The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

7 hours ago, Derp... said:

My only hope is that they dont send him down to "work on his defensive game" or something. That is always a creativity killer. If he gets sent down it should be with the mindset to score as much as possible and earn a top 6 call up. Will he have a learning curve in the NHL on the defensive side of the puck? Of course, but as a franchise you need the guy to be a 60 point player with decent 2 way game in about 3 years. 

Let it happen naturally while he uses his best assets to take him where he needs to go. 

Never mind 'defensive game'. He has a lot of work to do on puck pursuit, his ability to battle/retrieve pucks and playing with pace. Nobody's trying to turn him in to anything but a better (AKA: NHL) hockey player.

Being a more engaged player in the defensive zone doesn't make you worse offensively nor does it kill creativity. In fact it helps your offensive game if you are assisting in puck retrieval as it helps your team maintain possession.

• Upvote 2

Sure his defensive game needs improving but Goldy is an offensive player and for him to be successful he needs to do so offensively. That includes dramatically improving his puck pursuit and being strong on the puck because he was horrid last year at doing so.

• Upvote 1

If NG doesn't improve his puck pursuit and be harder on coming back on defence all his offencive skills will be cancelled out by a horrible plus minus.  If he gets sent down to Utica it will be to work on that.  I don't think you can be a top 6 forward without atleast an average defensive game as well.

2 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I don't think Goldobin is that great. 27th OA pick.. deffiently should have looked to shop Hansen elsewhere. ID say 3rd liner at best

I think Goldobin has top-6 upside as a scoring winger. His speed and and creativity are top-notch and he's produced at every level he's been at, including the top Finnish men's league and inthe AHL. 

I personally think the offense should be spread out so that gives guys like Goldobin and Boeser a shot at making the opening lineup. Have Henrik, Horvat, Granlund, and Sutter centre their own lines. Let Sutter have the responsibility of heavy d-zone starts so we can afford to shelter guys like Goldobin and Boeser. That way they can show and develop their offensive talent without having to worry too much about the defensive side of things (not saying they don't need to develop further defensively).

9 hours ago, J.R. said:

Never mind 'defensive game'. He has a lot of work to do on puck pursuit, his ability to battle/retrieve pucks and playing with pace. Nobody's trying to turn him in to anything but a better (AKA: NHL) hockey player.

If we want to summarize it, I guess we could say his play without the puck needs some work. 

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Hortankin said:

I don't think Goldobin is that great. 27th OA pick.. deffiently should have looked to shop Hansen elsewhere. ID say 3rd liner at best

Seriously? Goldobin has got top six potential for sure in the NHL. now whether he hits on his potential, that's another question entirely. 

I think he's got the desire, and humility to learn and grow in his game. He doesn't come across as a prick of a player. A player with confidence? Yes. A player humble enough to know that he's got flaws in his game, and that his coach (or coaches) are attempting to shore those areas of weakness up, so that he can be the superstar player he's got the potential to be. I think if he can shore up his areas of weakness even a little, he's going to go a long way this season. He can play on the offensive side of the puck no problem, it's the defensive side of the puck he needs to get better at. Do you send him down to the farm to do just that? Or do you work with him at the NHL level? 

1 hour ago, TheSnipeshow91 said:

at the same age, I'd say goldobin is ahead of baertschi offensively. If goldobin can become a better scoring baertschi I'd be more than satisfied

The thing with Baertchi is that he isn't a liability defensively.

8 hours ago, N4ZZY said:

Seriously? Goldobin has got top six potential for sure in the NHL. now whether he hits on his potential, that's another question entirely. 

I think he's got the desire, and humility to learn and grow in his game. He doesn't come across as a prick of a player. A player with confidence? Yes. A player humble enough to know that he's got flaws in his game, and that his coach (or coaches) are attempting to shore those areas of weakness up, so that he can be the superstar player he's got the potential to be. I think if he can shore up his areas of weakness even a little, he's going to go a long way this season. He can play on the offensive side of the puck no problem, it's the defensive side of the puck he needs to get better at. Do you send him down to the farm to do just that? Or do you work with him at the NHL level? 

IMHO this is what the upcoming season will be all about. Rotating waiver exempt players between Utica and Vancouver. Evaluation and development. Goldobin with his success and experience in the AHL should get a long look. He always runs the risk of being usurped by another prospect.

I do believe the Canucks have to many vets going into the season but injuries always seem to take care of that.   

14 hours ago, Hortankin said:

At least he can put up big numbers in the AHL. Can't say that about all of our "high end" prospects.

• Upvote 1

17 hours ago, Hortankin said:

Realistically most of CDC was predicting Hansens value at a 2nd rounder or 3rd+B prospect. Hansen ended up fetching essentially a first rounder+4th rounder with a slim opportunity of netting 2 first. I'm fully convinced that Hansen went to the highest bidder. You don't have to like Goldy (so far I'm still on the fence) but saying we should have taken him else where is poppycock. 

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, dpn1 said:

The thing with Baertchi is that he isn't a liability defensively.

To be fair, Baertschi was a liability defensively before the trade, but has significantly improved during his time here. Hoping for the same from Goldobin because with Baertschi type improvement physically and defensively combined with his offensive skill that he has already, that combination could be something special.

11 hours ago, Derp... said:

If we want to summarize it, I guess we could say his play without the puck needs some work. 

Exactly. Don't get me wrong, he has high end NHL offensive skills when he has the puck. The problem is the rest of the time he's on the ice without it.

This is the same nonsense we see in the Subban thread.

"Derp, we need goals! Subban/Goldobin score goals! Derp."

Just because a player has obvious offensive talent does not make them NHL ready and contrary to seemingly many people's concerns, that doesn't equate to trying to turn them in to a 'defensive player' or 'coach the creativity out of their game'. 

It's horse excrement. The only thing they're trying to do is make them actual NHL players that can stay in the league.

• Upvote 3

On 20/07/2017 at 4:57 PM, Hortankin said:

Ya.... Think it's time to just report lol. Maybe you just need our help. 

• Upvote 1