The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Benning's Failure as GM (Discussion)

J.I.A.H.N

Benning hasn't failed in my books.  Look at our prospect pool before he joined, and now look at it,  he's done what he's said he wants to do.

Build from the net out.  Our goaltending depth looks great,  he has built our D through the draft, trades and free agent signings.  Our D depth is very good. Now he will work on our forward group.  

I have alot of faith in JB.  I don't get what people expect from him in 2 seasons.  It takes a hell of alot longer than 2 seasons to build a cup contender.  But he has made some nice strides in those 2 seasons.  I do hope he gets some assets this trade deadline

I think people in this market are inpatient and unrealistic.  If you look at the big picture JB has done exactly what he said he will do since he got the job. Rebuild on the fly while being a competitive team, bringing up the young guys and having the vets teach them how to be pros.

If you blow it up to the extent this fan base wants to, the prospects end up like the Oilers now knowing how to be a pro. And how to win and conduct themselves on a day to day basis.

Whining and more pre-emptive whining. Trying to be competitive is not the same as win now or thinking we are contenders. That's just what CDCers with poor comprehension skills assume. Benning even came out and said that other teams were deciding if they were buyers or sellers depending on their positions in the Playoff picture. He can't force other teams to want our players. He's said numerous times that if a deal is there that will make our team better going forward, then he will make a deal. He's not just giving away assets to stop whiners from whining. I'm sure by now he knows that the whiners will whine no matter what.

Arizona is competitive, but building.

The Canucks are competitive, but expiring. 

Toronto, Carolina and Buffalo are also competive, but building something.

The Canucks are replacing one piece at a time through the draft with less than optimal amounts of draft picks during their vet's Swan song, because Slim says it won't be fair to do anything drastic, like trade Iginla-ish. 

Benning doesnt suck, but he's not great either. 

Here is the thing.  There has never been a GM in the history of the league that counts his team out in December, or January, and if there ever was, he was employed for about 20mins longer.  This is a business first, and his job is to fill seats.  With 70% of home games left, do you really think GMJB is going to just announce to the fans that this season is a wash.. in December?  Really?

50 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not concerned with Benning's drafting, as his early 1st round choices have been average at worst, and those picks by and large are still on the vine......no panic there! His picks in the later rounds have been stellar and his signing of NCAA free agents has been solid, so far.

His trading has been, average, but not bad, as we have picked up some good players in Baer and Granlund, while acquiring some duds in Vey and Clendenning(sp?), the Gudbranson trade is too early to tell as he has not put in a full season and McCann hasn't exactly lit it up.....let's wait and see on that on, no point panicking.....

Where Benning really falls down IMO, is in his evaluation of his teams chances of making the playoffs at the end of December and through January........this is the time where Benning should have a good amount of time to evaluate his team and the teams around him. By waiting and hoping for miracles, he let's teams fall away from the Playoff race and out of trading contention. The TDL is only a date in the sand and should not be the deciding factor in moving players. If they are to be moved at all.

Miller to Dallas would have been a option earlier on, before Dallas continued to tail spin, Miller to LA would have been an option before Budaj showed his wares......

I am not saying that they should have been moved that early, only that Benning's comments during those days, dis-clude this as an option, as he honestly sounded as if he thought we had a chance at the playoffs........something no one else honestly thought......he needs to improve on this weakness.

We shall see how this week turns out, but this is a concern of mine......and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

Great post!

Read the title and thought 'oh no not another I hate JB thread!'  Glad I read it.  You pretty much nailed it. The question is whether that is JB saying that because he actually thinks it, or is he saying that because ownership doesn't want to see a dip in ticket sales?  

Either way, by January a GM should be able to assess his teams likely chances and make moves accordingly. 

EW

31 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Could we all say he was a great GM if he unloaded at least some of those contracts? Maybe. Quinn would have've found a way to trade those guys, you can bet on that. 

You mean "Stand Pat" Quinn, the guy who was run out of town for being too loyal to certain players?

Yeah, I'm sure he would've. 

I'm going to give Benning one massive failure, only. That would be over-valuing Eriksson @ 6M yearly. I see the thought pattern behind signing him, but too much paid, and after one year, very little value. I will hedge this a little (just a little!) in looking at his past. Whenever he has changed teams, his first year is his worst; as he becomes familiar with the players and the system, he blends in better.

I fail to see why we would consider Benning an overall failure.

You point out lack of draft picks. Well, is it better to have the picks but fail to spot talent; we've already been down that road (sorry Gillis, your record in drafting was pretty abysmal). JB has used picks to get players ready to play, mostly. His worst on this (to me) is the 2nd for Vey; hey he looked promising but, as with many other players on many other teams, just wasn't NHL material.

You point out trades. True, not his best side, but in spotting the talent of Granlund and Baertschi, and apparently in Sbisa (finally) he doing somewhat better than treading water.

You point out trying to continually stress that the team's goal is the playoffs. Well DUH!!! Do you honestly think that there is a GM in the league that is going to come out and say "Well...I know we suck right now, so I'm going to make the team into a flea market for a couple of years to acquire draft picks. After that, when the team is all rookies and 2nd year players, hopefully I found a couple of gems that want to win and will influence the team. Otherwise, I'm sorry...I just figured out that since we suck, no free agents want to sign here amid the negativity of the fan base". Any GM that came out like out, wouldn't be a GM very long.

Has Benning been the best GM around? No...not everyone is Scotty Bowman. But, in looking at the team, in a long view, even without this year's draft, I feel there is a core that can be built around, of players that want it. Horvat is an absolute gem, there's not a team in the NHL that wouldn't give up multiple 1st round picks for him. Granlund is turning into a more talented Hansen. Baertschi, a fairly gifted player that fits on Horvat's wing like a glove. Sutter, yeah I'll give you some over-valuing, but I still want him on the team. Chaput, a more than capable 4th line center (since it looks like Cassels isn't going to turn out). Skille, another perfect 4th line player. An entire line of college players: Gaudette, Boeser and Lockwood. That leaves only a couple of wing spots to fill in. On D...Joulevi should be at least a top 2nd pairing, if not a decent 1st pairing. Guddy; jury is still out, but the physical skills are there. Tryamkin...Chara lite. Sbisa; he's been discussed ad nauseum, but I'll take him in a 3rd pairing rather quickly. Almost forget; Brisebois, Tanev 2.0 (?).For goal, Demko has the promise of at least Schnieder. These are all Benning picks (except Horvat). I'd say that's a pretty good core. I've been a fan long enough to have seen multiple GMs; I truly don't believe I've seen the team have a roster base for the future as deep as it is now. Yes, it lacks a game breaker or two; if we had one, he'd be on the team already! But, even just a few years ago, guys like....Yann Sauve...were the stars on our farm team ::D. Utica may not be tearing it up this year, but they're not an embarrassment either. The real future is the last 2 years of drafting, most of whom aren't in Utica, yet.

Give Benning a few more years. It usually takes around 5 years to rebuild a team completely, which is what he's trying to do, while still appeasing both ownership (who obviously want the playoff $$$) and the fan base (ie season tickets, and more $$$). This year's draft could yield another top flight D, or a potential 1st line center/wing in the form of Rasmussen (for example).  A couple of trades, either at the TDL or after the season, and possibly a late first (for Tanev, say), and there's a big Russian winger waiting to be scooped up.

39 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Why should it have to wait to happen?

Edmonton

Toronto

Arizona

Columbus

What do these teams have in common.

And please don't trot out McDavid/Matthews/Columbus' year this year.  These teams have sucked sucked SUCKED for over a decade with exactly 7 playoff appearances between them in 10 years.  That is 7 times these 4 teams have appeared in the playoffs in 10 years.

That is why it should wait.  You don't build depth, skill, experience over a single season or two.  You do not trade every single player with an NTC, Term, Cap hit in a single year.  it has taken since 2011 to turn the roster over thus far.  It takes 2 teams to make a trade.  it takes a player willing to move if they have an NTC/NMC.

Nothing happens without multiple pieces in agreement.

You don't have patience, that sucks.  You don't want to wait.  That sucks even more because what is coming over the next 3-5 years is gonna hurt.  A lot

59 minutes ago, janisahockeynut said:

I am not concerned with Benning's drafting, as his early 1st round choices have been average at worst, and those picks by and large are still on the vine......no panic there! His picks in the later rounds have been stellar and his signing of NCAA free agents has been solid, so far.

His trading has been, average, but not bad, as we have picked up some good players in Baer and Granlund, while acquiring some duds in Vey and Clendenning(sp?), the Gudbranson trade is too early to tell as he has not put in a full season and McCann hasn't exactly lit it up.....let's wait and see on that on, no point panicking.....

Where Benning really falls down IMO, is in his evaluation of his teams chances of making the playoffs at the end of December and through January........this is the time where Benning should have a good amount of time to evaluate his team and the teams around him. By waiting and hoping for miracles, he let's teams fall away from the Playoff race and out of trading contention. The TDL is only a date in the sand and should not be the deciding factor in moving players. If they are to be moved at all.

Miller to Dallas would have been a option earlier on, before Dallas continued to tail spin, Miller to LA would have been an option before Budaj showed his wares......

I am not saying that they should have been moved that early, only that Benning's comments during those days, dis-clude this as an option, as he honestly sounded as if he thought we had a chance at the playoffs........something no one else honestly thought......he needs to improve on this weakness.

We shall see how this week turns out, but this is a concern of mine......and I believe it has and will continue to cost us until he improves in this area

First of all for a rookie GM he's doing fine, remember he works for someone who has a plan and is being dictated from the owners about what they want. The owners want the play offs and everyone below them must follow suit. His first round picks are way to early to say they are average, maybe 3-5 years down the road we can judge those. Never does all the trades a GM makes work out, its a win some loose some kinda thing and with the position we were in when Benning took over I completely understand why he made those moves, trying to get some of those 20-24 year olds with some experience, high draft picks guys and I think we did well considering we hosed Calgary Twice with trades. People on here want perfection, and they want it right now and in reality thats not the way it works. I know people on CDC wish we had 4 first round first over all picks like edmonton or was able to grab a franchise players like Pittsburg or Toronto did but we didn't. We never tanked and were the worst team in the league for years like Edm, Hawks, LA, Toronto and pittsburg. People need to put things in perspective and chill, let the professionals do what they do and we'll have a contender soon I am sure.

1 hour ago, TheOgRook said:

You folks that like to complain about things you don't know about.. what team do you work for?? Because you must be employed by an NHL team to pass these kinds of judgments. 

This is thread is more of a failure than JB

Well said

14 minutes ago, MJDDawg said:

You mean "Stand Pat" Quinn, the guy who was run out of town for being too loyal to certain players?

Yeah, I'm sure he would've. 

Quinn dragging the franchise out of the gutter it was in (people complaining about the team now should see the state of the team when Quinn came aboard...) allows him a fair number of "mulligans" IMHO.

There's a difference between CDC's expectations and Benning's reality. Just because we feel he should sell off assets at every possible chance since we're a bubble team at best, doesn't mean that's his same outlook (or that of the owners). In fact, it's contrary to their mantra of trying to keep a competitive atmosphere for the young players to develop in.

And while we're on that subject, no, being competitive doesn't mean we have to be competing for the cup, but rather that we're competitive on any given night and aren't making it impossible to win. Just because we don't win most nights doesn't mean we aren't finding ways to be in games and know what that means for when we actually have the personnel that can compete with the top teams. That goes hand in hand with keeping some of the older players around while we develop leaders to replace them.

Of course, we can't get there by not getting some value out of declining or leaving assets. But then that's why we looked at trading Hamhuis and Vrbata last year, and why we've been bringing more and more youth into the lineup.

Perhaps we can debate his level of success and the urgency or thoroughness of his plans to get something back, but let's not mistake that for him not knowing exactly where we are as a team and how getting more picks would play to his strengths.

Benning has been good and bad.

Tradewise he's break even. For instance, Eriksson is the worst trade in Canucks history.

But snatching Baertschi and Granlund was brilliant

First round drafting it gets iffy. Jim is great at finding diamonds in the rough in later rounds and college. Tram and Stech. But I wish he'd just allow someone else to make the 1st round pick. This is of yuuuuuge importance to the team and his track record is not good. McCann,and Virtanen are still question marks while others taken just after them are flourishing. Now even Juolevi has been moved down to second pairing on his junior team, while Tkachuk is taking off in the NHL.  If we manage to get a high pick again this year I don't have a lot of confidence in JB for that first pick. I'd almost trust a CDC poll to pick the first rounder over JB.

29 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Watch CDC go ballistic when Hamhuis and Vrbata are traded for 1sts at TDL

#Stars letting the league know they are offcially sellers at trade deadline. Teams calling for Hamhuis past 24 hours.

Not that I trust the source, but Hamhuis having a 15-team trade list in his limited NTC with Dallas certainly makes that much easier than the circumstances Benning had last year (2-3 possible teams). The plebs of CDC can go ballistic all they want, it doesn't mean anything different from the rest of the times they overreact.

Dude man bro like whoa dude chill. Whats he supposed to do come out 2 weeks before deadline 4 points out of a playoff spot and say to the media this team has no chance at the playoffs we plan on dealing Hansen for a late 2nd Burr for a 5th and Miller is staying put because we don't think Markstrom is ready. Virtanen sucks and should be in Kalamazoo but like the Aquamen made me pick him. We have asked WD to sand bag this team and he's been doing a good job of that we plan on extending him another 3 years. And like I got drunk one night and signed Eriksson whoops. 

Just now, elvis15 said:

Not that I trust the source, but Hamhuis having a 15-team trade list in his limited NTC with Dallas certainly makes that much easier than the circumstances Benning had last year (2-3 possible teams). The plebs of CDC can go ballistic all they want, it doesn't mean anything different from the rest of the times they overreact.

Well, what did we get for Hamhuis and .Vrbata last TDL?  

Archived