-AJ-

Sam Gagner | #89 | C/W

On 6/29/2018 at 1:24 PM, aGENT said:

I'm all for adding one of Roussel/Reaves and a guy like Beagle. That has pretty much n othing to do with Gagner though.

tumblr_n0jmojZ6Ir1s0t6o2o1_500.gif

• Hydration 1

12 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

he played wing on the 4th line in Columbus. Sedlak played center between him and hartnell. he also played point distributor for the blue jackets in which he was quite successful there. 

The sad part for sam is the nhl today is a young mans game. There’s a bunch of hungry kids ready to steal that nhl spot. In order to last in this league you need to become a extremely versatile or still be able to produce.  And the problem for gagner is, he’s a highly sheltered vet. Teams would much rather give those sheltered minutes to the youth in order to make there transition easier. 

Hes quickly finding himself in the 28-32 limbo. Similar to Raymond franson, glencross, higgins. Not quite good enough to keep a roster spot over youth and finding themselves on the outs.  

I think they did that at first, but they transitioned him to play the middle in a 1-3-1 set up on the powerplay.  He would be the give and go guy, and the option for a quick shot between the dots.  He was most successful there.

I still believe he wasn't used properly, and considering that not a lot of our players can play within that space (Goldobin, Pettersson, Leipsic, Boeser, Baertschi - all like to play the perimeter/off wing setup) Gagner is going to be heavily depended upon to help guide that powerplay.   

Although I agree, having to shelter a veteran is not ideal, knowing how JB and Green have emphasized the need for veteran leadership, i don't foresee Gagner being on the outskirts on the roster for at least the start of the season. 

Posted (edited)

It's looking like SG is the official target of the basement bully boy brigade on CDC for next season, so I'm a tad surprised that this tweet ( taken from the 'trades/ rumours thread  ) hasn't gotten the 4B crowd howling in unison. Okay it's from HockeyBuzz, but that's never stopped a good CDCer before !

14 hours ago, Hutton Wink said:

3 or 4 years is fine, but 6 puts us into that trouble alright, not to mention the blocking of younger dmen coming in.  Would definitely expedite the exits of Edler and/or Tanev, but who would you rather have long-term?  Don't think Chicago would be willing to give up enough to make the deal doable.

But would be happy to help them fill out their roster with veterans in a Gagner and MDZ, for a reasonable return.

Edited by SingleThorn

6 minutes ago, SingleThorn said:

It's looking like SG is the official target of the basement bully boy brigade on CDC for next season, so I'm a tad surprised that this tweet ( taken from the 'trades/ rumours thread  ) hasn't gotten the 4B crowd howling in unison. Okay it's from HockeyBuzz, but that's never stopped a good CDCer before !

I must be one of those you are referring to. Did not like the signing but saw the reasoning. My issue with Gagner is that he is a perimeter player and his puck possession is challenging. Weighing what he delivers versus how his TOI could be better spent I would not be sorry to see him move on. That decision is also impacted by the number of vets who will likely be on the roster on opening night. Currently there are too many.

• Upvote 2

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Boudrias said:

I must be one of those you are referring to. Did not like the signing but saw the reasoning. My issue with Gagner is that he is a perimeter player and his puck possession is challenging. Weighing what he delivers versus how his TOI could be better spent I would not be sorry to see him move on. That decision is also impacted by the number of vets who will likely be on the roster on opening night. Currently there are too many.

Not referring to anyone specific. Also, SG would be first on my 'trade, please' list. It is the overly negative and often harsh piling on that happens once a player becomes the official 'whipping boy du jour' that irks me. Players like Megna signed to be AHL/ depth players who end up playing 100% over their heads should be appreciated as an AHL player not as a 1st line plug. etc. etc.

Edited by SingleThorn
  • Upvote 4

JB doesn't want to lose face in having to move Gagner. So we'll probably be stuck with him the whole year. Eats up a spot for a young guy for another year.

10 goals for 3.2 million. blah

• Confused 1
  • Upvote 2

Hated it when he was signed, another easy to play against bottom 4 player that brings very little. Spends more time picking him self up off the ice than anything. 

Hawks want him two pucks not even a full bag and they can have him. 

• Upvote 4

1 hour ago, SingleThorn said:

Not referring to anyone specific. Also, SG would first on my 'trade, please' list. It is the overly negative and often harsh piling on that happens once a player becomes the official 'whipping boy du jour' that irks me. Players like Megna signed to be AHL/ depth players who end up playing 100% over their heads should be appreciated as an AHL player not as a 1st line plug. etc. etc.

No way should my comments about Gagner be taken as negative to his accomplishments. Any player who makes the AHL and NHL should be recognized as superior hockey players.  Obviously Gagner had a great season with Columbus the year before he came to Van. My take on the situation is all about development and the TOI required to bring prospects along. As a fan I have the latitude to make relatively uninformed judgments. Benning has to be far more pragmatic as he goes through a multi year rebuild. IMHO Van has to many vets so I identified Gagner as the player to move.

• Hydration 1

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

JB doesn't want to lose face in having to move Gagner. So we'll probably be stuck with him the whole year. Eats up a spot for a young guy for another year.

10 goals for 3.2 million. blah

:lol: No.

• Hydration 1