The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Signing] Canucks re-sign Horvat 6yrs 33M

timberz21

looking ahead to the 2018/19 season we'll have 30 mil in cap space to spend for that season even with this deal (and Loui's). Good work Jim. Lots of room coming to resign Stecher, Guddy, Granny, etc. and bring in new talent too. 

6 minutes ago, Warhippy said:

I'll call it a fail deal because we'll still retain his rights after it expires I believe.

Other than that it's a shade much for my tastes, but only by that half million.

My understanding is 7 years professional experience or over the age of 27 makes a UFA. At the end of this deal, Horvat will have played 9 years in the NHL. Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), I think he'll be a UFA.

As the numbers around the league continue to inflate, this deal should start looking great in a year or two if Bo continues to progress. 55-60 points this season would be decent value with hope the team starts providing more support around him moving forward. However, it is concerning that Bo might be pushed to the first line and potentially struggle against the top players in the league this year. Either way he`s a Canuck baby!

8 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

My understanding is 7 years professional experience or over the age of 27 makes a UFA. At the end of this deal, Horvat will have played 9 years in the NHL. Unless I'm missing something (which is entirely possible), I think he'll be a UFA.

Dammit yup, UFA at age 27....

Well I guess we'll see in 3-4 years if he is worth it.  Then we can start worrying about extensions 

So here we have perhaps the biggest Canuck news of the off-season, so let's check in on the local radio media to hear their take

1040 -- Bo Horvat talk

650 -- "I've been a Leafs fan since I was a kid... it's magical... Babcock is a wizard... The Plan... Canucks fans are jealous... if you're a Canadian, if you're a hockey fan, you have to be excited..."

45 seconds was all I could take of that slop.  They make "it's gonna be a bridge deal" no-source Leaf-licker Botchford look like a Canuck fan.  Rogers not only dropped the ball, they punctured and flattened it.

• -SN- pinned and featured this topic

Hopefully this also means a bigger role for him. What he managed last year given he spent half the year playing what amounts to the 3rd line he had some great numbers. He is THE guy going forward. 5.5 for your best young forward is pretty damn good if you ask me. This sets the bar pretty low for any other guys signing in the future. He was our best player last year. He'll only get better as he refines his game. Maybe not much better offensively. High 50s low 60s for points but his defensive game should start to round out pretty nicely going forward. 

Edit: I definitely wanted 8 years or a 2 year bridge deal. The next deal could be very scary for us. Lets hope he loves the city and the province as much as he says (Also helps if the team is starting to be a playoff contender) cause it could cost us a mint to re-sign a 27 year old, 20-25 goal scoring, 60+ point, Captain material UFA. But with that said, that's something to worry about in 5 years time. It's time to celebrate our best young forward finally getting signed, to a good contract, for a good amount of time. I love his game, he seems like a good person, and he has a warrior's heart. 

26 minutes ago, Bigturk8 said:

cap friendly is showing him as a UFA at the end of this deal 

Archived