The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Brendan Gaunce

4 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Scored one goal in his NHL career (77 games) and was a -11 over those games. One goal, minus player. Sorry, this doesn't get me excited.   

yea I do agree that that isn't all that great. however, I feel the reason so many of us like the signing is because he passes the eye test when you watch him you can tell he has a boatload of potential to be a key player on a stanley cup winning team (given he keeps getting better). If he does we will have an invaluable player in the next few years.

1 minute ago, lethal_spaghetti said:

yea I do agree that that isn't all that great. however, I feel the reason so many of us like the signing is because he passes the eye test when you watch him you can tell he has a boatload of potential to be a key player on a stanley cup winning team (given he keeps getting better). If he does we will have an invaluable player in the next few years.

I'll give Gaunce hockey smarts and size. He's still young too, so maybe he'll become an invaluable piece of the puzzle. I figure this is his year to prove it. Maybe he excels under Green? I want to believe, but I don't know.

14 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

Scored one goal in his NHL career (77 games) and was a -11 over those games. One goal, minus player. Sorry, this doesn't get me excited.   

On the worst team in the league playing with a revolving door of plugs.

Good to keep things in perspective. His offesnive game isn't as poor as the numbers show. Plus he's one of the few players on the team that actually hits.

6 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'll give Gaunce hockey smarts and size. He's still young too, so maybe he'll become an invaluable piece of the puzzle. I figure this is his year to prove it. Maybe he excels under Green? I want to believe, but I don't know.

He has had some success in the AHL just got to hope he pans out in the NHL and like you said he is still relatively young so the 2 years of this contract are going to be very important into realizing what he will turn out to be at the NHL level.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

meh, Utica, but he's cheap

Not a fan of Gaunce. Big dude who doesn't play very physical and can't score.

Im in the same boat not being a huge fan of Gaunce but a 2 year deal at this price is not too shabby. 2 more years to prove he has what it takes or we cut him loose. 

21 minutes ago, NUCKER67 said:

I'm not too sure you want to use +/- stats to try to make your point. Gaunce was a -2 last year and that would make him the best returning forward (+/- wise) on the Canucks. Hansen and Skille were better but will not be with the Canucks this year.

1 hour ago, NUCKER67 said:

meh, Utica, but he's cheap

Not a fan of Gaunce. Big dude who doesn't play very physical and can't score.

Doesn't play physical you say? The press release said Gaunce's 94 hits on the season led all Canucks forwards while his 1.65 hits per game ranked him second on the team. 

Can't score you say? It usually takes players a full year to acclimatize to the NHL level over the AHL. Gaunce has proved that he can score in the AHL (career-highs in goals (17), assists (21) and points (38) in 46 games with the Comets). Give him another year and the ice-time with Green to prove he can do it at the NHL level too.

One of the few young Canucks with size, we need him in our future and we need him to produce some offence. His physical and defensive games are brilliant but if he can pot 10 goals he'll be a very valuable bottom-6 forward.

As long as he's killing penalties and winning faceoffs he's valuable to this team.

Good for Gaunce, I was happy when he was drafter and am still happy to still have him on the team.

Gaunce is a very likable and determined young man. He will get better every year and I think he will surprise a lot of the naysayers this year. 

gaunce is smart, is a born leader, and carries himself with a certain serious, business-like, professional and competitive approach to the game. 

those are the reasons I firmly believe he will put it together and carve out meaningful role in this league. 

he takes up 1% of the team salary

not much of a risk to sign him

and see if he can develop any further over the next 2 years

if not, he can play in utica for 5 years for lesser money

not much of a risk for the canucks

if he does not remain with the main team, his contracdt does not count towards the nhl salary cap

2 hours ago, JamesB said:

If Gaunce could become as good as Malhotra that would of course be a  huge win. But Gaunce is a long way behind Manny. In his draft+5 year (the year he turned 23) Manny had 12 goals and 13 assists for 25 pts in 65 games for Columbus and Dallas. That compares with no goals and 5 pts in 57 games for Gaunce  in his draft+5 year (the year he turned 23). Also, although Gaunce is good defensively, Malhotra was better, and he had better speed. Both guys have good size but are not particularly physical players, although they use their bodies well to protect the puck and maintain good defensive position.  Answered your question, he's no Manny

I am bit surprised by the size of the contract. I thought that Gaunce's agent was just holding out for a one-way deal (which he got) and would have been happy to get something close to the NHL minimum ($650 K next year). Gaunce is getting an extra 100K. That would make him very expensive as an AHL player. He is getting significantly more than Rodin, Boucher, Chaput and Megna. And it is guaranteed for two years.

What this tells me is that the Canucks expect Gaunce to be on the 23-man roster to start the season. No guarantees of course. He still has to make the team. But I think he is currently pencilled in.

I wonder if the Canucks have doubts about the health of Rodin and Dorsett, They should who I expect to be on the team if they are healthy. Both guys have of course said that they are doing well, feeling great, and expect to be ready. But do players ever say anything else at this stage when coming back from injury?

I really want to comment on the highlighted part but couldn't resist a couple of others (see above :P)

I see this as a compromise deal for both parties.  Gaunce obviously wanted secutity (1-way, multiple years) and to get it, he had to take less money at the NHL level.  It would be a bad idea to give up on a player who did so much well last season except score.  A deal needed to be made but I think it's clear that Gaunce had dug in his heels.  So to get his term and 1-way, Gaunces NHL salary went from 833(70) to 750.  

Aquilini has shown with 5 other players that he is willing to sign 1-way contracts to players who may very well play all or most of the year in Utica.  Burmistrov (900), Rodin (700), Boucher, Chaput and Megna all (675) and the term for all of these is 1 year.  So, I don't think that this contract necessarily means that Gaunce has made the team.  Does the 2 year term put Gaunce at the top of this group or under Burmistrov?  Or is the number really indicative of the value that Benning is placing on these players before camp?

Trying to read between the lines.

Glad a deal got done and hope Gaunce finds form this year.

Archived