The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Brendan Leipsic | #9 | LW/C

PuckYa

I actually really like Leipsic.  He's pretty damn quick, and is both smart enough and mobile enough to get himself into position to make plays.  Not the best shooter nor the biggest guy in the world, but he plays with passion and I can see that being particularly useful next season when we're going to need to ensure our young guys are taught the right way to play in the absence of the Sedins.

At the end of the day though, unless he takes a big step up to another level, I see him being eclipsed by several of our young talented forwards coming through the pipeline.  I'd say that next season would be make or break for him, but he can play the role of a Burrowsesque player so there might be a spot for him in the bottom 6 if he doesn't work out.

• Cheers 2

39 minutes ago, kloubek said:

I actually really like Leipsic.  He's pretty damn quick, and is both smart enough and mobile enough to get himself into position to make plays.  Not the best shooter nor the biggest guy in the world, but he plays with passion and I can see that being particularly useful next season when we're going to need to ensure our young guys are taught the right way to play in the absence of the Sedins.

At the end of the day though, unless he takes a big step up to another level, I see him being eclipsed by several of our young talented forwards coming through the pipeline.  I'd say that next season would be make or break for him, but he can play the role of a Burrowsesque player so there might be a spot for him in the bottom 6 if he doesn't work out.

I see him probably best as a third line guy, like Burrows and Hansen. That said, both guys showed the ability to play top 6 minutes if needed and I think I could see Leipsic in a similar vein.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

45 minutes ago, -AJ- said:

I see him probably best as a third line guy, like Burrows and Hansen. That said, both guys showed the ability to play top 6 minutes if needed and I think I could see Leipsic in a similar vein.

I like Leipsic and I am projecting him to make the team next year despite a lot of competition. But if he ever reaches the level of Burrows or Hansen we should be doing cartwheels. Both those guys were much more than just solid third liners. In particular, both Hansen and Burrows were stellar shutdown and PK guys. That is unlikely for Leipsic. Right now, I am projecting Leipsic as an "energy guy" who probably plays on the 4th line next year. I could see a line of Leipsic, Gaudette and Virtanen being a good 4th line, with good energy, good speed, good physical play and some helpful secondary scoring.

• Upvote 2

3 minutes ago, JamesB said:

I like Leipsic and I am projecting him to make the team next year despite a lot of competition. But if he ever reaches the level of Burrows or Hansen we should be doing cartwheels. Both those guys were much more than just solid third liners. In particular, both Hansen and Burrows were stellar shutdown and PK guys. That is unlikely for Leipsic. Right now, I am projecting Leipsic as an "energy guy" who probably plays on the 4th line next year. I could see a line of Leipsic, Gaudette and Virtanen being a good 4th line, with good energy, good speed, good physical play and some helpful secondary scoring.

True true. For some reason I was only thinking of those guys offensively and in their aggressive play style. Leipsic is basically them, but currently without the defense.

1 minute ago, JamesB said:

The kid had flashes of brilliance last night for sure.  Plus, when he first arrived, he was really good too.  Like a lot of younger players, he needs to be consistent.  Hopefully the time spent watching the Twins teaches all our younger guys that hard work off the ice, and total commitment to being a full time professional is really important to becoming the best player you can be.

• Upvote 2

Leipsic seems like one of those bottom-to-middle-six wingers that is not a bad liability in the D-zone and adds enough offensive skill to make a line more dangerous.  I'm not expecting him to turn into a first liner for the Canucks but he does look like he could be a player who can help to eat minutes to help bridge our younger prospects in.  Leipsic's still quite young himself so he could very well be around when the younger prospects begin to enter their prime.

• Upvote 1

13 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

Leipsic seems like one of those bottom-to-middle-six wingers that is not a bad liability in the D-zone and adds enough offensive skill to make a line more dangerous.  I'm not expecting him to turn into a first liner for the Canucks but he does look like he could be a player who can help to eat minutes to help bridge our younger prospects in.  Leipsic's still quite young himself so he could very well be around when the younger prospects begin to enter their prime.

He's only a year older than Horvat and younger than Baer and Greanny so yeah I'd say he's a part of that young core.

• Upvote 1

14 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

hard to say if he can stick.  at times he has a trouble getting the puck out of our end.  doesn't do well in puck battles either.   If u are a small guy you need to be like Johnny hockey or be a pocket superman.  Of the recently additions Motte, leipsic, joki - i think the leipsic has been third on the list.   Motte is not playing cause of waiver issues but the last 2 games he was very impactful.   Don't get me wrong I like leipsic and want him to succeed, but his game needs substantial work which can only be a the NHL level, but if you look what we got coming next year, it will be hard for him to stick.  Motte on the otherhand looks like he can play pk and 4th lines minutes effectively.   

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Junkyard Dog said:

He's only a year older than Horvat and younger than Baer and Greanny so yeah I'd say he's a part of that young core.

I don’t think he’s a core guy.  He’s certainly part of our young group though.  

He's got some talent for sure.  Could be a good third liner for us when this core rounds itself out.  Even if he ends up being a guy that creates more competition for our team in camp, we still do pretty good in the trade for him.

On 4/6/2018 at 2:45 PM, JamesB said:

I'm expecting (and hoping) that Virtanen will not be a fourth line player next year.  I'm hoping he's a third line player who ends the year on one of the top 2 lines.  Leipsic has been a pleasant surprise so far.  There's definitely some Burrows characteristics there (a guy who you could play on different lines) but that's a tough expectation for him right now.

10 hours ago, NHL97OneTimer said:

I'm expecting (and hoping) that Virtanen will not be a fourth line player next year.  I'm hoping he's a third line player who ends the year on one of the top 2 lines.  Leipsic has been a pleasant surprise so far.  There's definitely some Burrows characteristics there (a guy who you could play on different lines) but that's a tough expectation for him right now.

Is Leipsic eligible to go to Utica for playoffs?

30 minutes ago, logic said:

I like Leipsic waaaaaay more than Motte

Totally different players who will have totally different roles to stay in NHL.    Leipsic can never really be a 4th line guy whereas Motte can define that role for a team.  Funny thing, BL has oodles more natural talent but Motte may end up having a longer NHL career just given the role definition given to players.

• Upvote 1