The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Loui Eriksson | #21 | LW/RW

-SN-

Well, with the Expansion draft supposedly being held at the end of next season, and the Corona virus happening now, I could see them allowing 1 compulsory buyout

this year, and another next, instead of 2 next year, as like in the Vegas Expansion draft.

Teams, will have to be careful, not to spend too much this year, and not have enough next year...….

It solves this years problem, and keeps control of the process. I do not see the Cap going up...…...maybe not even next year, and if we go into recession, we may not even see that TV contract, that is supposedly enroute.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

Well, with the Expansion draft supposedly being held at the end of next season, and the Corona virus happening now, I could see them allowing 1 compulsory buyout

this year, and another next, instead of 2 next year, as like in the Vegas Expansion draft.

Teams, will have to be careful, not to spend too much this year, and not have enough next year...….

It solves this years problem, and keeps control of the process. I do not see the Cap going up...…...maybe not even next year, and if we go into recession, we may not even see that TV contract, that is supposedly enroute.

The RFAs this summer are really going to get chopped I think.  With the season likely not going to finish, that’s a lot of lost revenue.  Cap will stay the same, but escrow will be crazy high.  I can see lots of RFAs signing one year deals in hopes of getting better dollars next summer.  Maybe we could sign Tanev and Tofu to one year deals?  I think Marky is just too good to nay get a one year deal.  Someone will give him term and top dollar.  Hoping it’s us though.  

19 minutes ago, Alflives said:

The RFAs this summer are really going to get chopped I think.  With the season likely not going to finish, that’s a lot of lost revenue.  Cap will stay the same, but escrow will be crazy high.  I can see lots of RFAs signing one year deals in hopes of getting better dollars next summer.  Maybe we could sign Tanev and Tofu to one year deals?  I think Marky is just too good to nay get a one year deal.  Someone will give him term and top dollar.  Hoping it’s us though.  

Well, I would think a lot of Owners with new money, will have taken a bath on the stock exchange and if there is a recession, guys like Aqualini will take a bath in realestate......

So, there might not be a lot of money around for a few years. It will definitely have an impact on RFA's and UFA's

But in the end, greed will win out!

6 hours ago, Provost said:

They won’t let the cap go down Even with a compliance buyout... it is a one time scenario, so I am sure they will figure a way to keep it flat and recoup the money eventually.

Once Seattle comes on-board it is going to give league-wide cap relief as the same amount of committed contract dollars get spread a little thinner.  It will help self correct things with teams up against the cap and also having money to pay free agents.

I think Seattle will help some teams and not others

they will take some MA Fleurys but also some Fantenburgs

not too likely they take Ericksson, Baer, Rooster or Sutter

more likely a MacEwen which would hurt and not save us any money

• 2 weeks later...
18 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

If the NHL stays on pause longer than expected Eriksson might just decide to call it a career. This would work out well for the Canucks 

How so?  Loui is still owed 8 million dollars. Why would extra time off make him retire? Makes zero sense.

image.png.1575f0e4107cfae131c18e628bc3c982.png

Much better chance the NHL has to give teams a buy out and the Canucks kick him to the curb that way.

Many teams will be screwed by the cap otherwise and the NHL will want to make money...so they will help teams out.

4 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

How so?  Loui is still owed 8 million dollars. Why would extra time off make him retire? Makes zero sense.

image.png.1575f0e4107cfae131c18e628bc3c982.png

Much better chance the NHL has to give teams a buy out and the Canucks kick him to the curb that way.

Many teams will be screwed by the cap otherwise and the NHL will want to make money...so they will help teams out.

The only way a compliance buyout will be on the table is if the cap drops significantly. If it’s flat there’s no way the owners will pony up huge buyout dollars so GM’s can temporarily fix their screwups. I’m not sure what imagined correlation between teams in cap trouble and the NHL making money is.  

This years losses will be split 50/50 by the players and the owners. (As per the CBA). Buyouts compound the losses for the owners.  If the cap stays flat I’d imagine the direction from the board of governors to the GM’s will be to “make it work”. Teams with cap space will be in a great position to get some quality players.  

20 hours ago, qwijibo said:

The only way a compliance buyout will be on the table is if the cap drops significantly. If it’s flat there’s no way the owners will pony up huge buyout dollars so GM’s can temporarily fix their screwups. I’m not sure what imagined correlation between teams in cap trouble and the NHL making money is.  

This years losses will be split 50/50 by the players and the owners. (As per the CBA). Buyouts compound the losses for the owners.  If the cap stays flat I’d imagine the direction from the board of governors to the GM’s will be to “make it work”. Teams with cap space will be in a great position to get some quality players.  

The majority of teams have very little cap room and that includes the teams that seem to get buttman to make rules that benefit them:

image.thumb.png.3b9befc253935e192199b47dffb19aa4.png

Toronto, Chicago, Boston: all in cap trouble.

Therefore, buttman will give each team a buyout in my opinion.

We shall see...

11 minutes ago, Kanukfanatic said:

The majority of teams have very little cap room and that includes the teams that seem to get buttman to make rules that benefit them:

image.thumb.png.3b9befc253935e192199b47dffb19aa4.png

Toronto, Chicago, Boston: all in cap trouble.

Therefore, buttman will give each team a buyout in my opinion.

We shall see...

Bettman literally has nothing to do with compliance  buyouts.  They have to be agreed upon by the board of governors (the owners) and the NHLPA.  The owners are already taking a loss this season. I doubt they want to add to those loses by giving spend happy GM’s an out on the bad contracts they signed.  Some rich owners might be ok with it, but I doubt there’s enough support from the bulk of ownership unless there’s a significant enough of a drop in the cap where every team is in trouble. If the cap is flat o don’t see it happening 

22 hours ago, qwijibo said:

Bettman literally has nothing to do with compliance  buyouts.  They have to be agreed upon by the board of governors (the owners) and the NHLPA.  The owners are already taking a loss this season. I doubt they want to add to those loses by giving spend happy GM’s an out on the bad contracts they signed.  Some rich owners might be ok with it, but I doubt there’s enough support from the bulk of ownership unless there’s a significant enough of a drop in the cap where every team is in trouble. If the cap is flat o don’t see it happening 

We shall see...

And as for your bolded, I think that is a bunch of crap. Buttman has his hand in everything with respect to how the NHL conducts business. The owners listen to whatever he says and credit him for making them hundreds of millions of dollars. So yeah...agree to disagree on your bolded 100%.

Edited by Kanukfanatic

6 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

We shall see...

And as for your bolded, I think that is a bunch of crap. Buttman has his hand in everything with respect to how the NHL conducts business. The owners listen to whatever he says and credit him for making them hundreds of millions of dollars. So yeah...agree to disagree on your bolded 100%.

I think Bettman is pretty much the spokesperson for the owners. Think of him as the CEO and all the owners as the board members. Board members (who represent ownership) are always above the CEO. I do think Bettman has significant influence, but I think it's far more likely that the owners are collectively telling him what to do, not the other way around.

• Cheers 2

On 4/3/2020 at 11:42 PM, -AJ- said:

I think Bettman is pretty much the spokesperson for the owners. Think of him as the CEO and all the owners as the board members. Board members (who represent ownership) are always above the CEO. I do think Bettman has significant influence, but I think it's far more likely that the owners are collectively telling him what to do, not the other way around.

He's still a significant part of the problem though.  Think Arizona is still allowed to bleed money with a commissioner who gives a damn about the sport?  Think the corruption in the officiating ranks might be addressed by someone with integrity?  The owners would be making even more money with competent,honest leadership instead of this crook.

It's in the owners' best interests to be able to ice competitive teams.  I think a buyout would be considered an acceptable cost of doing business by most reasonably intelligent owners.

Edited by King Heffy

22 minutes ago, gurn said:

I'd say yes, Arizona/Phoenix is the 11th biggest TV market in the states.

People get too emotional about this. The guy may be a greasy little slime ball I'd want nothing to do with personally, but he's done exceedingly well by the league/owners. There's a reason he's still the commish after all these years.

Edited by aGENT
  • Upvote 3

26 minutes ago, Slegr said:

Whether we get an extra buy-out or not, we just need to find a way to get this guy off the team. He's like Toby from the Office, and we're all Michael Scott.

he is the 'energy vampire' from What we do in the shadows

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Not going to lie part of me wonders if TG feels any inclination to use Loui Eriksson.

Sure he should have no reason to should everyone (cept Leivo) be healthy, but we have seen time after time Green going to the Loui Eriksson well of optimism.  Loui Eriksson for whatever reason still found himself for half the year on Bo Horvat's wing.  Even when healthy, Eriksson was still carving out a role somewhere in the lineup.

Not saying it will happen, but I would not be surprised at all of Green goes back to Loui Eriksson on some line to bring defensive awareness and certainty for the play in series against the Wild.

7 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Not going to lie part of me wonders if TG feels any inclination to use Loui Eriksson.

Sure he should have no reason to should everyone (cept Leivo) be healthy, but we have seen time after time Green going to the Loui Eriksson well of optimism.  Loui Eriksson for whatever reason still found himself for half the year on Bo Horvat's wing.  Even when healthy, Eriksson was still carving out a role somewhere in the lineup.

Not saying it will happen, but I would not be surprised at all of Green goes back to Loui Eriksson on some line to bring defensive awareness and certainty for the play in series against the Wild.

Not impossible. As disappointing as the rest of his play (and contract) is, he's one of our better defensive/PK forwards.

I'd be hard pressed to have him in my starting 12 though.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Roussel/Sutter, Gaudette, Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Roussel/Sutter

If Ferland is healthy, Gaudette might even be sitting. Not sure where you'd squeeze in Eriksson in that case!

Edited by aGENT
  • Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, aGENT said:

Not impossible. As disappointing as the rest of his play (and contract) is, he's one of our better defensive/PK forwards.

I'd be hard pressed to have him in my starting 12 though.

Miller, Pettersson, Boeser

Pearson, Horvat, Toffoli

Roussel/Sutter, Gaudette, Virtanen

Motte, Beagle, Roussel/Sutter

If Ferland is healthy, Gaudette might even be sitting. Not sure where you'd squeeze in Eriksson in that case!

I also find that so interesting too! Gaudette has been good at the 3C role, but considering how intense this series likely will be, and how much TG trusts veterans to play key match up roles, it does raise the question if TG's desire to match up lines affects Gaudette's placement in the lineup.

• Cheers 2