The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Waivers] Eddie Lack

Mackcanuck

5 hours ago, Darius71 said:

SMITH has been saving their bacon there in Calgary, practically every game Ive watched he has stood on his head.  Problem is he is like 35 years old and will burn out at this rate.  They dont trust Lack, and will probably bring up Gillies im thinking.  

Who knows maybe JB can trade our Utica backup for 1 goal scorer , and former 18 year old, Sam Bennett ...lol...

But hey mainstream media experts told us Calgary had the best or one of the best D's in the league, but Smith is saving their bacon and now the media tells us Smith is one of the best goalies in the league.

They are in the bottom half of the conference in goals against. This team without Gaudreau at th eother end of the lineup would be in deep #hit!

I wonder if they are planning another move.  Getting rid of Lack will free up about 500K if they wanted to go with a cheaper backup.

Rumour has it they have had scouts at the last couple Sabre games.  But maybe they were there to look at the Chad as an upgrade for backup.

6 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I would like Vancouver to pick him up.   He is a really good goalie with zero confidence and has lacked proper goalie coaching since he left the Vancouver organization.   Just as Markstrom and Thor have shown what Canuck goalie coaching can do (Demko as well), having another solid veteran with Demko to improve the odds of an AHL team that competes just makes sense.    It would take a few maneuvers but if he goes unclaimed, Canucks should consider this IMHO as like Dmen, you cannot have too many good goalies in your system.

Sooo... we're going to run with three goalies?

Could see him ending up in Pittsburgh.

Pittsburgh probably doesnt want Jarry sitting on the bench behind Murray not playing in his prime development years and the Penguins clearly dont have a ton of faith in DeSmith to be the backup. My guess is, with the Niemi experiment over and out, Lack could slot in as the backup and be okay. Cap hit isnt terrible (because Carolina is paying a percentage of it) and this way it allows Wilkes Barre to get back their two solid goalies. Lack's numbers obviously havent been great, but they should rebound to be better than Niemi. Plus, Mike Johnston is familiar with Lack due to him coaching Lack during the Tortorella year here.

Doubt Vegas claims. Dansk and Fleury are closer to returning than not and the cap situation doesn't make sense.

34 minutes ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

Vancouver loved him here and that probably drove his play up.  I liked him......a good character who was fun for the fans.  Too bad he may have hit the end of his NHL career but he's made more than I'll ever make playing a game.

A lot of that love was some people's way of throwing shade on Luongo. Vancouver tends to get crushes on their backups when they are crapping on their starters.

4 hours ago, Jester13 said:

This is only my personal opinion, but Lack's attitude--I.e. Mr. Niceguy--is the wrong kind of attitude for the league. I believe that he lacks--sorry for the unintended pun, but it's the right word to use--the intensity and competitive edge to be a legit NHL goalie, even at the backup level. Yes, he's super nice, but I think that kind of attitude starts to annoy coaches and teammates when everything seems like a joke--it's great for fans.

Markstrom, on the other hand, in my opinion, lacks the elite skill to be a legit NHL #1 starting goalie, but his high competitive edge and intensity in games keeps him in the league and performing at a good backup level.

I wish Lack the best of luck.

I believe that this is indeed one of the factors that led Benning to pick Markstrom over Lack.  The other being that it was felt that Markstrom was mentally tougher.

It's a shame the way Lack's career went.  You can see how his stats fell off the table after he left Vancouver.  Melanson was coaching him to play a similar style to Nilsson, to stay back in his net, to play positionally sound and let the puck hit him.  When he went to Carolina, he was coached to play a completely different style,  more agressive and further out of his net.  It took an entirely different skill set.  I hope his career is not ruined.

Hopefully, New Jersey will pick him up and Melanson can coach him again.  :picard:  He's 29, 30 in January.

8 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

I would like Vancouver to pick him up.   He is a really good goalie with zero confidence and has lacked proper goalie coaching since he left the Vancouver organization.   Just as Markstrom and Thor have shown what Canuck goalie coaching can do (Demko as well), having another solid veteran with Demko to improve the odds of an AHL team that competes just makes sense.    It would take a few maneuvers but if he goes unclaimed, Canucks should consider this IMHO as like Dmen, you cannot have too many good goalies in your system.

I totally agree.  Lack needs a string of games and some confidence. Hes the type of goalie that needs to play to be good 

11 hours ago, Rob_Zepp said:

It is a personal attack to call you out for calling Eddie Lack a joke?   I think you need a new dictionary or perhaps are unfamiliar with the term "irony".    

Nothing personal here at all from me, simply standing up for a professional hockey player someone has taken a cheap shot at from their basement.   If you feel this is personal, perhaps you are realizing your own sense of guilt over your attack on Eddie Lack.    One can hope you have that level of decency.   

Just got to suck it up and stop feeding the Trolls.

7 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Can’t help but notice @Snidely Whiplash following people around the boards giving them negative reps for completely mundane, neutral posts.

And he wants to call other people snowflakes :rolleyes:

I’m actuality trying to figure out if these are unlimited. Back in the day there was a limit, then there was none then there was 1 now it’s freaken endless. And I figure that the people who just give me like 5 -1’s and don’t even say anything to justify it deserve to get them back. Especially over the most silliest of random sarcastic remarks over a guy who was a backup for a few years. If he couldn’t tweet he would have disappeared into obscurity like Andrew Rycroft. 

26 minutes ago, Sean Monahan said:

Can’t help but notice @Snidely Whiplash following people around the boards giving them negative reps for completely mundane, neutral posts.

And he wants to call other people snowflakes :rolleyes:

Neg wars are fun when you have rep to spare B)

Anyways, I hope Eddie finds a new home. He was a good goaltender for us...Maybe not a number one, but should be able to find work as a decent backup.

Archived