The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Elias Pettersson | #40 | C

-Vintage Canuck-

50 minutes ago, Eastcoast meets Westcoast said:

Oh &^@# I hope not. The asylum here is enough to drive and player away.  

Dahlen   "Oh there is a message board I wonder what fans think of my friend they just drafted."

*proceeds to read this thread*

Next thing you he goes on record to tells fans to be patient on Pettersson.

I joke obviously, but have you ever wondered if NHL players have ever went on boards like this.

• Upvote 2

Petterson would put up some pretty good numbers if he played in the CHL imo. His hands and play making ability remind me a bit of Drouin and Marner. I think he makes the team in 2 years. Quite a few players playing in the NHL right now between 155-180 pounds. 

In the Pettersson vs Glass thread we talked a bit about league adjusted scoring. Based on the data we have now Pettersson's scoring in Timra this year is about twice as hard as the CHL, that means he would have scored roughly 1.91 points per game in the CHL. Given his age and situational points that number is brought down to 1.73 points per game using SEAL adjusted scoring. You can see the SEAL adj. scoring for this draft class from Nucks Army guys here:

If we look at all u19 players who scored with about 20% of 1.91 points per game in the OHL for instance (draft year or draft +1) we get a few nice names out of there:

Tavares

Marner

Spezza

Bennett
Dylan Strome

Taylor Raddysh

Matthew Tkachuk

Taylor Hall

Alex Galchenyuk

Travis Konecny

Connor McDavid

Cody Hodgson

Stamkos

Seguin
Ryan Strome

Nail Yakupov

Wellwood
Ho-Sang
Perry

Little

Fabbri

Debrincat

Dal Colle

Christian Dvorak

Bobby Ryan

Toffoli
Adam Mascherin

It's not a perfect list of all stars, but there are some great players there.

19 minutes ago, Erik Karlsson said:

Petterson would put up some pretty good numbers if he played in the CHL imo. His hands and playmaking ability remind me a bit of Drouin and Marner. I think he makes the team in 2 years. Quite a few players playing in the NHL right now between 155-180 pounds. 

6 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Maybe it's just the defenders in some of the highlights then that needs quite a bit of work? Some of them are neither physical nor fast and there are times when he's completely left open or the positioning's quite poor. Reminds me of Makar's competition.

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

Larger ice surface can make it seem that way.   I have watched this league live many times and it is good hockey - top CHL team would perhaps make playoffs but most likely not.   The scoring is not very high and the pace is frenetic - not much trapping or other defensive zone strategies but for some reason, even when shot totals are high, scores are not that high.

I don't follow the Allsvenskan, but as the second tier pro league in Sweden I'm almost certain it's on a much higher tier compared to the CHL, let alone Makar's competition. I'd say the competition is perhaps closest to NCAA hockey, even though I think the NCAA is slightly better. 

If Pettersson played on an CHL team this year (16-17), I honestly think he'd score around 100 points if he played every game.

Edited by Grape

17 hours ago, The 5th Line said:

Player comparison: Ryan Johansen?  That's a little strange seeing as how Johansen is about 50 pounds heavier 

I think Button was convinced that we were taking Glass instead and still used the comparison video for Petterson..

Yeah, I don't really get that comparison. 

I think a better comparison would be Claude Giroux. 

3 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I joke obviously, but have you ever wondered if NHL players have ever went on boards like this.

If they do I hope it's on their birthdays to see the birthday wishes and not to see most of the other things posted :P 

With technology being what it is I have to imagine they see some of it. I would definitely be curious enough to come here if I were in the NHL. Maybe most leave their curiosities at Twitter. Lol.

• Upvote 1

22 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Using @Derp...'s SEAL adjusted point totals, it actually works out to somewhere around 120 points ::D 

Thanks, but It's not mine. If you want to know about it more, this is the guy who modified the origional to where it is now: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/23/the-big-seal-reveal-adjusted-scoring-for-first-time-eligible-prospects/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Also at 1.73 points per game over 69 games (same as cody Glass) it would be 119 points

44% of his points were goals in the Allsvenskan so that would be 52 goals and 67 assists... Jeepers

Even if Seal adjusted scoring is off by 20% that's still a 96 point CHL season for Pettersson.

Edited by Derp...

1 minute ago, Derp... said:

Thanks, but It's not mine. If you want to know about it more, this is the guy who modified the origional to where it is now: https://canucksarmy.com/2017/06/23/the-big-seal-reveal-adjusted-scoring-for-first-time-eligible-prospects/?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Nah, I know it isn't "yours", but you brought it into the thread, hence the shoutout ::D

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Grape said:

I don't follow the Allsvenskan, but as the second tier pro league in Sweden I'm almost certain it's on a much higher tier compared to the CHL, let alone Makar's competition. I'd say the competition is perhaps closest to NCAA hockey, even though I think the NCAA is slightly better. 

If Pettersson played on an CHL team this year (16-17), I honestly think he'd score around 100 points if he played every game.

I've only seen Elias in 2 places:

• his full games on WeatherWise's highlights where he was playing against international competition
  • highlights on YouTubes such as the ones posted here

There's no doubting his skill and motor so I like that we picked him, but he wasn't dominant in international competition (he was pushed around) - but mind you, he was playing wing. And on the highlights, as I mentioned, the D doesn't look good. So it's hard for me to get a bead on whether he will actually be dominant right now against good competition.

48 minutes ago, Rick Blight said:

You forgot Bieksa....

Good one!  Ya, love Bieksa.  That was such a great support group for the Twins.  I'm really hoping this next group of young guys will be like that too.  I think Pettersson has elite potential.  Now we need one more of those elite guys.  

11 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

Those are great highlights, but the competition seems quite weak. Is that really a good league?

These Highlights are also from a year previous (2015- when he was playing in both the superelit (under 20) and Allsvenskan.

So im sure half the highlights are of him playing against kids. 

This is from last season. ITS LIT!!!

Edited by SpennyCanuck
  • Upvote 1

10 hours ago, dura_mater said:

Do you have a source for this because I've heard the exact opposite.

9 hours ago, BananaMash said:

one of the dinguses on the sportsnet panel said it after we picked him lol

I admit I reacted rather quickly and a bit emotionally after 40+ years of being a Canucks fan.  My initial reaction to Pettersen was based on my desire for a tough and determined Canucks team moving forward.  If Dahlen and Pettersen are the Canuck's top line it does cause me some concern.  It's dejavu all over again. 

The playoffs as we have seen are about physically and mentally grinding it out, even for the skill players.  It's why I love the NHL.  Time will tell. 

I hope my concerns are proven to be wrong.

9 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

I joke obviously, but have you ever wondered if NHL players have ever went on boards like this.

I remeber reports that Tate Olson used to read these forums, but I think for the most part they probably know better and avoid them.

It certainly would be funny if it came out that Dahlen said to be patient regarding him and Pettersson after reading these boards though.

3 hours ago, vinny_in_vancouver said:

I've only seen Elias in 2 places:

• his full games on WeatherWise's highlights where he was playing against international competition
  • highlights on YouTubes such as the ones posted here

There's no doubting his skill and motor so I like that we picked him, but he wasn't dominant in international competition (he was pushed around) - but mind you, he was playing wing. And on the highlights, as I mentioned, the D doesn't look good. So it's hard for me to get a bead on whether he will actually be dominant right now against good competition.

I mean depends what you define as good competition. If you don't think the Allvensken is good competition (I don't disagree), then you'd say the same about any CHL draftee. 

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Borvat said:

I admit I reacted rather quickly and a bit emotionally after 40+ years of being a Canucks fan.  My initial reaction to Pettersen was based on my desire for a tough and determined Canucks team moving forward.  If Dahlen and Pettersen are the Canuck's top line it does cause me some concern.  It's dejavu all over again. 

The playoffs as we have seen are about physically and mentally grinding it out, even for the skill players.  It's why I love the NHL.  Time will tell. 

I hope my concerns are proven to be wrong.

Even if Gadjovispch, Boeser or Jake are on the other side? With Horvat Granlund and one of the above on the next line.  

10 hours ago, Derp... said:

In the Pettersson vs Glass thread we talked a bit about league adjusted scoring. Based on the data we have now Pettersson's scoring in Timra this year is about twice as hard as the CHL, that means he would have scored roughly 1.91 points per game in the CHL. Given his age and situational points that number is brought down to 1.73 points per game using SEAL adjusted scoring. You can see the SEAL adj. scoring for this draft class from Nucks Army guys here:

If we look at all u19 players who scored with about 20% of 1.91 points per game in the OHL for instance (draft year or draft +1) we get a few nice names out of there:

Tavares

Marner

Spezza

Bennett
Dylan Strome

Taylor Raddysh

Matthew Tkachuk

Taylor Hall

Alex Galchenyuk

Travis Konecny

Connor McDavid

Cody Hodgson

Stamkos

Seguin
Ryan Strome

Nail Yakupov

Wellwood
Ho-Sang
Perry

Little

Fabbri

Debrincat

Dal Colle

Christian Dvorak

Bobby Ryan

Toffoli
Adam Mascherin

It's not a perfect list of all stars, but there are some great players there.

Just curious but it says on the SEAL chart he had 18g-21A-43gp, but he finished the season with 19g-22A-43gp on Elite so are the charts #'s wrong for him?

One thing that seems readily apparent is that Pettersson has a fantastic effect on his linemates. His GF% WOWY chart, shown below, is just about as ideal as one could imagine: every single player he played with had significantly better on-ice results with him than away from him – including Dahlen.

elias-pettersson-gf-wowy.png

• Upvote 2