The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Nikolay Goldobin | LW/RW

Scorevat

19 minutes ago, J.R. said:

This line of thinking is horse @#$%.

Ask Crosby how playing solid 2 way hockey retards his offensive potential.

You want to score? You need the puck to do so. If the other team has it, you need to work HARD and go get it back. It's really as simple as that.

Kind of a poor argument bud

Most gifted player in a generation,  breaks the 10% +/- threshold once in his first 4 seasons.

We're not talking about Crosby, we're talking about Goldobin.  A poor mans Kovalev.

You want to score you have to generate scoring chances.  You want to know a sad fact about that, some players just will not be taught 2 way play.  it took Ovechkin almost 5 solid seasons before he learned about that; instead allowing his spectacular offensive play and his solid line mates to ensure his mistakes were stifled.  Even then his best statistical year defensively was the 1 year in which his 2 way play was most criticized

But Goldobin isn't even a shadow of these two players so it's a silly argument to try to make.  And in no way shape or form did I say playing with "2 way players" retards potential.  It would allow for him to utilize and maximize his potential.  So maybe there's a misunderstanding  here but the point of my statement is that Goldobin is quite possibly one of those gifted players that will just not accept being told to play a 2 way game.  That Goldobin might be better off if let to play a 1 way game while paired with 2 players who can play a solid 2 way transition game instead.

2 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

Kind of a poor argument bud

Most gifted player in a generation,  breaks the 10% +/- threshold once in his first 4 seasons.

We're not talking about Crosby, we're talking about Goldobin.  A poor mans Kovalev.

You want to score you have to generate scoring chances.  You want to know a sad fact about that, some players just will not be taught 2 way play.  it took Ovechkin almost 5 solid seasons before he learned about that; instead allowing his spectacular offensive play and his solid line mates to ensure his mistakes were stifled.  Even then his best statistical year defensively was the 1 year in which his 2 way play was most criticized

But Goldobin isn't even a shadow of these two players so it's a silly argument to try to make.  And in no way shape or form did I say playing with "2 way players" retards potential.  It would allow for him to utilize and maximize his potential.  So maybe there's a misunderstanding  here but the point of my statement is that Goldobin is quite possibly one of those gifted players that will just not accept being told to play a 2 way game.  That Goldobin might be better off if let to play a 1 way game while paired with 2 players who can play a solid 2 way transition game instead.

I really don't think it is. 

Nobody's comparing him to Crosby (or Kovalev or Ovechkin) but if he's not going to be talented enough to outscore his defensive problems (Ovechkin) he's going to have to learn some basic 2 way play and up his ability to battle for pucks/regain possession in today's NHL.

Nobody's saying he needs to get to the point he's stealing PK minutes from Sutter, but he does need to contribute to his line's ability to maintain and regain puck possession.

Right now, he's frankly pretty brutal at that part of the game. He needs to become at least serviceable.

Just now, J.R. said:

I really don't think it is. 

Nobody's comparing him to Crosby (or Kovalev or Ovechkin) but if he's not going to be talented enough to outscore his defensive problems (Ovechkin) he's going to have to learn some basic 2 way play and up his ability to battle for pucks/regain possession in today's NHL.

Nobody's saying he needs to get to the point he's stealing PK minutes from Sutter, but he does need to contribute to his line's ability to maintain and regain puck possession.

Right now, he's frankly pretty brutal at that part of the game. He needs to become at least serviceable.

And nobody is saying he won't learn.

But what people are missing is the simple fact that there ARE players who are offensively gifted who either cannot or will not learn that aspect of the game.

Goldobin could very well be one of them.

Just now, Warhippy said:

And nobody is saying he won't learn.

But what people are missing is the simple fact that there ARE players who are offensively gifted who either cannot or will not learn that aspect of the game.

Goldobin could very well be one of them.

And I'm saying to be one of those players you need to be FAR more prolific (Ovechkin) offensively. He's not going to make it far (or at all) in today's NHL if he doesn't learn to become at least serviceable on maintaining/regaining puck possession.

• Upvote 1

Just now, J.R. said:

And I'm saying to be one of those players you need to be FAR more prolific (Ovechkin) offensively. He's not going to make it far (or at all) in today's NHL if he doesn't learn to become at least serviceable on maintaining/regaining puck possession.

You know full well he's more Kovalev than Ovi.

There's the strong possibility that he was a free pick up and cast off or addition in a future trade for Hansen.  I think some people will need to come to terms with that possibility in time

1 hour ago, AV's Coin said:

According to Tryamkin Goldy should have made the team. What happened?

Who cares what Tryamkin thinks about who should make the team. he ain't GM. coming from a guy who bolted from the team. Jo's opinion don't hold a ton of water here. still. with that being said. would love to have the BFG back in Canuck colors. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, AV's Coin said:

According to Tryamkin Goldy should have made the team. What happened?

I actually posted about this in the Tram thread last night - I seem to recall there being a poorly translated article somewhere in the prospects forum regarding the big man and why he left the NHL. In there his point was that after Goldy scored in the LA game, he couldn't understand why he sat - the same reaction as a lot of folks on these boards. Tram thought that if Goldy can score, he should play. Unfortunately, that isn't exactly what North American hockey is all about. Obviously your comment wasn't serious, but I thought that different mindset was interesting. 

• Upvote 1

Barring any major injuries to the big club I think it would be ideal to let Goldobin overripen in Utica this season. He should be absolutely dominant offensively at that level. Next year he'll come in with super high confidence after 30+ plus goals in the A and hopefully improved attention to defense and should be able to step right into the top 3 lines.

• 2 weeks later...

Just looked at Utica's stats for the first time. This kid definitely isn't playing like he's down in the dumps from being sent down. Could be the first call up in case of injury, especially an injury to a top 9 forward.

• Upvote 1