The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?

Roger Neilsons Towel

(Poll) Who should be the next Alternate Captain?  

284 members have voted

You do not have permission to vote in this poll, or see the poll results. Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.

Gudbranson might be a fantastic choice, but he's new, so I'm not so sure.

Hansen has said in the past that he doesn't see himself as a leader, so he's a no-go.

Tanev and Edler are both great options, but also don't seem to be the leader types, though Edler could be in the quiet sense, like Naslund.

Horvat is clearly set up to be a leader, but we don't want to pressure him too much at a young age.

Burrows would be the obvious choice, but his play has degraded so much that he's probably a bottom 6 forward at this point.

Sutter isn't bad, but didn't play much and is also fairly new to the team, like Gudbranson.

All in all, I went with Horvat, since frankly, many teams have had captains as young and younger than he, so him getting just the alternate captaincy at 21 shouldn't be too big of a deal. Edler is probably my next choice due to him being among the most experienced players on the team.

Some guys can speak well, some can play well but ultimately the best leadership is hard work.

Other assets of a leader include , diplomacy, humility and honesty.  

Bonus points for taking selfies with bricks of money or making death threats in the handshake line. Jk. 

Bo led, in his own little way , doing what he could in an injury depleted lineup.  

When his time came, I think, he did his best and just worked really hard on a terrible season getting 40 hard earned points.  That earns respect, people are always more inclined to listen to you when they truly respect you. 

Burrows deserves the A, but Horvat would be a decent choice too, nobody else but Tanev.  (Guddy doesn't get it! hasn't played a game yet...).  The team (both players and management) gushes over how good Burrows is with the younger players - which is leadership - sure he has missed a step and probably won't leave the penalty box on a lightning like game 7 break-away this season, but given where the team is and the challenges they will likely see, protecting Horvat one more year from this type of responsibility isn't a bad idea.   Horvat will end up with the A after Burrows if that is how things go, and possibly the C when Henrik retires or leaves the team - no need to rush this.

Another poll should be:  Who should be the second line center - Sutter- or Horvat? 

To me the easier assignments should go to Horvat, even though he did an admirable job last year as an injury replacement, I would like to see him build confidence and develop into something truly great...we all want that.

Brandon Sutter.  I think he has leadership quality, plays hard and bring a different perspective being fairly new to the Canucks.  He bring a new voice as oppose to the same old boys club of Sedins, Edler, Tanev, Burrows and Hansen.  We need to mix up leadership too.

I want Horvat to focus on in all-around game this year and established himself as a top 6, then he can wear the A.

Horvat will be the next captain.  Let him establish himself as a player before giving him the responsibility.  He will be a leader anyways.  The timing for giving him an A will be better in a year.  This is why I picked Burrows.

Burrows deserves the honour for his last year.

I say Hansen and Burrows could share it this year. They are both leaders, played long careers in Vancouver, and are community figures. They help the city.  Boho is too young in my opinion. I know he is a leader but this is a huge step for him, and could him his play this year. But most of these are good choices and I'm happy with whoever. As long as it isn't Larsen.

6 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

I say Hansen and Burrows could share it this year. They are both leaders, played long careers in Vancouver, and are community figures. They help the city.  Boho is too young in my opinion. I know he is a leader but this is a huge step for him, and could him his play this year. But most of these are good choices and I'm happy with whoever. As long as it isn't Larsen.

Yeah, I'm pretty sure there are a few votes that are pure trolling. -_-

9 hours ago, LaBamba said:

I picked Anton Rodin to be a bigger Jackass then the guy who picked Jake Virtanen. 

Exhibit A 

7 hours ago, GettinGuddyWithIt said:
9 hours ago, Roger Neilson's Towel said:

@GettinGuddyWithIt Did you vote for everybody?...

Caught me. I'm sorry I was bored:P

Exhibit B

:lol:

59 minutes ago, Stamkos said:

The one thing I have kinda picked up on over the years is Hansen acts like a clown most of the time. Not saying that's a bad thing, it's actually really awesome to have a guy like that on your team but in my experience in everyday life and sport they don't make the best leaders. You gotta have that leadership quality. I think Tanev is the obvious choice, I don't think we should add additional pressure to Horvat during his developmental stage. He needs all the freedom in the world right now.  

Archived