The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

2 hours ago, 73 Percent said:

Remember when we were a good nhl team but the coilers would destroy us in the YST. Not anymore baby lol.

I would rather have the better nhl team haha. 

Hopefully we will be back in contention soon. 

6 hours ago, kenhodgejr said:

Chances of us having another bad season are pretty good so we may end up with one of the top picks in next years draft

1. Rasmus Dahlin - puck moving right defenceman. Off the charts skating and hockey IQ. Exactly what we need

2. Andrei Svechnikov - 1st line RW. Size, passing, clean shot, compete, skating

3. Brady Tkachuk - top 6 C/ LW. Size, grit, agitator, skill, compete, 

Adding a guy like Brady Tkachuk to our top line would give us that playoff edge we need 

Tkachuk Horvat Boesser 

Dahlen Pettersson Gadjovich

Granlund Lind Virtanen

MacEwan Gaudette Lockwood

I think a big body like Gadjovich along side the two Sweeds would be a plus. Their excellent skating would compensate for his slow skating plus he can plunk himself in front of the net. 

Captain Bo will lead this team on the first line and rightly so

A third line of Granlund Lund and Virtanen has a nice mix of speed, size, skill, playmaking, forechecking, and shooting

4th line of big Zach MacEwan, Adam Gaudette, and Will Lockwood provides us with size, fighting, skill, speed, forechecking, and playmaking, 

Add in more late round Defence picks and I am really starting to like the way this team is shaping up!!

I appreciate your optimism and I like those lineups, if ev pans out, and reaches their full potential.  But we ain't going anywhere with the defence we have right now. I'd feel much better having Dahlin on the back end instead of another forward, but we'd have to get super lucky in order for that to happen 

11 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

I appreciate your optimism and I like those lineups, if ev pans out, and reaches their full potential.  But we ain't going anywhere with the defence we have right now. I'd feel much better having Dahlin on the back end instead of another forward, but we'd have to get super lucky in order for that to happen 

Hutton Guddy

Juolevi Stetch

Brisebois McEneny

I also think Tryamkin will be back in a year, maybe two.  That's a good dcorp, but you're right that they could use another elite dman on their dcorp.

27 minutes ago, Kungfudru said:

Middle of a rebuild. 

Not sure why so many can't seem to grasp that.

Last year people were complaining we didn't have enough offensive forward prospects too. 

• Upvote 4

5 minutes ago, J.R. said:

Middle of a rebuild. 

Not sure why so many can't seem to grasp that.

Last year people were complaining we didn't have enough offensive forward prospects too. 

The acquisitions of Goldobin/Dahlen/Lind/Pettersson/Gadjovich definitely have put many of those worries to rest.

If we're in a position to draft a defenseman we want next year then that should be the priority. If not another forward drafted high in the first round wouldn't hurt. I am talking Horvat+ level.

We will see though. We could end up lucking out and having one of our fwd prospects we don't expect to be an impact player to turn into something special.

It ultimately depends on the circumstances we face this time next year and how our prospects develop.

• Upvote 1

5 hours ago, BI3KSALLENT said:

That's what I was hoping for 1 year in the SHL, followed by 1 with Utica, and then hopefully he could make the team out of training camp the next year or split the year with us and Utica.

I could see him being brought in after a year in shl as with dahlen. Would expect sedins to be re-signed for 1 year deals as a mentorship year to bring these kids along. SHL or AHL either way its pro with men. 

If not maybe just Dahlen to ride shotgun with the twins for a year as 3rd liners.

6 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

The acquisitions of Goldobin/Dahlen/Lind/Pettersson/Gadjovich definitely have put many of those worries to rest.

If we're in a position to draft a defenseman we want next year then that should be the priority. If not another forward drafted high in the first round wouldn't hurt. I am talking Horvat+ level.

We will see though. We could end up lucking out and having one of our fwd prospects we don't expect to be an impact player to turn into something special.

It ultimately depends on the circumstances we face this time next year and how our prospects develop.

I really hope we somehow manage to win the lottery and pick Dahlin and then trade Tanev to a desperate trade deadline team for a top 10 first to pick a top-end winger or another D. This of course assumes Tanev stays healthy and continues his stellar play, but if Benning manages to swing this his silver pedestal I have him on will turn permanently platinum. 2018 has a ton of top tier talent in it and I hope we try to get another first. Rebuild is basically complete at that point and the players just need time. We'd have a 1A, 1B, 2nd and 3rd line in terms of talent/scoring. This lineup of course assumes no trades are made, no free agents signed and no players surprise so it likely won't look like this, but man I get excited thinking about our team looking something like this in only a few years.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen

Baertschi/top 6 LW-Horvat-Boeser

Goldobin-Granlund-Gadjovich

Palmu-Gaudette-Lockwood

Juolevi-Top 2 D

Hutton-Gudbranson

Brisebois-Stecher

Holm

Demko

Markstrom/DiPietro

8 hours ago, stawns said:

Hutton Guddy

Juolevi Stetch

Brisebois McEneny

I also think Tryamkin will be back in a year, maybe two.  That's a good dcorp, but you're right that they could use another elite dman on their dcorp.

Absolutely the top need for the draft next year. Still not completely sold on our future top centres but we at least have something to work with. 

1 hour ago, Mattrek said:

I really hope we somehow manage to win the lottery and pick Dahlin and then trade Tanev to a desperate trade deadline team for a top 10 first to pick a top-end winger or another D. This of course assumes Tanev stays healthy and continues his stellar play, but if Benning manages to swing this his silver pedestal I have him on will turn permanently platinum. 2018 has a ton of top tier talent in it and I hope we try to get another first. Rebuild is basically complete at that point and the players just need time. We'd have a 1A, 1B, 2nd and 3rd line in terms of talent/scoring. This lineup of course assumes no trades are made, no free agents signed and no players surprise so it likely won't look like this, but man I get excited thinking about our team looking something like this in only a few years.

Dahlen-Pettersson-Virtanen

Baertschi/top 6 LW-Horvat-Boeser

Goldobin-Granlund-Gadjovich

Palmu-Gaudette-Lockwood

Juolevi-Top 2 D

Hutton-Gudbranson

Brisebois-Stecher

Holm

Demko

Markstrom/DiPietro

Throw in a Trymakin with an aterix and I like the potential in hat lineup. Gaunce should improve and we could roll four lines and bury teams in 7 game series. 

Are we really already arguing who we should pick next year???  Yes Dahlin is the consensus #1 right now....but so was Nolan Patrick last year, while Hischier started the year outside the top 15.   Liljegren was labelled as 2nd pick who could challenge Patrick and ended up being picked 17th.

Before we argue who should we pick, can we wait and see if Dahlin is still number? can we wait if another elite player emerges? can we wait to see where we finish?, can we wait to see if we win the lottery?

A little early for...we should do that...or we should do this....what we should do is wait and see.  People arguing we are stacked up front and must focus on D, what if Boeser has a crappy year, are we still deep up front?  What if another players emerges from nowhere at forward or at D, this will change everything. 

Just think it's a little early to be planning out next year's draft strategy.

• Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, timberz21 said:

Are we really already arguing who we should pick next year???  Yes Dahlin is the consensus #1 right now....but so was Nolan Patrick last year, while Hischier started the year outside the top 15.   Liljegren was labelled as 2nd pick who could challenge Patrick and ended up being picked 17th.

Before we argue who should we pick, can we wait and see if Dahlin is still number? can we wait if another elite player emerges? can we wait to see where we finish?, can we wait to see if we win the lottery?

A little early for...we should do that...or we should do this....what we should do is wait and see.  People arguing we are stacked up front and must focus on D, what if Boeser has a crappy year, are we still deep up front?  What if another players emerges from nowhere at forward or at D, this will change everything. 

Just think it's a little early to be planning out next year's draft strategy.

You on CDC boy, you in da wrong place for patience......^_^.

• Upvote 1

As for the Pettersson selection, I'm excited, the kids seems to have potential and I fully trust Benning's judgement on picking him over other available center.

My only worry is I'm hoping his selection is not Benning trying to correct a past mistake with another mistake. 

In 2014, when he selected Virtanen he went with the red hot scoring winger, local boy, with speed and grit, over the more talented, smaller euros (Nylander, Ehlers), which at the time I supported too, as I thought even though Virtanen might not get as many points as these guy, he would still score a lot of goals and would have a bigger impact on the team, especially in the playoffs.  Still time for virtanen to turn it around, but doesn't look good.

Now this year, we went in the opposite direction, we selected the more skilled player, even though he's taller than Nylander or Ehlers but really thin frame, passing on the local boy Glass and big gritty scoring center Vilardi.

Like I said I fully trust Benning, I'm excited with the pick, and hopefully he will reach his potential.

Edited by timberz21