The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Oilers CEO Nicholson hopes team adds top defenceman

Rush17

4 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

"Fine tune"?  Outside of the Big Two Salaries their roster is a mess and needs an overhaul.

But what a mess to start from.

You or I would be so lucky to have the assets they have to start making changes with.

It makes us sick, but they have a decent shot at the best Dman in a long time or, failing that, an impact player, at this year’s draft. 

A few trades and they could be unimagbly better next year.

As much as I hope they fizzle and sputter, I can’t see them sucking much longer.

Its going to suck for us if they retool between now and next season. That’s just my prediction, but with the assets they have to make quality changes, it’s hard to expect them not to get better. Much better. 

1 minute ago, PhillipBlunt said:

It's hilarious how some posters give certain teams a few years to "fine tune" their roster, but vilify the Canucks for taking a few years to rebuild.

stop it with the reasonableness Phil.

Edmonton should be all-in for Karlsson, not Dahlin. Sure Dahlin projects to be a great player but the damage they might do to that kid could turn him into another Yakupov.

Chiapet should offer Edmonon's unconditional 1st and 2nd rounders this year, Puljujarvi and Nurse to land EK. It gives them a year to be competitive and work on an extension. Tanking for the 1st overall won't help them for a couple of years and in the meantime what, continue to suck? 

1 minute ago, Jimmy McGill said:

stop it with the reasonableness Phil.

Edmonton should be all-in for Karlsson, not Dahlin. Sure Dahlin projects to be a great player but the damage they might do to that kid could turn him into another Yakupov.

Chiapet should offer Edmonon's unconditional 1st and 2nd rounders this year, Puljujarvi and Nurse to land EK. It gives them a year to be competitive and work on an extension. Tanking for the 1st overall won't help them for a couple of years and in the meantime what, continue to suck? 

They seem to have cornered the market on that.

Ideally, I want us to go after young defense, but not sure Oilers have anything to offer there that is worth enough to be the main piece.  So Puljujarvi looks to be the best target on their team.  We are already going to have a glut of forwards in a couple of years, but there is nothing saying we couldn't trade them in return for help on d.

Gudbranson > Oilers 
If Guddy doesn't re-sign with them, we also send our 2019 3rd and 2020 3rd

Puljujarvi > Vancouver

But considering I'd rather not have us play against Guddy so often, I'd rather see:

Tanev.> Oilers

Puljujarvi + Jones + 2nd > Canucks

44 minutes ago, KKnight said:

Would be terrible for the league. How many 1st overall picks does a franchise need??

I would be content seeing any of the bottom tier teams get 1st other than the coilers and yotes, because they dont deserve a superstar. 

Van, Sens, Sabres and the Habs. 

Sens and Habs have had their chance with a #1 dman with Karlsson and Subban respectively. Sabres could use Dahlin's, but they already took a #1 pick away from us in 1970, so I think it's only fair that we get it this time around. I agree that the Oilers don't deserve another #1 pick and there are plenty of good dmen available that they don't need to have the top pick. Also Dahlin would be a waste in Arizona because they will just suffocate his talent.

Just now, 189lb enforcers? said:

But what a mess to start from.

You or I would be so lucky to have the assets they have to start making changes with.

It makes us sick, but they have a decent shot at the best Dman in a long time or, failing that, an impact player, at this year’s draft. 

A few trades and they could be unimagbly better next year.

As much as I hope they fizzle and sputter, I can’t see them sucking much longer.

Its going to suck for us if they retool between now and next season. That’s just my prediction, but with the assets they have to make quality changes, it’s hard to expect them not to get better. Much better. 

This "they're gonna be so good soon" narrative has been going on for 6-7 years now, yet nothing but a one-year blip-up to show for it.  IMO they're giving the impression of being deluded about what they have, like if Toronto thinks their rebuild is done and all they need to do is add some candy sprinkles and the cups will start rolling in.

Nicholson likewise says "we've got some assets that we could trade here" but what assets are they going to use to improve?  Ship out RNH?  Puljujarvi?  Their secondary scoring is already crippled after moving Eberle and Hall.  They can't afford to lose any decent defencemen, and their prospect depth is barren.  My cousins are die-hard Oiler fans but they don't have any answers either. 

Their best possible move might be this -- win the lotto, then trade the pick for a massive haul of younger established players.  The last thing they need is yet another "saviour" that they'll put on a pedestal then end up spoiling.  It's become pretty clear that like Calgary they're just not very good at development, so they might as well skip that process by having someone else do it for them.  If they (or anyone) wins the lotto they could immediately transform into a solid playoff team via a decent Lindros-like move.

23 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

This "they're gonna be so good soon" narrative has been going on for 6-7 years now, yet nothing but a one-year blip-up to show for it.  IMO they're giving the impression of being deluded about what they have, like if Toronto thinks their rebuild is done and all they need to do is add some candy sprinkles and the cups will start rolling in.

Nicholson likewise says "we've got some assets that we could trade here" but what assets are they going to use to improve?  Ship out RNH?  Puljujarvi?  Their secondary scoring is already crippled after moving Eberle and Hall.  They can't afford to lose any decent defencemen, and their prospect depth is barren.  My cousins are die-hard Oiler fans but they don't have any answers either. 

Their best possible move might be this -- win the lotto, then trade the pick for a massive haul of younger established players.  The last thing they need is yet another "saviour" that they'll put on a pedestal then end up spoiling.  It's become pretty clear that like Calgary they're just not very good at development, so they might as well skip that process by having someone else do it for them.  If they (or anyone) wins the lotto they could immediately transform into a solid playoff team via a decent Lindros-like move.

Sure, you could also spin it this way, why not? Have at it. You paint the negatives quite well, but leave out the positives. If I’m being serious, that’s as dishonest of an assessment on the Oilers as I’ve seen, but coming from a fan on a Canucks forum, I take no issue with it. I like your Lindros idea. 

Last time I stuck up for another team’s chances, even you were mocking me for it. I get the rival thing for fans, but I’m not so bitter as to not see the good too. Forgive me for not being as eager to leave my hockey sense faculties at the door when I enter this forum. 

I hope you’re right about the Coilers. It would be great for the Canucks if you are. 

The Coilers are absolutely loaded with movable, quality assets. Which direction they go in will be interesting as they will hold a strong position in most conceivable options or directions.

I can’t bring myself to dump on their potential to improve given all of their options. I predict that the Oilers will be a solid contender in next season’s playoffs. They are too rich with talent not to be. It’s just a matter of time before the “laughable fine tuning” gets their engine running.  

I feel bad for whichever GM ends up sending valuable assets to that team in return for Puljujarvi. The kid is a very high risk prospect right now. Has the tools to become and elite winger, but he has a terrible time putting it together. Every time I watch him he just looks lost out there. 

Defnitely wouldnt give up Tanev for him. Tanev is the only piece the Canucks have right now which could fetch them a high-end D prospect. RW is the one position the Canucks don’t really need to much help in right now (hail Brock); defense on the other hand, that needs some work. 

26 minutes ago, Hutton Wink said:

5 minutes ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Sure, you could also spin it this way, why not? Have at it. You paint the negatives quite well, but leave out the positives. If I’m being serious, that’s as dishonest of an assessment on the Oilers as I’ve seen, but coming from a fan on a Canucks forum, I take no issue with it. I like your Lindros idea. 

Last time I stuck up for another team’s chances, even you were mocking me for it. I get the rival thing for fans, but I’m not so bitter as to not see the good too. Forgive me for not being as eager to leave my hockey sense faculties at the door when I enter this forum. 

I hope you’re right about the Coilers. It would be great for the Canucks if you are. 

The Coilers are absolutely loaded with movable, quality assets. Which direction they go in will be interesting as they will hold a strong position in most conceivable options or directions.

I can’t bring myself to dump on their potential to improve given all of their options. I predict that the Oilers will be a solid contender in next season’s playoffs. They are too rich with talent not to be. It’s just a matter of time before the “laughable fine tuning” gets their engine running.  

But if we tank for a couple of years, all will be roses and cotton tails in a few short years? Like I said before, I will rather take our "not so top 5" draft picks in Bo and Boes any day then be like Edmonton,thanks. ::D

9 hours ago, NaveJoseph said:

The Canucks actually have the 12th ranked power play. See, people rag on the Sedins, but they're a big reason our power play is so good. 
The Oilers have the 30th ranked power play... with McDavid and Draisaitl.

Thats messed up. How is that even possible, maybe they wanted Dahlin all along and the team gets a bonus if they threw the season. Hahahah

The NHL should not allow any team to have first overall more than twice in any given ten year window.   Edmonton is welcome to being a lottery team but if they were to win the thing this year, they should be able to at most draft 3rd or similar overall.   

43 minutes ago, Canadian Clay said:

I feel bad for whichever GM ends up sending valuable assets to that team in return for Puljujarvi. The kid is a very high risk prospect right now. Has the tools to become and elite winger, but he has a terrible time putting it together. Every time I watch him he just looks lost out there. 

Defnitely wouldnt give up Tanev for him. Tanev is the only piece the Canucks have right now which could fetch them a high-end D prospect. RW is the one position the Canucks don’t really need to much help in right now (hail Brock); defense on the other hand, that needs some work. 

Any GM has to take some risk in deal making. I understand where your coming from but he's only like 19-20.  He still has a lot of time to piece it all together.  Tanev will become a declining asset starting in the final year of his contract. If a team gets him now they got 3-4 good strong years before we likely see any dip in his play. He is primed and ready if he can find the right team.

Archived