The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Petrus Palmu | RW/LW

Tomato Pajamas

2 hours ago, alfstonker said:

That was not the point I was making though in that post. I wasn't referring to Kassian's "illegal" behaviour either. I was highlighting stupidity and not acting like a pro. That is my take on all 3 players.

If I have to spell it out:

A. I am disappointed that Palmu was stupid enough to ignore his first warning.

B. I was disappointed that Kassian seemed to ignore all the help he got and continued "partying" in a way unbefitting of a pro hockey player

C. Virtanen had a coach who backed him when a great many were against him even in his home town and repaid that faith by reporting to camp out of shape and out of condition. Worse still was how he tried to squirm out of taking responsibility for his form due to that lack of conditioning and implied it was in some way the coach's fault. That is a character flaw which he had better address.

There was no innuendo, only your take on what I said. Which was began with - 

"We are still at odds it seems with all the idiots on here who don't think he did much wrong in the first place." 

My point was in all 3 cases many on here have taken the side of the player and some even attacked the Club and their excuse amounted to virtually calling them "children" Sadly I think children would have behaved more responsibly.

I saw C entirely differently and don't equate it even remotely close to A and B.   I feel with C he was instructed best to play a physical game and he didn't try to be out of shape but he tried to put on too much weight.  I found no reference to his physical fitness condition being blamed on any coach - he felt that WD was utilizing him the wrong way, at no time did the fitness come into it and I followed that very closely.   He also went to Utica and by all accounts did EVERYTHING asked of him, even concentrating on largely defensive roles.   Palmu did an illegal activity and repeated.  Kassian drove under influence and likely more than once (once caught and with a minor under influence with him - not stellar).   Virtanen's "slip" if you like is so far different and his work since so dramatically different as well.  

I still feel you were insinuating something that was not remotely true and I still believe you are trying to do the same.   I agree with you on both Kassian and Palmu, not remotely so on Virtanen.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I saw C entirely differently and don't equate it even remotely close to A and B.   I feel with C he was instructed best to play a physical game and he didn't try to be out of shape but he tried to put on too much weight.  I found no reference to his physical fitness condition being blamed on any coach - he felt that WD was utilizing him the wrong way, at no time did the fitness come into it and I followed that very closely.   He also went to Utica and by all accounts did EVERYTHING asked of him, even concentrating on largely defensive roles.   Palmu did an illegal activity and repeated.  Kassian drove under influence and likely more than once (once caught and with a minor under influence with him - not stellar).   Virtanen's "slip" if you like is so far different and his work since so dramatically different as well.  

I still feel you were insinuating something that was not remotely true and I still believe you are trying to do the same.   I agree with you on both Kassian and Palmu, not remotely so on Virtanen.

Firstly, with respect I am not concerned as to whether you saw C differently or not. I was making a point, in essence, about character, illegality did not come into it.

Your logic doesn't stack up either. He put on too much weight and became unfit. No athlete needs to be told he is unfit, he knows instinctively only too well. He then compounded that by according to Tomlinson often being last on at practice and first off. Hank even referenced it when he said some young players needed to "try harder" in order to gain consistency.

An attitude to practice like that by a player who has just got a chance at the NHL is worrying to say the least. He has since come down from 231lbs to 215lbs. He actually said he felt he was getting knocked around at 209lbs. - did he really think beasting on 21lbs in one summer was going to help him?

If that wasn't bad enough he was mouthing off to the press/media saying he was unsure of who his his line mates would be and a whole lot of other bollocks. I believe he said the coaches wanted him to play a "heavier" game.

All this despite WD building his confidence and playing him consistently after he bombed in the WJC. In fact he had such a good finish to the season many on here couldn't wait to see what a summer of hard work would mean to his play the following season - little did they know that Jake obviously thought he had made it, with all the trimmings and came back looking like Michelin Man.

"Jake Virtanen: “I haven’t really been there. The lines have been changed every day (really?) so you’re not sure who you’re playing with. Being with Bo and Baertschi, we do have chemistry but when we’re switched around, it’s hard to get the line going. At the same time, I have to play my game. It’s just hard to keep it going. I have to earn it, but at the same time I have to go out there and be an every-shift kind of guy. I don’t feel dangerous yet, but if I get out there and play regular shifts, I can do that.”

"Willie Desjardins: “We’ve had the conversation numerous times. We’ve talked to him about where we need him to be and what we want from him. Last season at the end of the year, we said ‘Okay this is where we need you to be,’ but he wasn’t quite where we needed him when camp started. We talked again and expressed it.”

As usual that is Willie being too protective to his players when what he should have said was he came to camp looking like a whale and played like he was on crutches.

The point you seem oblivious to was he was using the fact that he said the coach was using him the wrong way to cover up the fact he was unable to perform in any way due to being overweight. That IS blaming the coach. 

We heard NONE of this when Willie played him regularly and for decent minutes (when he was in shape) after the WJC until the end of the season, did we?

Let's face it he was still out of shape when he got to Utica and Green played him just as sparingly and on the 4th line. His performances were poor for at least half the season. This situation had nothing to do with his utilisation or the coach and everything to do with the players entitlement and failure to conform to pro hockey fitness standards. 

• Upvote 1

On 8/18/2017 at 8:52 AM, komodo0921 said:

I ran over a squirrel on the way to work. Is that vehicular squirrelslaughter?

Should I turn myself in? Or should I go on the lamb. 

Ahh crap, if I go on a lamb, it's animal cruelty.

What do I do?

I'm so confused.

Squirrel kabobs!

And, just remember, Mary had a little lamb.

What can we derive from this statement? 

"Had" denotes past tense. Therefore, we can assume that the lamb was delicious! 

::D

Sorry, but of a detour on this thread, but not the worst! 

• Upvote 2

17 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Squirrel kabobs!

And, just remember, Mary had a little lamb.

What can we derive from this statement? 

"Had" denotes past tense. Therefore, we can assume that the lamb was delicious! 

::D

Sorry, but of a detour on this thread, but not the worst! 

It's such a sad thing to be discussing with this kind of scrutiny. Kid made a mistake. Leave it at that and move on. It deserves to be made fun of.

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

It's such a sad thing to be discussing with this kind of scrutiny. Kid made a mistake. Leave it at that and move on. It deserves to be made fun of.

Exactly, plus 1.

Hands up, anyone who's never done something stupid!

• Upvote 4

So our resident prospect bad boy (and the bogeyman that Finnish lake trout mothers warn their fry about ;)) is actually leading the Liiga in preseason scoring. This despite Palmu missing two games due to his knee injury:

Palmu is still leading all SM Liiga pre-season scoring with 5 points (1-4-5) despite missing the last two games.

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/24/champions-hockey-league-canucks-prospects-on-day-1/

• Upvote 3

On 8/16/2017 at 6:17 PM, Attila Umbrus said:

I kinda think of him as a fitness freak, gym guy. He doesn't scream farm boy to me...but who knows lol!? Where was your farm Alfie?

All my family is from the Dawson Creek area, I basically grew up on my uncles farm. He has 1100 acres of freedom on the Peace River. But then I have other aunt's and uncles, and grandparents that owned land around the area as well...always chores to be done! My wife's family owns a 20 acre orchard in Metchosin outside of Victoria (beautiful in the summer, I pick fruit each year out there and sell it at the stand). 

Really?  I grew up half and half in Vancouver and on a farm north of Dawson Creek (we would go back and forth each season - the short intense growing season makes that possible).  We farmed grain on 2 sections north of Rolla, the last two sections on the left (west side) before the road descends into the Peace River valley at Clayhurst (it was a ferry back in our day).  We had a great view out over the river valley.  Any of that ring a bell?

I agree that Palmu looks more like a gym guy than a farm guy but who knows?  I played rugby so I did my gym time as well, but pitching bales and general farm labour is excellent for fitness.  I'm in my 50's now but I still prefer gardening with hand tools instead of gas powered machines, it's actually a very good way to stay fit, and more enjoyable too, at least for me.

P.S. - Now that I've posted I may as well comment on Palmu's transgression.  I've been a supporter of him (check out my posts on "the mighty midget" on the prospect rankings series of threads) but I have to say that I lost a bit of respect for him with this.  I mean none of us are perfect and I've done stupid things myself aplenty but it was a big mistake (and apparently more than one).  It's not fatal, it can be recovered from but it does reveal poor judgement.

GCG!

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, nux_win said:

Really?  I grew up half and half in Vancouver and on a farm north of Dawson Creek (we would go back and forth each season - the short intense growing season makes that possible).  We farmed grain on 2 sections north of Rolla, the last two sections on the left (west side) before the road descends into the Peace River valley at Clayhurst (it was a ferry back in our day).  We had a great view out over the river valley.  Any of that ring a bell?

I agree that Palmu looks more like a gym guy than a farm guy but who knows?  I played rugby so I did my gym time as well, but pitching bales and general farm labour is excellent for fitness.  I'm in my 50's now but I still prefer gardening with hand tools instead of gas powered machines, it's actually a very good way to stay fit, and more enjoyable too, at least for me.

P.S. - Now that I've posted I may as well comment on Palmu's transgression.  I've been a supporter of him (check out my posts on "the mighty midget" on the prospect rankings series of threads) but I have to say that I lost a bit of respect for him with this.  I mean none of us are perfect and I've done stupid things myself aplenty but it was a big mistake (and apparently more than one).  It's not fatal, it can be recovered from but it does reveal poor judgement.

GCG!

Haha yup, the ol' clayhurst ferry. I remember it well. That was the only way across the peace river back in the day. My uncles land is in clayhurst and he married a Rolla girl, her family has land spread all over that area. Lovely area, the canola crops in full bloom is one of my most favourite sights and smells.

I'm the same, I like manual labour so I don't use too many power tools around my property. I rake leaves, shovel snow, Buck wood, etc all by hand. Good work out indeed. It's just good to get outside really.

Ya I'm in the same boat, I don't like what he did but I'm willing to chalk it up to immaturity. Hopefully he learns from this and moves on in a positive matter. 

• Upvote 1

19 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

So our resident prospect bad boy (and the bogeyman that Finnish lake trout mothers warn their fry about ;)) is actually leading the Liiga in preseason scoring. This despite Palmu missing two games due to his knee injury:

https://canucksarmy.com/2017/08/24/champions-hockey-league-canucks-prospects-on-day-1/

I had just found that article and was going to post - but of course you are already ahead on this one :lol:.  The kid just might be a hockey player.

23 hours ago, RogersTowell said:

I had just found that article and was going to post - but of course you are already ahead on this one :lol:.  The kid just might be a hockey player.

With a bad boy image. #leatherjacketandshades

• Upvote 1

• 2 weeks later...