The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[GDT] Vancouver Canucks at Los Angeles Kings | March 4th, 2017 | 7pm | Sportsnet | The Hockey Goes Hollywood Edition

Cramarossa

3 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Current goalies that are active that give you a better chance to win than Markstrom;

Luongo 
Lundquist
Fleury
Miller
Ward
Lehtonen
Rinne
Price
Quick
Anderson
Niemi 
Halak
Crawford
Rask 
Howard
Smith
Mason
Holtby
Elliot
Bobrovsky
Varlamov
Pavelec
Budaj
Bishop
Schneider 
Reimer
Anderson
Bernier
Neuvirth
Talbot

Jones
Griess 
Allen
Gustavsson
Johnson
Montoya
Mrazek 
Gibson
Lehner
Lack
Khudobin
Ranta 
C. Hutton
Kuemper
Condon
Darling
Hutchinson
Hellebucyk

murray
Vaselivski
Nilsson
Hammond
Korpisalo
Zatkoff
Dell
Saros 

Those 56 goalies have a higher career NHL win % than Markstrom. In fact here's the goalies that Markstrom is on par with or arguably better based on their ability to win games throughout their NHL careers;

Enroth
Mchelhinney
Leighton
Peters
Pickard 
Domingue 
Kinkaid
Tokarski

some may not know or may not face reality, but how long do you wait for "potential" until you give up? 30? 33? 35?

He's 27 right now.. a year out of his prime , we've seen the high end of what he can do. He's been given sheltered starts when Miller has been healthy.  

I gave up on him about a month ago after I looked at the numbers and realized there's 30 better options as starter and about 25 better options at backup. He is the best option as a backup  goalie on about 4!teams in the NHL. 4!!!!

Yet some here think he's a top NHL starter???

I think it was pretty obvious this year that Markstrom was never going to be our "goalie of the future". This was his year and they went with Miller because when it came down to it, he made the big saves to get us points and Marky didn't.

At 27 years old I think it's safe to say we've seen the ceiling, and at best, he's an average backup.

A big reason why Miller never got moved, IMO

Goldy seems to have a sniper touch, something we got out of Vrbatta that one year.

7 hours ago, Alflives said:

Do we know Goldobin is playing with Bo and Baer?  

Come on, we know the answer to that with Willie behind the bench.

3 hours ago, darkpoet said:

I think it was pretty obvious this year that Markstrom was never going to be our "goalie of the future". This was his year and they went with Miller because when it came down to it, he made the big saves to get us points and Marky didn't.

At 27 years old I think it's safe to say we've seen the ceiling, and at best, he's an average backup.

A big reason why Miller never got moved, IMO

Good to see someone with a brain in their head around here :). There's still many around here that will argue till they're blue that Markstrom is/will be an elite starter or  should be the starte. 

13 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Good to see someone with a brain in their head around here :). There's still many around here that will argue till they're blue that Markstrom is/will be an elite starter or  should be the starte. 

Don't waste time arguing about goaltending. It's the least of our issues. We have won more games than lost due to goaltending 

look no further that the fool behind our bench if you want to look for improvement areas 

44 minutes ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

in what world is winning % an accurate way to evaluate goaltending? you know hockey is a team sport right?

markstrom's numbers:

gp 107  w 36  l 53  otl 12

his team's collected 39.3% of available points when he gets a decision. not very good, surely

roberto luongo, before he was a canuck, was already one of the very best goalies in the world. his pre-vancouver numbers:

gp 342  w 115  l 168  t/otl 42

39.8% of available points. 

if I omit luongo's last year in florida before getting traded those numbers get way uglier, dropping down to 36.1%.

what do these 2 guys have in common? they played exclusively for awful teams.

now markstrom may or may not have what it takes to be a decent number one, but from what we've seen, he plays better with more workload and he's never had an extended starting run in his career. 

whatever happens with markstrom, the only thing we know for sure right now is that trying to evaluate goaltenders using winning percentage is absolutely moronic. 

furthermore, I'll never understand canucks "fans". why do so many of you prefer to run around telling anyone that'll listen how badly each canucks player or prospect sucks, rather than supporting the team and hoping that those players will improve? you actually are rooting against these players and prospects, and by extension the team, because for you it's more important that you look like you were right than it is for the team to have success. it's embarrassing.

1 minute ago, I.Am.Ironman said:

Markstrom has also played on some terrible Panthers teams. Now he plays  behind a terrible Canucks team which doesn't do his Win % any favours.

A little part of me still has faith he can live up to his hype. He's been outright dominant when playing for good teams.

See utica comets Calder cup finals year

42 minutes ago, Gooseberries said:

A little part of me still has faith he can live up to his hype. He's been outright dominant when playing for good teams.

See utica comets Calder cup finals year

Guys who have been starters at all levels need to play to be at their best, it's completely unfair to judge Markstrom when he gets into less than 1/3 Of the games.  Maybe he has what it takes, maybe he doesn't but they need to find out, which means wd needs to play him.

It would be great if the Sedins and LE show up on the score board and be "+" players in this game and the next.

It's almost like fans have accepted the fact that they are old, slow and have not much to give.

2 minutes ago, stawns said:

Guys who have been starters at all levels need to play to be at their best, it's completely unfair to judge Markstrom when he gets into less than 1/3 Of the games.  Maybe he has what it takes, maybe he doesn't but they need to find out, which means wd needs to play him.

That's true for all our developing players: WD needs to play them.  It's more than just playing them though.  WD needs to play them meaningful minutes, and allow them to make mistakes.  He needs to allow the younger players to play free of reprimand.  

9 minutes ago, Alflives said:

That's true for all our developing players: WD needs to play them.  It's more than just playing them though.  WD needs to play them meaningful minutes, and allow them to make mistakes.  He needs to allow the younger players to play free of reprimand.  

Exactly. Should have been doing this pretty much all year.

Not free of reprimand though. He just needs to make it so the Sedins/Edler/etc don't play free of reprimand because that's a big reason this team has sucked when it mattered for a long time.

Just now, wallstreetamigo said:

Exactly. Should have been doing this pretty much all year

Totally agree.  Hopefully the rest of this season, and going forward is about developing our next core, and not about watching the aging players (Twins, Miller, Eriksson, and Edler) eating up the best minutes.  

Archived