The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks Sign NCAA FA Griffen Molino

Derp...

5 hours ago, theminister said:

Maybe next game.

He is joining the team, not going to Utica. 

Murph noted on the broadcast when they panned to Molino sitting in the press box next to Smyl that the two-year deal is in effect this year and Molino could get in the lineup as early as Friday. So not help for Utica, although we could send someone else down who's more familiar with the Comets and could help right away. Goldobin doesn't know the team but would add a lot, Gaunce when healthy again would be a big add. They'd even enjoy LaBate back.

I guess we'll see how it pans out.

2 minutes ago, Oregon.Duck said:

This has probably been discussed ad nauseam- playing less than 9 games for NCAA xfers doesn't effect a year of their ELC, right? Would be the case for Boeser too. 

It does.  Both will burn a year.  I believe the 9 game thing only applies to under 20 players.

11 hours ago, elvis15 said:

Murph noted on the broadcast when they panned to Molino sitting in the press box next to Smyl that the two-year deal is in effect this year and Molino could get in the lineup as early as Friday. So not help for Utica, although we could send someone else down who's more familiar with the Comets and could help right away. Goldobin doesn't know the team but would add a lot, Gaunce when healthy again would be a big add. They'd even enjoy LaBate back.

I guess we'll see how it pans out.

Backman will be with the Canucks until the seaon ends now that Markstrom has been shut down.

LaBate, Goldobin and Gaunce (when healthy) should all go to Utica now! Getting Utica into the Calder playoffs should be the #1 priority for the org at this time.

17 hours ago, selkirkcraig said:

I've been following Biech for a few years now and I'm almost positive he said a few years ago that Gaudette was awful.

I did not

Others have, but wasn't me - I've said that "I can understand why he was attractive as a draft pick despite his low production", then he exploded.

Thanks for following :)

18 hours ago, playboi19 said:

He's for Utica.

17 hours ago, R3aL said:

Hes gonna go to Utica HOT n READY!

Gotta love it

Next year maybe, not this year. He will report directly to the Canucks, burning a year of his ELC, and then perhaps (depending on performance) report to Utica after Training Camp next season (as he is ineligible to play in Utica until next season). 

12 hours ago, -Vintage Canuck- said:

Reading the comments on that tweet highlights two things:

1. People apparently don't understand that teams are only allowed to make 4 AHL callups between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season

2. People also don't understand how AHL eligibility works in terms of players who sign NHL contracts after the trade deadline

Feels like much of the complaining that happens would die down a bit if certain people actually took the time to read the damn rules.

8 minutes ago, Brad Marchand said:

1. People apparently don't understand that teams are only allowed to make 4 AHL callups between the trade deadline and the end of the regular season

2. People also don't understand how AHL eligibility works in terms of players who sign NHL contracts after the trade deadline

Feels like much of the complaining that happens would die down a bit if certain people actually took the time to read the damn rules.

A lot of the anger comes from confusion - no matter how times it's explained.

4 minutes ago, theminister said:

It will be interesting to see how the reaction to the signing might change if he steps into the line-up and becomes one of the fastest players on the team immediately. 

He can burn - that's for sure

1 hour ago, Brad Marchand said:

Juolevi should be in Utica lolz

10 hours ago, Wilbur said:

It does.  Both will burn a year.  I believe the 9 game thing only applies to under 20 players.

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-f-keller-to-debut-vs-blues-1.707310

unrelated player, but in the article on Clayton Keller, it states, at the bottom, that

"Keller can spend the remaining seven games of the Coyotes season with the team without burning a year off of his ELC."

Under the context that he was going to debut.

TSN be confusing me. 

Just now, Oregon.Duck said:

http://www.tsn.ca/coyotes-f-keller-to-debut-vs-blues-1.707310

unrelated player, but in the article on Clayton Keller, it states, at the bottom, that

"Keller can spend the remaining seven games of the Coyotes season with the team without burning a year off of his ELC."

Under the context that he was going to debut.

TSN be confusing me. 

Keller is 19 years old - as per section 9.2 of the CBA - so in order to burn the first year of his ELC, he has to play in 9 games.

Because Molino is 23 - he is not eligible for the ELC slide, which is only available to 18 year olds and 19 year olds.

It's the same reason why Boeser is burning a year - because he is 20 years old

Archived