The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Canucks reassign Nikolay Goldobin to Comets

-Vintage Canuck-

4 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Ive been assessing young talent for years.  Ive learned to trust my gut.

Goldobin is not an NHL player imo.

You've been assessing talent for years and you're still so bad at it that all you can do is trust your gut? 

There is a good chance Goldobin won't become the player we want him to be, but when you have a player this talented, you don't throw them away at 22. 

13 minutes ago, King Heffy said:

We're not saying he isn't talented.  We're saying he simply isn't working hard enough to justify a regular spot in the lineup.  I am pretty sure Goldobin knows how to skate towards the defensive zone; it is his choice not to do so.  I hope he figures it out soon.

Hope he watches tape of Nail Yakupov and Michael Grabner, two previously one-dimensional forwards who added two-way elements to their game and are finding at least some regularity in the NHL.  The old adage is "you can't teach talent" which Nikolay clearly has, just hope he finds the drive to battle.  

3 minutes ago, 70seven said:

Ive been assessing young talent for years.  Ive learned to trust my gut.

Goldobin is not an NHL player imo.

It pains me to have to agree. Still hoping a light bulb can go off. All seems mental to me. I've watched a lot of kids come up through minor hockey and junior that play like Goldy.  They have skills. But never learned to play the game.

50 minutes ago, Wilbur said:

Bingo.  Go down to play.  He's probably the first one up when the next injury happens (which shouldn't be long).

or he'll come back up after the bye-week.  No reason to travel all the way to Minnesota if he's not playing.

6 minutes ago, Down by the River said:

You've been assessing talent for years and you're still so bad at it that all you can do is trust your gut? 

There is a good chance Goldobin won't become the player we want him to be, but when you have a player this talented, you don't throw them away at 22. 

Folks on CDC have no patience, and don't understand that different players (as they are individuals) learn and grow at different speeds. 

Some may never develop into NHL'ers, some struggle to stay in the NHL. Rare ones jump in head first and play like they were born to play in the NHL. 

1 hour ago, King Heffy said:

Can't say he didn't get chances this time.  No one expects a Selke candidate but the effort simply wasn't there.  Caught him twice in the third period gliding very slowly back into our own zone on the backcheck, last guy back in our own zone by far.

I want him to succeed and he has the talent to do so but it's probably time to move on.

I think this is really the key for his future.  It is pretty easy for a young kid to get frustrated when he can't earn ice time to prove he can be an NHL player.  I was worried that he wouldn't get a chance to show himself this season and then bail because he was being treated unfairly.

He got a really solid look in a long stretch like he hasn't had in his career... and he just wasn't good enough.  Hopefully this spurs him to work harder and improve the parts of his game holding him back.  I wouldn't write him off yet, but at this point it is up to him.

6 minutes ago, mll said:

or he'll come back up after the bye-week.  No reason to travel all the way to Minnesota if he's not playing.

Possibly.  Once Sutter is more reliable health-wise, I'm sure it'll be Chaput that goes down for good.  But with Baertschi back, that's once fewer offensive role for Goldobin to slide into.

he’ll get more ice time and meanfull ice time in the AHL Which is better for him.

Someone had to go down and he doesn’t require waivers so it’s pretty easy choice he gets to go down and play a lot.I believe poo is still here in the box watching.

41 minutes ago, Baer. said:

Wow, where to begin.

Firstly, what makes him valuable is his talent. He is offensively gifted, no question. It's his speed and positioning. The AHL is much more forgiving when it comes to both those traits. He is only 22 and has room to grow. He's a late bloomers as is with a lot of Russians, but to say he has no room to grow is just wrong.

Goldobin isn't going to score playing 8 minutes a night. He needs top minutes to be effective. And he's just not at that level in the NHL yet. He needs to be the comets' hardest working player night in and night out.

As for comparing him to Gaunce...you should know better than to make a foolish move like that. Two completely different style of players. Gaunce is a shutdown beast. He plays against other team's best players. Also you may not know this but Gaunce is one of the Canucks' fastest skaters.

Let's see;

Schroeder: has never been ppg in AHL

Boucher: Actually has room to grow. Have heard nothing but good things about him from Trent Cull. Should be in the lineup next year. You really like dismissing young players, don't you?

Shinkaruk: has never been ppg in AHL

Goldobin is far more skilled than any of those players.

Schroeder actually has played well enough to be on a playoff NHL team roster (albeit in a fringe capacity) - both for parts of this season & last season.  You need more than skill (unless you're so elite to overcome effort/experience).

Goldobin with the Sedins is tough sledding when you can't find enough exclusively ozone and sheltered situations for him.   Tough to get that many of those minutes for him when the team doesn't really have it's hard minutes forwards in the lineup.

Better to go back down and continue to work on his confidence and assertiveness without the puck.

With the puck he has the skill to be in the NHL, we surely could use that talent.

He needs to actually be willing to hit people or finish his check, he just plays a game that is almost like no contact hockey, which just cant happen in the NHL. Doesnt need to be a bruiser but has to finish his check and make some hits.

I think he does try and skate back decent, but I think he just lacks confidence or knows if he screws up he is going to get punished. I hope he actually puts in the effort to improve in the areas the Canucks are asking him to. He has a great opportunity if he puts in the effort and tries all the time. 

I hope he doesnt get discouraged by the way his season went here and possibly think about the KHL. Doesnt seem to be his intention, but next year he needs to clear waivers and that for sure wont happen someone will claim him. So if we wants to be a Canuck he needs to improve, if he knows his skillset alone will likely mean he gets a shot with an NHL team regardless next year via waivers then he may not try to bulk up a bit in the summer or work on being more fully engaged.

End of the day this is completely up to Goldobin to see how his future unfolds. He could be traded before next season opener though if Canucks dont see improvement and dont want to risk losing him on waivers.

Wake up Goldy, you dont need to be a 200ft defensive beast but you need to work harder without the puck and be more determined, Best of luck to you!!

With all our injuries the opportunity is there. I hope Larionov gets through to him that this isn't a beauty pageant to float through and collect money.

Larionov should explain the life of hardworking lunch bucket players like Hansen or Smyl, His opportunities are limited and he isn't getting any younger. Grabner needed to learn the hard way after going through a lot of teams hopefully it's not the same for Goldy.

I'm really not sure how to take it tbh, about a week ago he was one of the better players in some games especially playing with the Sedins he stood out back checked, controlled the puck strong made nice passes but still was in the doghouse and I couldn't understand it tbh. He isn't no Bure lol so he isn't going to stand out like a superstar which lots of people expect and that's not fair, people's expectations are way to high and don't properly evaluate him. Imo it's pretty sad when a 6M player(Eriksson) has 3 points in last 10 games and a 860K player(Goldy) has 2 points in 10 games at half the minutes that Eriksson gets and Goldy is the one who needs to improve? I was under the impression this team was on a rebuild? Or am I wrong and we're playing to win the cup? 

Archived