The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers CEO Nicholson hopes team adds top defenceman

Rush17

Sportsnet Article: Link

Edmonton Oilers CEO Bob Nicholson is “really disappointed” and “shocked” at how the 2017-18 season has unfolded.

Heading into Tuesday’s action, the NHL basement-dwelling Arizona Coyotes were the only Western Conference team with fewer points than the Oilers. The team has lost four straight and with only 27 games remaining on the schedule the playoffs seem out of reach.

“The whole group has to take responsibility,” Nicholson said Tuesday during an appearance on Prime Time Sports. “It starts in the dressing room all the way up to me.

“I’m convinced that with some changes we’ll be a lot better next year, but we got a heck of a lot of work to do.”

With the NHL Trade Deadline less than two weeks away, Oilers general manager Peter Chiarelli could be one of the busiest execs in hockey right up until 3 p.m. ET on Feb. 26. Management will need to make decisions on pending unrestricted free agents Patrick Maroon, Mark Letestu and Mike Cammalleri, but it might not stop there.

We will look to do something to try to improve our team, short and long term,” Nicholson said. “We’ve got some assets that we could trade here.”

Nicholson explained that he and team brass will use the remaining games to get a good evaluation on the players that could return for next season.

“If we could add another top defenceman that would be real good,” Nicholson added.

The former Hockey Canada president said that although the Oilers have some “excellent pieces,” some players have underperformed. He then pointed to the fact Edmonton has the 30th-ranked power play and is dead last in penalty kill and save percentage.

“We get one or two of those [categories] up we’re way better,” Nicholson said before giving a vote of confidence to the team’s starting netminder. “I still really believe in Cam Talbot and he’ll be the first person to say he hasn’t had a good year.”

Curious if we might have a piece in Tanev or Gudbranson they might be willing to overpay on.  I'd wish Tanev all the best if he was moved.  

A Gudbranson trade around some of their young assets be nice. Or perhaps a deal around Tanev for Pulvi.  Edmonton is in a prime window.  He could be a great asset for them.

1 for 1 swap I could even see.  He did Hall for Larssen.  Tanev for Pulvi would be a better deal on his resume then the Hall deal.

They have some good pieces yes, but if the Oilers organization ever hopes to get back together, they need to gut everything from the top management to the guy who sweeps popcorn from the stands after the game.

People act like this season is an anomaly, I don't think it is. Look at Edmonton's  history. They've been a dumpster fire where their only approach has been throwing top picks at the problem and watching their development get screwed up. The difference is last season they had two guys in McDavid and Draisaitl step above and beyond the usual for Oilers top picks. Now they're crashing back to Earth. There is no foundation, they just threw top picks at the problem again, but it was a bandaid problem. McDavid is a great player but he won't single-handedly save the organization. Look how many coaching and front office changes they've had.

Look what happened to Taylor Hall when he finally escaped, or Jordan Eberle. Their careers are on the upswing again. Nugent-Hopkins was projected as a first line centre in his draft year and it looks like he'll top out as a competent second liner. Look how his production has been on the decline since his rookie season. He should be improving. Same with Yakupov. Puljujarvi looks headed in that direction as well. These guys aren't McDavid calibre prospects but that shouldn't really matter. They botch the talent of these picks they're seemingly gifted every year. And gifted them they are. How many picks beyond the first round have established themselves as legitimate NHL players? And how many have done so in Edmonton? I'm not really seeing any. They don't draft well, they just draft high.

They don't know how to trade either. Larsson is a quality player but was he the best you could get for an elite left winger? This is the organization that traded the 15th that became Mathew Barzal, and 33rd, essentially a late first, for Griffin Reinhart. And even if they kept it and took Barzal and got a quality young player with that 33rd, I highly doubt they'd be doing as well as they are with Edmonton.

And of course because they hedged their bets on finally making the playoffs last year, they're about to get screwed even further from the salary cap.

This is par for the course for the Oilers. High picks won't solve the problem, nor will overpayment to acquire needs at all costs. Every organization has its flaws but the Oilers make the Cleveland Browns look competently run. They'll finish in the basement again, be gifted Dahlin, and rinse and repeat.

Honestly though I'm pretty happy about it. It sucks for the kids who get condemned there, and it sucks to watch them screw up the lottery system over and over, but Edmonton is in a hell of their own creation, and its amusing to watch them burn.

13 minutes ago, Blömqvist said:

The Canucks have a better powerplay than the Oilers? 

The Canucks actually have the 12th ranked power play. See, people rag on the Sedins, but they're a big reason our power play is so good. 
The Oilers have the 30th ranked power play... with McDavid and Draisaitl.

The only D I would trade to them would be Hutton, Stech or Guddy. as for forwards  Granny Sven or goldie. and only if Jesse was coming our way. There is not one othjer plpayer I would want from them.  Ide go guddy and granny + a small add for him or Hutton and sven  If Tanev and Edler are going to be moved. If im JB I'm looking at every playoff team that will most likely pick in the high teens for those two For example. No idea if St Louis needs A D but my asking price would be Kostin and A first. CBJ I want there 1st and Panerin they will never keep him once his deal is up. So Tanev Sven and 2 2nds is that enough? For Edler a mid to late first and A RHD prospect. If teams won't pay we move on We have zero need to move those 2 unless we are blown away.  let the bashing begin.

6 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

*Sigh*

I can't believe the Oilers are tied in points with us. How is this organization so bad?! How the hell--with McDavid--their power play is 30th in the league?

My best guess is there's some issues in the room.  Having scum like Lucic in a "leadership" role isn't good for anyone except the makers of athletic cups everywhere.

Archived