The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

If we got nolan patrick would the canucks be saved?

teepain

2 minutes ago, S'all Good Man said:

I agree with this, but I don't know if any team is willing to trade us a #2 oa... every team that is likely to get it needs it too. Unless Colorado is willing to do something like their pick straight up for Tanev I don't see any other trade that Jim could manufacture. 

Tanev is not in the age group they are targeting.  They want guys who will grow with their new core of Jost, Rantanen and MacKinnon.   Everyone else is available including Barrie, Johnson.  

44 minutes ago, Fanaholic said:

A better question is why didn't the CANUCKS start this nightmare 2 years ago?   BLAME OWNERSHIP

2 years ago the owner, president, GM, coach and 95% of fans thought this was still a good team and could be rebuilt on the fly.  Hell, half the fans STILL think this is a good team that can or is being rebuilt on the fly. 

4 hours ago, Standing_Tall#37 said:

Patrick won't save us, he's got a ton of health problems and will most likely be a bust by 25. 

Crosby saved Pittsburgh. Because of him there started being asses in the seats again in steel town. Performance wise, it took malkin, letang, Fleury +

The health troubles are an issue to be seriously looked at. He seems to be fine since his return this year. That does not mean he will be able to deal with the rigors of the nhl.

11 minutes ago, canucklehead80 said:

Horvat was being pegged as a 3C early on by a lot of people. Looks like that projection was just a little wrong. I'd take a high end 2C projection at this point. Would give us more weapons down the middle. They're all predictions and guesses at this point. 

I don't remember anyone projecting him as a 3rd liner.  He was taken 8th overall.  He was projected to be great defensively, that was wrong.  He's actually a good offensive player instead. 

13 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

2 years ago the owner, president, GM, coach and 95% of fans thought this was still a good team and could be rebuilt on the fly.  Hell, half the fans STILL think this is a good team that can or is being rebuilt on the fly. 

THE PROBLEM is the building is full of people who are not even FANS.   REAL FANS get it.   I could not have said it better than you and if I could give you 10 likes I would!

4 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I would push that 2 year figure back at least a year, probably 2. Torts call it for what it was and his message was not well received by most fans and obviously not by management. It did not change the reality that following that season Linden-Benning-Desjardin arrived.

I can appreciate the idea of rebuilding through a vet structure. When I was calling for a rebuild in 2012 it was with the idea that selected vets would be moved out for a desired rebuild of the prospect pool. Most on here did not accept the idea as CUP contention was still high.

'Rebuild on the fly' is how the Canucks will evolve going forward. Canucks can not expect that top 3 pick that will be a generational talent, like a McDavid, that will led the franchise. Success falls more and more on Benning's ability to assess talent, acquire that talent and develop that talent. Last night against the Oilers we can all appreciate the challenge that a McDavid will present for years to come. To me the full story is the size and speed of that roster. The Canucks are no where near big enough or fast enough up front. The Western Conference, because of travel, requires bigger and more durable players.

Rebuild on the fly is progressing well IMHO. Benning is looking for size to compliment the smaller forwards. I expect more of the same next year.  A similar finish as the Twins wind down and the young players gain experience.

15 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

I don't remember anyone projecting him as a 3rd liner.  He was taken 8th overall.  He was projected to be great defensively, that was wrong.  He's actually a good offensive player instead. 

I remember it being thrown around. Always wondered why myself. Maybe just all the Eastern 'Nuck haters, lol.

LOL...this is the Canucks we are talking about, and little Bettman's golden franchise Las Vegas is going to be in the draft lottery - we aint winning nothing.

Ill be over joyed if we get a top 5 pick.

Yeah I think adding one of Hischier/Patrick could definitely make this team alot better going forward.

As bad as we are right now, we've been missing key players most of the year & there are still young players coming that could really help. The team is probably in a bit better state than it felt like watching the game last night, especially if we can get one of those top 2 picks.

Put me in the "yes" camp. We might not be saved overnight but it would set us up to be in a much better situation than we are now. 

27 minutes ago, CanadianRugby said:

Horvat was projected late 1st round 10th to 14th and higher by most, Craig Button had him at 19th overall

http://www.mynhldraft.com/2013-nhl-draft-prospect-rankings

He was chosen 9th overall by us

Let's just put it in perspective...

The best we could ever hope for with a 1st overall pick - is the equivalent of a Sedin.  Most of the time you'll get a player who's worse, and occasionally you'll get a player who's better.  But, you hope for another Sedin.

Would the addition of one Sedin improve our team very much right now?  Nope.  Not in the slightest.  We'd still be one of the worst teams in the league.  We'd still have an AHL quality team (thanks Jim!).

Oh yeah, and we are about to lose TWO Sedins over the next couple of seasons as it is!  And, we almost surely aren't going to get anything of value for them.

So, if one new Sedin wouldn't help us, and we are about to lose 2 more, that means we need at least 3 new Sedins.  But, as we mentioned earlier, that doesn't even help us.  That just gets us the equivalent of adding one right now.  We need like 4 or 5 Nolan Patricks, not 1...

41 minutes ago, mll said:

Tanev is not in the age group they are targeting.  They want guys who will grow with their new core of Jost, Rantanen and MacKinnon.   Everyone else is available including Barrie, Johnson.  

Sure, but Tanev gives them solid D for years and a chance to develop the back end, he'd be a great fit for that and as a mentor, and if they are thinking 2-3 years instead of 5-6 for a "window" then he fits that timeline as well (realistic or not). 

Personally I think the best fit by far for Tanev is.. ugh... Toronto. But they'll never cough up his actual value in a trade. 

Do you think that things are really so bad that we need to be "saved"?

It's not like we are in danger of folding, relocating, or falling into a Oileresque 10 year playoff drought.  Our 1st round pick will certainly help us this year, but we are far from being in need of being saved.

7 minutes ago, westcoast said:

Might be a year to grab a defenseman and save the first line centre pick for next draft when we could be at the bottom.If the centre we draft is second tier this year then what? If next year we get a true number one where does this years pick play.

No, we pick the best player available. Drafting for need is part of the reason we're in this position. 

Archived