The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

I really think Jim Benning will try and Move Goldy for a young D man?

I could see Ottawa wanting to trade Cody Ceci, 25, 6'2 RD man contract ends RFA this summer 

making 4.3 million..

Ceci is a very good young D man would fit in with the core group here....

I like this kind of trade as we have to make room for Gaudette...

I would also listen to trades on Tanev and Sutter..We can not trade both Tanev and Edler need to keep one around for young D next season with Hughes, Juolevi on team.

14 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

... being a Devils Advocate,.  

There is some amazing chemistry between Pettersen and Goldobin.

I would prefer to see that develop into 2 possible opportunities for the Canucks.

1-  it’s a tandem that becomes outrageously good.

2- or it develops Goldobin into the player that becomes an asset to move next season, upping his worth.

.. perhaps a little patience here goes a long ways.

I still have a harder time with LE’s salary and what he has accomplished here in 3 or 4 seasons.

1 game, does not erase that.

Great post Sam. If there was someone seriously pushing from Utica I might disagree. Even at that there are a couple on the current roster I would move before Goldy. Canucks can pump players they might not want long term using the EP factor and likely get more value out of them. Goldy is a RFA next year and the only threat is his leaving for the KHL. That said I think the KHL and NHL are respecting their player contracts so Goldy might not be able to jump. 

• Like 1
  • Cheers 1

12 minutes ago, SilentSam said:

... being a Devils Advocate,.  

There is some amazing chemistry between Pettersen and Goldobin.

I would prefer to see that develop into 2 possible opportunities for the Canucks.

1-  it’s a tandem that becomes outrageously good.

2- or it develops Goldobin into the player that becomes an asset to move next season, upping his worth.

.. perhaps a little patience here goes a long ways.

I still have a harder time with LE’s salary and what he has accomplished here in 3 or 4 seasons.

1 game, does not erase that.

Strictly from a monetary vs points angle ..... not a hockey metric by any means but interesting aspect nevertheless.

Eriksson actual salary this year 7 mil.... GP, 47; 8G-11A-19 Pt's +/-  ...-7 Veteran player

Goldobin actual salary this year 832.5 thou.... GP, 44; 5G-18A-23 Pt's... -7 Sophomore player

I hope that they give Goldy a QO but if he does not continue to show improvement over the balance of this year and next year then it might be time to consider moving him. I think to do that now is a bit premature.

• Upvote 1

I think Goldy at the very most will have one more season to prove himself. I could see him getting a one-year "show me" contract as his final chance to stick in the big leagues or go home (or elsewhere in the NHL). Alternatively, I wouldn't be surprised if he just leaves this summer.

17 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I think Goldy at the very most will have one more season to prove himself. I could see him getting a one-year "show me" contract as his final chance to stick in the big leagues or go home (or elsewhere in the NHL). Alternatively, I wouldn't be surprised if he just leaves this summer.

Sounds like the Russian thing to do. Going home to play in a lesser (easier) league. Well, they can't all be Ovechkins and Malkins.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, aGENT said:

I have to assume Shadow has some sort of 'player dyslexia' and got that backwards :lol:

You don't think JV can skate fast? He won the competition......

5 hours ago, smokes said:

JV can't skate fast?  :shock:

Where in the heck did you read that? I said we can get a direct replacement of his skill set; someone that can skate fast and can't handle the puck.

"JV, pick up someone that can skate fast and have hands of stone in FA next year."

Edited by shad0w4life

5 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Sounds like the Russian thing to do. Going home to play in a lesser (easier) league. Well, they can't all be Ovechkins and Malkins.

Different lifestyle in the NHL as compared to any other league.  Goldy is a young guy, who seems to like the spotlight of the NHL.  I bet he likes the travel, the meals, and all the perks of the first class treatment too.

Saying that, his only option might be to go play in Russia.  

Reading comments from Benning etc., the Canucks seem to really like Goldobin and believe he just needs time. Fair enough, it's taking Jake quite a while to learn the 200-foot game. Thing is, Jake was able to play a year in Utica to hone his game, but Goldobin can't be waived. I really hope he turns out to become a great player, but watching him extend his stick to poke at a puck, instead of taking the body and battling for the puck, just isn't going to get it done. Goldy needs to get his hands dirty in this league (play with more heart). I sense that he thinks he's a seriously skilled goal scorer, but he has 5 goals so far (3 goals less than Eriksson).

Baertschi just returned after a serious concussion, missing a lot of time. In 17 games, he's already got 6 goals. Not sure what Goldobin's problem is.

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Reading comments from Benning etc., the Canucks seem to really like Goldobin and believe he just needs time. Fair enough, it's taking Jake quite a while to learn the 200-foot game. Thing is, Jake was able to play a year in Utica to hone his game, but Goldobin can't be waived. I really hope he turns out to become a great player, but watching him extend his stick to poke at a puck, instead of taking the body and battling for the puck, just isn't going to get it done. Goldy needs to get his hands dirty in this league (play with more heart). I sense that he thinks he's a seriously skilled goal scorer, but he has 5 goals so far (3 goals less than Eriksson).

Baertschi just returned after a serious concussion, missing a lot of time. In 17 games, he's already got 6 goals. Not sure what Goldobin's problem is.

You raise a very good observation.  Goldy does poke at pucks, which looks like he's avoiding contact. all our players need to battle hard for every puck.  I'd hope, when Petey comes back, Goldy will learn that same level of compete that Petey brings every moment he's on the ice.  

Maybe Goldy needs to learn to hate losing puck battles?  I wonder if he hates losing at anything?  Petey likely hates losing at everything.  

59 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Goldobin's average shot length is 30ft while Baer has the lowest on the team at 22ft.  Only Baer, Horvat, Leivo and Schaller shoot on average from under 25ft.  Boeser and Pettersson are at over 30ft.

Baer doesn't really have a shot that can beat goalies cleanly from afar à la Boeser/Pettersson.  His goals are typically from 15ft and under.  He scores by using his smarts - he knows how to find those holes in coverage around the net and he's got great hands in tight.  He has one of the highest shooting percentage in the league over the past 3 seasons.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, mll said:

Goldobin's average shot length is 30ft while Baer has the lowest on the team at 22ft.  Only Baer, Horvat, Leivo and Schaller shoot on average from under 25ft.  Boeser and Pettersson are at over 30ft.

Baer doesn't really have a shot that can beat goalies cleanly from afar à la Boeser/Pettersson.  His goals are typically from 15ft and under.  He scores by using his smarts - he knows how to find those holes in coverage around the net and he's got great hands in tight.  He has one of the highest shooting percentage in the league over the past 3 seasons.

Baertschi goes to the dirty areas, and plays with grit. He gets most of his goals near the net, some garbage goals (but they count). Goldobin waits in the safe areas for someone to pass him the puck. And even if he does get the puck, he easily loses it and then doesn't make the effort to get it back. If he's not scoring, he needs to help his team in other ways (forecheck, backcheck). He's not doing that.   

I am biased as anyone who follows CDC knows when it comes to Baer - I thought he was an outstanding junior and simply got into a Calgary organization that sucked at development for forwards during this time there.   He IS a very tough guy and does go to the tough areas.   Baer is EXACTLY what Goldy needs to become if he is going to stay in the NHL.  I don't think waiving him is a massive risk that some here think - right now not many are looking for potential, this is the time of year people need depth that will work for it.   You can plop him in the press box if you want but I think Canucks have to figure out sooner than later if he can become the type of player Baer is or simply not care if he is claimed as I was quite high on the young Russian earlier this year and late last but right now he simply is not playing like he really wants it - and that isn't how the rest of this current team is playing.   Compare Goldy's effort to EP40's.....night and day.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am biased as anyone who follows CDC knows when it comes to Baer - I thought he was an outstanding junior and simply got into a Calgary organization that sucked at development for forwards during this time there.   He IS a very tough guy and does go to the tough areas.   Baer is EXACTLY what Goldy needs to become if he is going to stay in the NHL.  I don't think waiving him is a massive risk that some here think - right now not many are looking for potential, this is the time of year people need depth that will work for it.   You can plop him in the press box if you want but I think Canucks have to figure out sooner than later if he can become the type of player Baer is or simply not care if he is claimed as I was quite high on the young Russian earlier this year and late last but right now he simply is not playing like he really wants it - and that isn't how the rest of this current team is playing.   Compare Goldy's effort to EP40's.....night and day.

i agree lad, i keep wanting him to prove me wrong but he  just frustrates me to , no end. on the first arizona goal, you could see him skate up the ice. the puck was behind our goal and players were fighting for it. when came out and arizona scored, they showed goldy, skating back from centre. i guess he was waiting for a stretch pass. how long can the team wait for him to be a reliable canuck. one or two good passes a game, just isn't enough. 

Edited by smithers joe

17 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I am hoping that they continue to play him up to the TDL. If Benning judges he does not fit long term then move him in a deal. That said I am not that convinced the team will make the playoffs so if other players are moved then keep Goldy and make the decision on his future next fall. 

• Upvote 1