The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Derrick Pouliot | #5 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

6 minutes ago, Legendary10 said:

To be fair though, If Biega were playing on a regular basis, his play would more than likely deteriorate due to wear and tear wrt his playing style and small stature.  Coming in and out of games allows him to play that "bulldog" style when inserted into the lineup.

Bring in some work ethic right now would not be a bad idea

2 hours ago, bree2 said:

just my opinion, but I think Jim Benning got rid of the wrong d man. Pouliot has lost several games for us , because of his dumb mistakes. he makes any pairing he is with look bad. 

To be honest, I think both could go anyway. Give someone like Sautner or Chatfield a chance. We need new blood rather than just having "more of the same".

2 hours ago, Legendary10 said:

To be fair though, If Biega were playing on a regular basis, his play would more than likely deteriorate due to wear and tear wrt his playing style and small stature.  Coming in and out of games allows him to play that "bulldog" style when inserted into the lineup.

Possibly.  He has never played enough to know that as a fact.  And even if true, I'd rather get 20 solid games out of a guy instead of playing a perpetual screw-up.

2 hours ago, kloubek said:

Possibly.  He has never played enough to know that as a fact.  And even if true, I'd rather get 20 solid games out of a guy instead of playing a perpetual screw-up.

By eyeballing the dates of games, it looks like Biega played pretty much all 51 of his games consecutively in 2015-16. It doesn't usually take long for his game to drop off. Even after about 4 or 5 games I've noticed it. That said, there could still be a case that even a fallen-off Biega might still be better than Pouliot sometimes.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

5 hours ago, Legendary10 said:

Perhaps Biega needs to tone it down a notch to be  effective long term 

He comes in to make an impression, but it is not sustainable for him to maintain that for very long

He needs to figure out what he can do to be effective and consistent and stay longer

11 minutes ago, ba;;isticsports said:

Perhaps Biega needs to tone it down a notch to be  effective long term 

He comes in to make an impression, but it is not sustainable for him to maintain that for very long

He needs to figure out what he can do to be effective and consistent and stay longer

I think he's figured it out already.  If he played any other way, i don't think he makes it out of Utica... EVER! 

6 hours ago, kloubek said:

Sure there is. He plays more than 3-5 games and his play drops off. He's the perfect spare D but there's no 'undiscovered ceiling' to be uncovered there.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 2

• 2 weeks later...

I do not understand how green can keep giving Pouliot chances to play regular..I was a fan that was so excited to have Pouliot with Vancouver..

He was a amazing D man with Portland but he is not a top 7 NHL D man. So many mistakes every game...Its been over 2 years now..

Really think its time to move away from Pouliot... We have Sautner and  Briesbois that should be given the #6 D spot a good long look..

• Upvote 2

He's actually completely useless. He serves absolutely no function on this team. I just don't get it

What's with this team and hanging on to players that even us dumb fans realize are going absolutely nowhere. The consensus on here is that Pouliot is a bum yet Green still plays him, and in the end, he'll be out of the league. This guy should give the European game a go and maybe he'll find success there but he's truly one of the most frustrating players I've seen in all my years of being a Canucks fan. Good riddance

• Wat 2

23 hours ago, 250Integra said:

Derrick Pouliot is worse than Aaron Rome

What is the point with a comment like that? Aaron Rome was not a 1st round pick. A 4th Round pick who played great hockey when needed in the '11 Playoffs. The 

0.4 second late hit on Horton finished his playoffs and Vancouver's playoffs. This guy never made any pretense of being more than he was. Show a little respect. 

• Upvote 2

On 2/8/2019 at 8:16 AM, 250Integra said:

Derrick Pouliot is worse than Aaron Rome

Obviously Pouliot is worse than Aaron Rome... WAY worse.

In fact, they should not be mentioned in the same sentence...  Aaron Rome tried every game he played and he stepped up when the crunch came.

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

It's getting interesting:towel::towel:

On the Pittsburgh Penguins

Jason Mackey: “Watching the @Sportsnet trade deadline feed. They’re saying the Canucks could be testing the market on Derrick Pouliot. Can’t imagine it actually happens, but it’s interesting to think about if you’re missing Letang & Dumoulin for any significant stretch.”

24 minutes ago, Wolfgang Durst said:
It's getting interesting:towel::towel:

On the Pittsburgh Penguins

Jason Mackey: “Watching the @Sportsnet trade deadline feed. They’re saying the Canucks could be testing the market on Derrick Pouliot. Can’t imagine it actually happens, but it’s interesting to think about if you’re missing Letang & Dumoulin for any significant stretch.”

Love to see Pouliot moved out, and Tanev too.  

• Upvote 1

Just now, combover said:

Yup 

burke just said he wouldn’t resign edler for more than a year. Couldn’t agree more.

To bad our owners don’t like hockey smart people they like controllable puppets. 

100% agree.  If Edler will not waive his NTC, then that's okay.  We clear his cap space at the end of the season.  That cap space is like a trade anyway, because we can use it to sign a younger UFA.  

• Upvote 1