have always been about 2.9 per game. His shooting percentage just happens to be down this year to 10.9%. Last year it was 12.4 and his first full year was 16.2.

Who knows where his S% settles out at.  He is playing very well right now.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Attila Umbrus said:

His shot seems completely off, to the point where he is always looking to pass it off to Petey or Miller instead of shoot it himself. 

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I think his playmaking is the same he's just not shooting it as much

2017/18  62 games played with 179 shots.   2.9 shots per game.

2018/19  69 games played with 209 shots.   3.0 shots per game.

2019/20  40 games played with 119 shots.    2.975 shots per game.

He shoots just as much this year as he always has. His S% is just lower.

Edit: The eye test does suggest he is not getting those highlight reel goals like the one where he stared Price down and sniped one. But the stats show is he getting just as many shots on net as he always have. Maybe the wrist issue is taking a bit of pepper off his shot??

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I disagree with the playmaking comment. 

He forces a lot of plays that tend not to pan out, particularly noticeable on the PP. His production has more to do with the opportunities he's getting playing with much more better linemates in Petey, Miller and Hughes rather than it does his playmaking ability. Petey and Miller are our top 2 forwards right now and have been driving that line the majority of the time. People tend to overlook that fact because he has numbers but he is definitely benefiting from playing with Petey/Miller and Hughes on the PP. You take away those two players(Hughes/Miller) you see a significant drop in Boeser's point production.

Boeser hasn't been as consistent as his linemates. Still not saying he's been terrible just a little off overall. I think his playmaking is the same he's just not shooting it as much and has better linemates He's in the best environment to get back to where he used to be by playing with 2 consistent guys. People say "almost a ppg? little off? I'll take it!!!" but I would rather see him become that dangerous guy again and start potting in those sweet one ts from the point we've not seen in a while. If Boeser was was playing at the same level as Petey/Miller have this year instead of a couple steps behind they'd all have at least 50 points right now and be one of the best 1st lines in the league. 

Hopefully in 2020 Boeser can add another 20 goals. You Boes believe!!!

Take Miller away from Petey and Boes and I bet you see the same thing. Add or remove any guy from the 1st line that's far better than the rest of the team and you'll see dramatic changes. I'm honestly not seeing it. The stats don't back it up, but all his critics say it's not a stats thing, it's an eye test thing. I'm watching the games and I don't see a Boeser that's playing poorly at all (aside from worse shooting, which I've mentioned). I suppose it has to be an agree to disagree thing since it's much much harder to get hard evidence once you choose to discredit statistics and rely solely on the eye test.

Still, I'll give you and others props for at least supporting Boeser even though you don't feel he's playing well.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

I think that Boeser is playing fine. watched him skate last night and I paid attention. he skated fine. as for passing , well some of the great passes he does to Petey are spectacular. if it wasn't for these passes Petey wouldn't have as many goals. the two of them along with Miller and Hughes are our best players on the team.!!!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Edit: The eye test does suggest he is not getting those highlight reel goals like the one where he stared Price down and sniped one. But the stats show is he getting just as many shots on net as he always have. Maybe the wrist issue is taking a bit of pepper off his shot??

You know why he's scoring less?

Because JT Miller is scoring more... The goals are more spread out now. Kind of like when Datsyuk and that other fella were leading the league and then they ended up both on Detroit and neither won the scoring title.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

15 minutes ago, 5Fivehole0 said:

You know why he's scoring less?

Because JT Miller is scoring more... The goals are more spread out now. Kind of like when Datsyuk and that other fella were leading the league and then they ended up both on Detroit and neither won the scoring title.

Not really, he's had his fair share of grade A chances. His accuracy isn't as great as it was his rookie season, thus as mentioned, his shooting percentage is lower.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, -AJ- said:

Take Miller away from Petey and Boes and I bet you see the same thing. Add or remove any guy from the 1st line that's far better than the rest of the team and you'll see dramatic changes. I'm honestly not seeing it. The stats don't back it up, but all his critics say it's not a stats thing, it's an eye test thing. I'm watching the games and I don't see a Boeser that's playing poorly at all (aside from worse shooting, which I've mentioned). I suppose it has to be an agree to disagree thing since it's much much harder to get hard evidence once you choose to discredit statistics and rely solely on the eye test.

Still, I'll give you and others props for at least supporting Boeser even though you don't feel he's playing well.

That's exactly my point. With better linemates you see better results. My second point was to that was he hasn't been as good as Petey and Miller so that line isn't as playing as great as it can be. The good thing is he isn't playing terrible and he isn't anchoring down the line but the lotto line can go from good to great and the #1 PP would be a lot more dangerous if he finds that goal scoring swagger again. Just needs to go on a goal scoring stretch like Petey and gain a bit more confidence.

I mean there's so many people saying the same thing. Perhaps they're harder on him than me but I don't think it is a coincidence. IMO the eye test don't lie and he's been a little off.

But yeah this is a hard thing to argue. Difference of opinion in regards to what I am seeing myself but I think and hope I am making some decent points. 

• Cheers 1

3 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Good catch finding this. It does seem like he is shooting less though? Probably because not as many are finding the twine.

• Cheers 1