The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brock Boeser and the Calder race.

Adarsh Sant

Wow , Brock is all alone. He practically carries any line he is on. When nobody was scoring on the Canucks. Brock was. Brock has hit the post at least 12 - 15 times this year, Brock could have 10 more assists if his linemates performed half decent in the first 30 games.

C'mon Brock we believe.  

20 minutes ago, cory40 said:

Wow , Brock is all alone. He practically carries any line he is on. When nobody was scoring on the Canucks. Brock was. Brock has hit the post at least 12 - 15 times this year, Brock could have 10 more assists if his linemates performed half decent in the first 30 games.

C'mon Brock we believe.  

I'm certainly not going to complain about his linemates - what more do you expect of Thomas Vanek?  Vanek has been very good - certainly not holding Boeser back.

Gagner is a depth center/winger, utility forward - not a 1C. 

And the first 30 games weren't the problem.- Horvat was here through 28 - nothing wrong with what those two were doing either.

Boeser has been extremely impressive without Horvat - but it's hard to complain about guys like Vanek and Gagner unless one has very unrealistic expectations.

12 minutes ago, oldnews said:

I'm certainly not going to complain about his linemates - what more do you expect of Thomas Vanek?  Vanek has been very good - certainly not holding Boeser back.

Gagner is a depth center/winger, utility forward - not a 1C. 

And the first 30 games weren't the problem.- Horvat was here through 28 - nothing wrong with what those two were doing either.

Boeser has been extremely impressive without Horvat - but it's hard to complain about guys like Vanek and Gagner unless one has very unrealistic expectations.

That's why I said first 30 games.

4 hours ago, Nicklas Bo Hunter said:

Well it was nice while it lasted but this is where barzal will be running away with the calder. Boeser has been shut out last 2 games... Barzal has 7 points in the last game and a period. Guy is gonna put up the points playing with tavares. Boeser just has no support and realistically barzal is probably the more complete player and i'm a huge boeser fan. If only horvat did not get hurt. 

No need to lose hope yet. Barzal could get an injury (not hoping for it) that sets him back while Boeser slowly creeps back up. Still a lot of games left to be played and although Barzal may look to be running away with it now, Horvat's return could change all of that.

1 hour ago, wai_lai416 said:

I don’t see how not winning the Calder will save us any money. I rather him win the Calder which means he’s continuing to tear the league up. He’s on elc anyways so not winning the Calder wouldn’t stop him from continuing to produce the next 2 years and earning a big payday. Prolong slump might not necessary be good for a developing rookie

He's only got 1 more season on his elc, we could potentially sign him July 1st. If he misses the Calder it could save us something. Not saying I don't want him to win, just being realistic. 

18 minutes ago, Tiger-Hearted said:

Thank goodness, Bo is skating again. Brock has been extremely impressive with his flexibility with other line mates but it's time to get Bo back playing with Brock. Maybe put Vanek on the other wing.

Interesting stat. Of the 13 goals that Boeser scored when both he and Bo were in the lineup together Bo assisted on 5 (3 of those were in 1 game). 26 games in the lineup together and Bo had assists on Boeser goals in 3 games, and yes I know they weren't immediately on the same line. I get the feeling that alot fans think Bo has assisted on like 10-12 of Boeser's goals. On the flipside, of the 8 goals that Bo scored when both were in the lineup Boeser assisted on 6. Seems like BB had the more positive impact on Bo as opposed to vice versa.

I'm not sayin Brock has hit a wall because its only been a couple of games without a point but alot of NCAA players do slow down the second half of the season due to the short season/playoffs in college. Whereas Barzal played in the CHL and went to the Memorial Cup last season with the T-Birds so he literally probably played 20-30 more games than Brock did last season and in previous seasons.

29 minutes ago, fanfor42 said:

The Calder race will go right down to the wire.  Ebbs and flows will happen lot of season left yet. Will come down to 3 candidates.  Brock will be one. Barzal another. Will happen how it happens. 

I think the 3rd will be McAvoy. He's 17 back of BB and now 24 back of Barzal in points. If he can get some points the 2nd half and finishes within 6-7 points of the rookie scoring lead then I think McAvoy gets it.

10 minutes ago, GritGrinder said:

I think the 3rd will be McAvoy. He's 17 back of BB and now 24 back of Barzal in points. If he can get some points the 2nd half and finishes within 6-7 points of the rookie scoring lead then I think McAvoy gets it.

Danton Heinen is also doing well. 31 pts in 38 games. 4th behind Boeser, Barzal and Keller. Less ice time as well. He could be a candidate if he keeps up the pace.

Of course if Barzal continues to put up above a point per game, he will win easily.

Although I will say this.

As of Jan 15, 2018:

Boeser is 13th in the league in primary points per 60 minutes.

Barzal is 40th in the league in primary points per 60 minutes.

So Boeser actually has 2 more primary points than Barzal, in 3 less games. So Boeser is producing more quality points in less ice time.

But this has nothing to do with Calder voting as the people who vote probably won't take any of this into account at all.

1 hour ago, GritGrinder said:

Interesting stat. Of the 13 goals that Boeser scored when both he and Bo were in the lineup together Bo assisted on 5 (3 of those were in 1 game). 26 games in the lineup together and Bo had assists on Boeser goals in 3 games, and yes I know they weren't immediately on the same line. I get the feeling that alot fans think Bo has assisted on like 10-12 of Boeser's goals. On the flipside, of the 8 goals that Bo scored when both were in the lineup Boeser assisted on 6. Seems like BB had the more positive impact on Bo as opposed to vice versa.

They may not have a direct impact on each other, but having Horvat in the lineup provides another threat offensively meaning the opposition has another player to focus on. This takes some pressure off of Boeser and allows him to have a bit more space. You can see now that the defenders are focusing in on Boeser and he has very little time and space to execute. Interesting stats nonetheless though.

2 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

It's clear which rookie is more valuable to their team. One is the teams best player while the other plays on a very deep team with consistent linemates. Without any doubt that will affect the Calder voting. Plus there is still half a season left. 

While I don't disagree with you whatsoever, sadly I think you give the Eastern Biased media (aka: Professional Hockey Writers Association) way too much credit for seeing the whole picture without bias. 

54 minutes ago, Camel Toe Drag said:

It's clear which rookie is more valuable to their team. One is the teams best player while the other plays on a very deep team with consistent linemates. Without any doubt that will affect the Calder voting. Plus there is still half a season left. 

48 minutes ago, Fanuck said:

While I don't disagree with you whatsoever, sadly I think you give the Eastern Biased media (aka: Professional Hockey Writers Association) way too much credit for seeing the whole picture without bias. 

I have to agree with Fanuck. I'm based in the East coast and even I have to agree. Not to mention, they're total simpletons. Highly doubt they're going to look at anything other than who has the most points by the end of it. 

Archived