The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Will FA allow JB to sell at TDL

Retinalz

We all know the Canucks are bottom feeders this year. However, with how bad the Pacific is, will FA allow JB to sell on players like Hammer and Vrbata at TDL? We all know we likely will not make the playoffs, but it is possible to still be in the running come TDL due to how awful all the teams, except Kings, are in our division.

Actually a very interesting question.

I believe we COULD lose Hamhuis, Vrbata and Burrows/Higgins to trade and STILL possibly be competitive to within 4-5 points of a playoff spot due to how terrible this division is.

That is of course unless the Ducks, Oilers and Flames start heating up.  Flames more so than they are and Oilers depending on McJesus of course and some possible TDL defensive help

39 minutes ago, Retinalz said:

We all know the Canucks are bottom feeders this year. However, with how bad the Pacific is, will FA allow JB to sell on players like Hammer and Vrbata at TDL? We all know we likely will not make the playoffs, but it is possible to still be in the running come TDL due to how awful all the teams, except Kings, are in our division.

The impending FAs are far more valuable on the trade front then they would be in the playoffs. 

I get that it's Aquilini's team and all, but why hire guys to run it if he's just going to micro-manage all the time? He watches the games and must know by now that this team is going nowhere fast, so is hamstringing the team for the future just to maybe get a couple of playoff gates this year really worth it? If Aquilini were a savvy businessman I'd think he would want the team to be strong down the road, a contender that can go deep every year, not just a team that scrapes into the playoffs only to be a minor speedbump for an actual cup threat. 

I do hope that FA is sensible enough to let Trevor and Jim do their jobs unimpeded.

I have serious doubts that Aquaman would block any trade at this point. Two or three playoff home games are nothing to him, dollar wise. Maybe (doubtfully) he's concerned about losing some season ticket holders next year, but the Canucks are a hugely profitable team, playoffs or not. 

If three or four mil was anything to him, why would he allow JB to spend to the cap ceiling? Yes, JB wants the kids learning in a winning environment, which is great, but... the team is very injured and losing, lacks depth and badly needs not only cap space, but quite a few more blue chip prospects if we want to win a cup in the next decade. So this year seems like a great year to throw in that white towel and sell. 

Then we can get back to that whole "winning environment" thing next year, because we got scammed by those darn injury bugs this year.

I think he wants to watch his team win games, I also think he's smart enough to see the Canucks aren't a contender, the timing is right to sell at TDL, see what trader Jim can do at the draft, and hope to sign a few good ufa's in July to have a contender again.

A dumping of stale core would be very positive moving forward, and very few people actually expected the Canucks to actually do well this year.

It's an interesting year for sure. Not only do we have a glut of valuable UFA's and RFA's happening in the same off-season, there's a number of teams with high quality players who just aren't working that well together (I'm looking at you Anaheim, Pittsburgh, T-Bay, Edmonton). Add to that there's seems to be more than the usual amount of player controversies in play (Johansen, Hamhuis, Stamkos, Kopitar, Bernier etc). I honestly think that the first seller to the table will get burned, and I truly believe it to be a buyer's market. Does JB have any chips to pass out? Yes. Burrows is a proven playoff workhorse, as is Higgins as a role player (that extra piece needed to push a team over the top). There's also Vrbata, would be an incredible piece on a team that has 5 top 6 players and is playing a talented but over-matched player on their 2nd line...adds that depth needed (Bergevin are you listening?)

Sadly I think the best players this year may be quality NHL players on contracts under a mil and longer than 1 year. GM's (buyer's) will want to save their pennies for this year's off-season studs. So we could see something as crazy this year as a good NHL'er going for just a 2nd, and in the next deal a 19 year old on an ELC goes for a 1st...all in the name of cap clearing. Any other year GM's keep the NHL'er, but there's just too many good Free Agents that are tempting, and once the dominoes start falling, they'll start paying bigger and bigger ransoms, but they'll need cap space to play.

13 minutes ago, ABNuck said:

It's an interesting year for sure. Not only do we have a glut of valuable UFA's and RFA's happening in the same off-season, there's a number of teams with high quality players who just aren't working that well together (I'm looking at you Anaheim, Pittsburgh, T-Bay, Edmonton). Add to that there's seems to be more than the usual amount of player controversies in play (Johansen, Hamhuis, Stamkos, Kopitar, Bernier etc). I honestly think that the first seller to the table will get burned, and I truly believe it to be a buyer's market. Does JB have any chips to pass out? Yes. Burrows is a proven playoff workhorse, as is Higgins as a role player (that extra piece needed to push a team over the top). There's also Vrbata, would be an incredible piece on a team that has 5 top 6 players and is playing a talented but over-matched player on their 2nd line...adds that depth needed (Bergevin are you listening?)

Sadly I think the best players this year may be quality NHL players on contracts under a mil and longer than 1 year. GM's (buyer's) will want to save their pennies for this year's off-season studs. So we could see something as crazy this year as a good NHL'er going for just a 2nd, and in the next deal a 19 year old on an ELC goes for a 1st...all in the name of cap clearing. Any other year GM's keep the NHL'er, but there's just too many good Free Agents that are tempting, and once the dominoes start falling, they'll start paying bigger and bigger ransoms, but they'll need cap space to play.

or they're rentals and the cap is a virtual non-factor given the techniques at GM's disposal and the pro-rated nature of the cap.

nice conspiracy though

6 minutes ago, Edlerberry said:

or they're rentals and the cap is a virtual non-factor given the techniques at GM's disposal and the pro-rated nature of the cap.

nice conspiracy though

Yes players will be rentals, but what are they next then? UFA's. And there's a bunch of them.

And it's not a conspiracy...it's simple economics. Check out all the UFA's...and check out the quality RFA's available. Teams this year just simply cannot sign both (look at T-Bay as a classic example). This year will truly be a year of readjustment, realignment and parity, more-so than in previous years.

And the new era of NHL economics has begun.

From an overall team growth perspective you trade as many 'expendable' assets/contracts as you can at the deadline and set yourself up nicely for the future - Hammer, Virby,  Higgy, Burr, Miller, etc.... 

From the perspective of an owner whom I personally believe is maneuvering to sell the team (admittedly just a hunch), you keep the veterans and push hard for the playoffs making up some lost revenue in a one-and-done playoff round and at the same time making the sale of the team more appealing to perspective buyers  (playoff team vs a lottery team and all that).  

One thing is for certain,  this year's deadline will tell us if Aquaman really is or isn't interfering with the management of the on-ice assets of this club imo.  

14 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

From an overall team growth perspective you trade as many 'expendable' assets/contracts as you can at the deadline and set yourself up nicely for the future - Hammer, Virby,  Higgy, Burr, Miller, etc.... 

From the perspective of an owner whom I personally believe is maneuvering to sell the team (admittedly just a hunch), you keep the veterans and push hard for the playoffs making up some lost revenue in a one-and-done playoff round and at the same time making the sale of the team more appealing to perspective buyers  (playoff team vs a lottery team and all that).  

One thing is for certain,  this year's deadline will tell us if Aquaman really is or isn't interfering with the management of the on-ice assets of this club imo.  

I too believe FA wants to sell the team and has given TL/JB the mandate to make the playoffs at all reasonable costs (obviously some guys will be untouchable).  

This deadline will tell us who's really pulling the strings imo. 

I watched the Ducks play against Calgary yesterday and I must say they trapped the hell out of them. I could say the Ducks are slowly coming back. With a improved Calgary, SJ and Ducks I don't see the Canucks' being in the pack come TDL. It's Benning im worried about, I know if we are 4 points out he will not move Vrbata which will be the biggest blunder. Let's see what he does but I know for a fact Canucks' will be looking from the outside come TDL because SJ,Calgary and Anahiem all look like they have got going again. Yes, even the Sharks are not as bad as of a team.

14 hours ago, Fanuck said:

14 hours ago, PlanB said:

I too believe FA wants to sell the team and has given TL/JB the mandate to make the playoffs at all reasonable costs (obviously some guys will be untouchable).  

FA wants to sell the team?  Hogwash!  You guys are trolling and just want to stir the pot a little.

1 hour ago, Crabcakes said:

FA wants to sell the team?  Hogwash!  You guys are trolling and just want to stir the pot a little.

From Canucks Army:

The Canucks could be getting new owners sooner than expected.

With on-ice performance declining over the past five years, the Canucks franchise has suffered a decline in both ticket prices and attendance; a scary trend for any team. After factoring in a struggling Canadian dollar, the Aquilinis are in a tough situation with the state of the franchise.

Jason Botchford of the Vancouver Province reported earlier this week that the Aquilllinis are going to get a valuation of the franchise, which it has been rumoured they are looking to sell for a couple of years. There are a lot of things working against the business side of the Canucks right now, and the Aquilinis might feel it is time to cash in on the franchise now before the franchise loses too much value. The franchise that was valued at $800 million USD in 2014 by Forbes is not growing at the same extent that it was a few years ago.

When it comes to ticketing, the Canucks have seen a strong decline from their 2010-11 season to now. Per TiqIQ.com, the value of Canucks tickets in 2014-15 were a tad over $51 cheaper than tickets in 2010-11, and around $26 cheaper than tickets in 2013-14. Attendance last season was the lowest it had been in the past five years, with Rogers Arena only being filled to 98.9% capacity on average. While it doesn't seem like much of a hit, when you factor in cheaper tickets on average, the yearly value for Canucks tickets were down $40.91 million compared to 2010-11, or $990,000 per game. While that was during the Canucks' most successful season, it is a trend that has continued every year. Compared to the lockout shortened season, the team is down $540,000 per game in ticket value. While the 2013-14 ticketing information is skewed due to the Heritage Classic, it is safe to say the Canucks were still declining that year.

From a business perspective, it is a tough trend to deal with and can explain why management is focused on making the playoffs every year rather than full on rebuilding. It also helps explain the direction in which Linden, Benning, and the rest of the management team are taking, as they brought in players that will earn fan support even through difficult losses. These moves both help maximize the value of the franchise in the short term, while potentially harming it in the long run.

Also, this summer it was reported that Mike Gillis asked to rebuild in 2013, but was shot down. For owners looking to stick with a team for the long run, it would make more sense to take a hit in order to get back to the success they have when winning. However, for owners looking for a short term gain, pushing for the playoffs makes more sense. If the Aquilinis are really contemplating selling, then they would not want to rebuild. Instead, they would opt for pushing for the playoffs.

If there is anything more disturbing than the above for the Aquilinis, it is the fact that the Canucks failed to sell out in their home opener this year, making it the first time in over 10 years that they have failed to do so. Out of the 20 other teams that have had their home opener, only the New Jersey Devils and New York Islanders failed to sell out their openers.

Furthermore, there may not be a better time to sell a franchise than now. There are a number of potential owners who want to dip their feet into the NHL market, and with the NHL announcing there is no planned expansion for the 2016-17 season, the threat of a new team entering the market is none for at least another season. That, and the fact that the rumoured expansion fee is $500 million will help persuade some prospective owners into trying to find a current team to buy if they are not concerned about location.

Quite possibly one of the most overlooked aspects in the direction a team is heading on ice is the ownership group. When you look at a franchise like the Buffalo Sabres, who were purchased in 2011 by Terry Pegula, you can see the impact an owner has on a team. Pegula stated that he wants to bring a cup to the Sabres, and that is the sole purpose of the franchise now. The Sabres traded a few years of poor on-ice product in exchange for a winning franchise. While they are working towards the latter, they have been clear throughout the entire process with their fans. The fans, in turn, bought into the plan in the hopes of reaping the rewards of a successful franchise.

Given the path the Canucks have taken in recent years, it makes sense that the Aquilinis are considering selling the franchise. It could mean more years of being a fringe playoff team rather than rebuilding more aggressively. However, fresh owners would be a welcoming and invigorating change to the organization, especially one committed to winning like Pegula.

Thank you, Fanuck.  I take back the troll comment.

It's not you trying to stir the pot.  It's Canucks Army.

Actually, Acquilini said exactly the same thing as Pegula did when he bought the Canucks.  He wants to bring a cup to Vancouver.  He's invested heavily in player development since the failed cup run by purchasing the team that became the Utica Comets.  FA has also made a tidy packet on his investment since he bought the team.  Forbes Magazine lists the purchase price in 2005 at $207M and the 2015 value at $745M.  If he cashes out, who could blame him but anybody in the know is aware that there are a few tough years ahead and the fans can be fickle as we have seen from the decline in attendance.  Revenues have been sliding for a number of years.  It's hardly an ideal time to sell.  The on ice product is clearly in a renewal phase.  Perhaps FA is thinking of taking advantage of the low dollar since the currency of the NHL is $US.

I also question whether Acquilini fibbed to Trevor Linden when he took the Presidents job only 2 years ago on the promise of a stable ownership group.

On 31/12/2015 at 10:49 PM, PlanB said:

I don't think so. FA only owns 50% of the Canucks. His ex wife owns the other 50%. Hard to imagine he sells to give her half.

Archived