The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

Are there any concerns Goldy goes back to Russia (KHL) if he gets sent to Utica?  

Guys on 650 talking about the potential of that happening, especially considering Tryamkin's choice to leave after (in his mind) he felt he was not fairly treated when it came to playing time.

Edited by Alflives

• 2 weeks later...
2 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

Glad you concurred.  Actually was posting about his new number but I don't have 100% confirmation.  On the radio they said he's wearing 73 now.

Haha oh right on. 73 is such a strange choice, any meaning? 

2 hours ago, cyoung said:

Haha oh right on. 73 is such a strange choice, any meaning? 

Maybe he is a Big Bang Theory fan?

• Sheldon: "The best number is 73. Why? 73 is the 21st prime number. Its mirror, 37, is the 12th and its mirror, 21, is the product of multiplying 7 and 3... and in binary 73 is a palindrome, 1001001, which backwards is 1001001."
  • Sheldon: "Chuck Norris wishes... all Chuck Norris backwards gets you is Sirron Kcuhc!"' 
Edited by Rob_Zepp
  • Upvote 4

Invisible so far in training camp for a guy who says he wants to make the big club. He is not as engageged as he should be in plays so he looks a step too slow, always chasing the game. He is where Baertschi was when he got here 2 years ago, not being hard enough on the Puck and expecting it to just happen. Baertschi got it, but doesn't appear that Goldobin has yet. His pro game is far from complete, especially on the defensive side of the game as he often seems disinterested in his assignments or maintaing poor gap control and pressure. Just have to be patient and see if he does figure it out but at the moment his recent development and progression has not been promising. 

1 hour ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Invisible so far in training camp for a guy who says he wants to make the big club. He is not as engageged as he should be in plays so he looks a step too slow, always chasing the game. He is where Baertschi was when he got here 2 years ago, not being hard enough on the Puck and expecting it to just happen. Baertschi got it, but doesn't appear that Goldobin has yet. His pro game is far from complete, especially on the defensive side of the game as he often seems disinterested in his assignments or maintaing poor gap control and pressure. Just have to be patient and see if he does figure it out but at the moment his recent development and progression has not been promising. 

This.

Though he did look moderately improved last game. Still Utica bound though barring a 180 on those things.

4 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Pretty much what I have noticed since he got to Vancouver. The guy has all the skill in the world but seems disinterested at times which I think leads to him looking slow out there and chasing the puck most of the time. While I dont hold out high hopes that he sticks with Utica, I would love to see him develop his game down there this year and try again with the big club next season. 

So when I was in grade 10 we received a presentation from an OHL player Connor Schlichting. During the Q&A session afterwards, the topic of work ethic came up, and Connor basically said that what he noticed during training was that generally the better NHL players put much more effort into training than everyone else. But then he said there was an exception of the Russian players on his team, that they didn't really train that much, but regardless were still really good because of how skilled they were. I was thinking back to this story today and went on Hockeydb, and surprisingly enough, found out that the year that he gave this story, none other than Nikolay Goldobin was the leading scorer on the team. Now it's also possible that he was talking about the other Russian import on the team, but just something to consider.

• Upvote 1

I think Goldy has read the tea leaves and know he is going to have to start in Utica....now that Boeser has been scoring and playing well there isn't even enough time left to try to outplay him...and with all the new guys there is now no hope...even if he scores a goal a game for the last 2 it won't be enough....2 goals/game isn't enough either really....

12 hours ago, Theguy445 said:

So when I was in grade 10 we received a presentation from an OHL player Connor Schlichting. During the Q&A session afterwards, the topic of work ethic came up, and Connor basically said that what he noticed during training was that generally the better NHL players put much more effort into training than everyone else. But then he said there was an exception of the Russian players on his team, that they didn't really train that much, but regardless were still really good because of how skilled they were. I was thinking back to this story today and went on Hockeydb, and surprisingly enough, found out that the year that he gave this story, none other than Nikolay Goldobin was the leading scorer on the team. Now it's also possible that he was talking about the other Russian import on the team, but just something to consider.

Except players who don't work have to be carried by the others. This can actually drag the performance of these other players down and will make the lazy player look better. Let's face it if the whole team had Goldy's attitude they would soon wither and guys like Goldy would be an ineffective side show. 

I would much rather tout a player like Baertschi who was similar to Goldobin and just as skilled, however he transformed his game to a much higher level when he was "shown the light"

I have no time for making excuses or exceptions for lazy players. This is a team game. Even Jake seems to have transformed his game now because he seems to realise that hard graft will eventually lift your game.

8 hours ago, alfstonker said:

Except players who don't work have to be carried by the others. This can actually drag the performance of these other players down and will make the lazy player look better. Let's face it if the whole team had Goldy's attitude they would soon wither and guys like Goldy would be an ineffective side show. 

I would much rather tout a player like Baertschi who was similar to Goldobin and just as skilled, however he transformed his game to a much higher level when he was "shown the light"

I have no time for making excuses or exceptions for lazy players. This is a team game. Even Jake seems to have transformed his game now because he seems to realise that hard graft will eventually lift your game.

Exactly right! I haven't seen enough out of him yet to think he will have a roster spot. We will see how he does with the vets coming back. Floaters with skill always get a 2nd look in hopes they 'get it' or their team mates have a talk that sinks in.  Odds are that the light bulb never shines. 

Is he waiver eligible? I thought he has looked better. You can see the offensive skill is obvious. Just even in how he moves the puck on the powerplay and different little things like. He's been working harder battling for the puck too. (Atleast I thought in the Edmonton game)

Its going to be hard for him to make the team but he should get a shot at some point this year. 

1 minute ago, Smashian Kassian said:

Is he waiver eligible? I thought he has looked better. You can see the offensive skill is obvious. Just even in how he moves the puck on the powerplay and different little things like. He's been working harder battling for the puck too. (Atleast I thought in the Edmonton game)

Its going to be hard for him to make the team but he should get a shot at some point this year. 

Quite likely, although if Jake goes down he is probably behind him.  Could well see him by the TDL though, depending on what all shakes out.

I think Goldobin is likely to start the year in Utica and be at the top of the list for call ups for injury replacements. I think he still needs to fix certain parts of his game to be a really effective NHL player, I expect the Canucks will see it as being a much better idea for him to spend top 6 minutes in Utica as opposed to having too many nights off in Vancouver.

• Upvote 1