The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Travis Hamonic on the trading block

1 minute ago, RWMc1 said:

It's sad to see the linesmen responding differently depending which teams are involved. In the Cup Finals there was a moment where Toes did a little circle before puffing up and confronting a Tampa player as the linesman got there. He knew full well that the linesmen and refs weren't going to allow anything to occur. That was a huge difference from the way they officiated the Canucks-Bruins Final. If you watch other games the bias becomes glaringly obvious.

Yeah. Well put. The officiating in the NHL is bush league. Atrocious really. 

6 hours ago, Drakrami said:

You must be more Garth Snow than Garth Snow. I bet Garth Snow doesn't even know as much as you wrote above. 

It's what's been put out there in the media, just consolidating it since people are still having trouble with some concepts.

5 hours ago, chickenman92 said:

I'm not sure if this has been brought up, but I don't think Hamonic has an NTC. The Isles can send him anywhere. Now I'm not sure you want to do that because Hamonic is pretty well liked on their team, as well as, who's to say if he'd report to his new team - dealing him to a team where he wants to go would be the route that has the least amount of friction. 

Honestly, I think Edmonton is the likely place he ends up, the question I have is if the Isles have any interest in Schultz or whether they'd prefer a forward like Eberle or Yakupov.   

No, he doesn't, but if they want to trade him to Dallas or something that doesn't help Hamonic with his personal situation so he might as well stay with the Islanders. It might allow them to trade him to a team he hasn't asked for but is still helpful for him but it doesn't completely open up the field to all 29 teams.

4 minutes ago, elvis15 said:

It's what's been put out there in the media, just consolidating it since people are still having trouble with some concepts.

No, he doesn't, but if they want to trade him to Dallas or something that doesn't help Hamonic with his personal situation so he might as well stay with the Islanders. It might allow them to trade him to a team he hasn't asked for but is still helpful for him but it doesn't completely open up the field to all 29 teams.

Precisely. Why would Florida/Tampa/Dallas etc even trade for a guy who clearly wouldn't want to play there? They'd just be in the same boat as NYI and he'd likely prefer to simply stay in NYI which I'm sure THEY'd prefer as well.

46 minutes ago, DeNiro said:

Trade Vrbata for Tinordi to add some more toughness to our D. Maybe send Weber back to Montreal with him.

Edler Tanev

Hutton Hamonic

Sbisa Tinordi

Bartkowski

Its too bad Pedan is not further along in his development right now he would be huge respect maker in the back end.Not sure about his concussion status from what I am led to believe he may have had few perhaps one too many ? but not sure.

1 hour ago, Mackcanuck said:

Class move by Sbisa

Canucks News Daily ‏@CanucksNow  17m17 minutes ago

Nikolaj Ehlers said he got a text from Luca Sbisa apologizing for the hit in Wednesday's game. #Canucks

Did Peluso send Sbisa a text? Or did the refs for letting that one sided fight occur?

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

How so?

It's actually quite fair player for player if you disregard the contracts

Ahh, but you can't disregard the financial aspect now can you.  Just my take on it but I see Hamonic/Barrie a very close wash on the ice (although admittedly they bring slightly different skill sets to the team -one more offensive while one more defensive) but Hamonic gets the edge because of his very friendly contract while Barrie is RFA soon and won't come cheap to re-sign.  Strome's potential exceeds MD's IMO and therefore he gets the edge so overall, I would see that as a loss for NYI if that happened. 

After thinking it over carefully, I don't think Hamonic or Barrie is the answer. Yes, it would be a quick interim fix, but we'd be giving up assets. Those same assets are probably worth quite a bit more at the trade deadline than they are right now. 

Main reason this isn't the answer? Because next year, we may have a different story:

6'7, 227lbs and 6'5, 214lbs = 13' - 441 lbs  

nikita_tryamkin_avtomobilist.jpgandrei_pedan_bridgeport.jpg

Keep the assets for picks at the deadline instead. Help will be on the way soon enough.

He won't be a Canuck as much as we'd all like to se it. He goes to Winnipeg, Calgary or Edmonton. I bet Snow gets him to Winnipeg where he would ultimately like to go the most. Islanders want a top 4 NHL defenseman in return, Winnipeg and Calgary have the best options to work a trade. We don't have anyone that could make the deal work unless Edler would waive his NTC which I highly doubt he would do.

7 minutes ago, ThaManbeast said:

Canucks don't get him unless Edler waives. Which he won't.

This is what Edlers views were concerning trade rumours in 2014

"There is an awful lot of rumors," Edler told Swedish media outlet Expressenlate last week via google translate. "It's not something I think about. As long as Vancouver wants me, rumors mean nothing."

"In the end, I get to decide [for myself]," Edler told Expressen, "but if the team wants [a trade] ... well, then you get to decide whether you want to play for a team that does not want you."

http://www.thescore.com/news/537656

It's clear that Hamonic's agents tried to get this ball rolling in the summer and Snow either couldn't or wouldn't get it done.  Now they (Hamonic and his agents) have taken it to the next level which is to make it public and put pressure on Snow.  But at the same time they've handicapped (imo) the Islanders and Snow because now they will be trading from a position of weakness/necessity instead of a position of strength/opportunity - but Hamonic obviously doesn't care about the Islanders more than his own situation so what does it matter to him if NYI don't get fair value in return.  Why would the Jets (or anyone else) do a lateral trade when you get like player for like player....... you wouldn't unless NYI throw something to sweeten the pot - therefore NYI lose this trade no matter what.

Not sure if it got posted but Drance did a writeup for the Jets' blog on the Hamonic rumours and their reluctance to include Myers or Trouba.

http://jetsnation.ca/2015/11/20/report-jets-the-preferred-destination-for-manitoba-born-hamonic-but-loathe-to-give-up-myers-trouba-in-trade

Rumour being that's who the Isles are asking for, but the Jets are very hesitant because Myers is locked up longer term at a better contracts cost-wise than even Hamonic's. Myers' deal gets cheaper in salary each year (where Hamonic's is more than his cap hit). Trouba is due a raise but will still be pretty cost-effective.

I'm sure they'd rather move Byfuglien since he'll be expensive even if the on ice product is so good, but they'd have to make the Isles bite.

22 minutes ago, gizmo2337 said:

After thinking it over carefully, I don't think Hamonic or Barrie is the answer. Yes, it would be a quick interim fix, but we'd be giving up assets. Those same assets are probably worth quite a bit more at the trade deadline than they are right now. 

Main reason this isn't the answer? Because next year, we may have a different story:

6'7, 227lbs and 6'5, 214lbs = 13' - 441 lbs  

nikita_tryamkin_avtomobilist.jpgandrei_pedan_bridgeport.jpg

Keep the assets for picks at the deadline instead. Help will be on the way soon enough.

I love their size, but neither guy is at Hamonic's level.

Archived