The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Put Thy $ Where The Mouth Is! ('18-19, good, or bad?)

Nuxfanabroad

53 minutes ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Recently bumped a few old threads, cos' proof's in the pudding. I REALLY like 80~90% of Jimbo's work, & have frequently stated this. That they re-signed him to that 3 yr term seems pretty darn fair & accurate. Only flaws/possible gaffes I felt were going light on signing enough grit(past coupla' yrs)..seems this is finally being adequately addressed. Therefore, betting next yr's injuries decrease accordingly.

I've been reading a lot of pessimism regarding next season, but I don't agree. Not much time for a lengthy post, so I'll succinctly state: Next yr we're in the WC hunt(on par with Avs or NJ, this season).

I'd appreciate if any posters herein,  step up to the plate in agreement. I won't argue with any naysayers(all views entitled)..but I'm curious who has faith in the team, for next season.

Cheers!

Well pretty hard to make any prediction one way or the other without knowing what the team will be?   On the Back  Tanev and Hutton could be gone, Juolevi could be or not in and of course if we pick 1st.  Guys from the A may be in.   Goalie same question - is Demko in and what does he do - you cannot answer that.  And of course are Gaudette, and all the other young guys going to be in and where will the Sedins be.  

What I am trying to say, is that it is impossible to predict what this team will even look like let alone what it will do.   Your prediction isn't based on sound analysis because we have nothing to analyze at this stage.

with some luck, yes I do think that being competitive for a WC spot down to the last 7-10 days is possible. 

Bo's the real deal. Sutter is far better than he's given credit for as a shut down C. Boeser is Boeser. 

If Jake keeps improving, Marky plays all year like the last 30 days Marky, and we see an injury free Guddy... yah I can see it. 

But we need some serious luck on the injury side and with our depth guys stepping up.  

43 minutes ago, captainhorvat said:

If I see this lineup next season then yes...

Kane Horvat Boeser

Sedin Sedin Pettersson 

Leipsic Gaudette Virtanen

Gaunce Sutter Eriksson 

Granlund

Goldobin

Dahlin Tanev

Edler Gudbranson

Stecher Del Zotto

Joulevi

Biega

Demko/Markstrom 

Really? LOL You and I secretly know he's not landing here.

I was pretty convinced last year that we would be a playoff team this season.. and I have the same feeling about next season, haha. 
Will remain cautiously optimistic - but i think Pettersson and Gaudette as well as maybe Dahlen making this team can put us over the 'hump'.

One thing I am fairly certain about, this season will be (hopefully) the last bottom 5 finish this club will have in a while. 

Ok. 

The Canucks were exciting and looked to be making a huge step forward until the injury bug hit with its predictable ferocity by December.

It's difficult for me to predict next season because of the teams brutal injury luck, so being forced to put my money where my mouth is...-

Our depth has improved, the kids look promising but need a marinate. Our sad sack of oft crippled vets and a defense that struggles to clear the zone... I expect more of the same. A bottom ten finish, maybe spitting distance to a wild card, but still bottom 10.

Now, if the heavens part and by some miracle our defence can not only stay healthy, but successfully move the puck out of our end regularly AND our vet forwards play to their pay grade we might just squeeze in to the playoffs.

Oh, our goaltending needs tobe better than an absolute joke when games actually matter too.

It's not lookingvery good for the playoffs next year, not at all. 2020 though.. I'd bet on 2020

1 hour ago, 189lb enforcers? said:

Next season JB should cull the roster to keep it in the tank.

That next draft is just as critical for the future as this one.

Suckcess, that’s what I want out of this team next year. 

Finally a poster that know hockey and gets what our club needs going forward.

Patience people.....  the club needs more assets...   Our time is  3-4 years away still...

When asked, Benning said that he was a drafting and development guy.  It's beyond me why so many take this to mean drafting only.  We have to be patient with the development part.  I think we're starting to see some of the players come along like Virtanen and Gaunce.  Motte, Goldobin, and Pouliot are starting to show signs.  I'm not sure about Hutton.  Part of development is evaluation and I don't know whether anybody is being given up on.  

I think we will see more young players getting shots next season like Gaudette, Pettersson, Dahlen, Juolevi and perhaps Demko.  Since the numbers are high, I don't expect a playoff team next year but as long as the kids are developing in the main, that's ok by me.

If Benning is holding on to some veterans or has to add veterans to shelter the kids, that is fine.  I really don't care about them because they are not the future.  Benning will likely have to make some hard decisions between now and Christmas to fit the pieces of the puzzle together.  The good news is that there are lots of pieces to work with.  

Next season, we are either going to lose the Sedins (in which case we won't have enough top-6 talent) or we're going to keep the Sedins (and we're going to have low-quality top-6 talent).  We're going to have one of the worst starting goalies in the league - and likely a rookie backing him up.  Our defense is going to be every bit as awful as it was this year.  We're going to have like 37 bottom-six forwards.  Etc...

Unfortunately, not much is going to change (unless we luck out and get Dahlin). 

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Nux I'd completely agree with you if you'd have said the season after next!  That's when we'll be competitive imo. 

I'm going to agree with Fanuck which does not necessarily disagree with the OP. I believe the team is headed in the right direction and overall have no problem with management of the team. Without the Sedins or any semblance of solid goaltending (Demko looks great and all but has not proven anything at the NHL level) combined with a defensive core that still needs updating (again I believe Jimbo is working on this) means next year could be a rough one again. One more year of pain to see Bo, Boesser, Gaudette, Petersson, OJ, Virtanen build into the next core of success. I don't see a bottom 5 finish next year but I think playoffs are another year away. 

3 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Recently bumped a few old threads, cos' proof's in the pudding. I REALLY like 80~90% of Jimbo's work, & have frequently stated this. That they re-signed him to that 3 yr term seems pretty darn fair & accurate. Only flaws/possible gaffes I felt were going light on signing enough grit(past coupla' yrs)..seems this is finally being adequately addressed. Therefore, betting next yr's injuries decrease accordingly.

I've been reading a lot of pessimism regarding next season, but I don't agree. Not much time for a lengthy post, so I'll succinctly state: Next yr we're in the WC hunt(on par with Avs or NJ, this season).

I'd appreciate if any posters herein,  step up to the plate in agreement. I won't argue with any naysayers(all views entitled)..but I'm curious who has faith in the team, for next season.

Cheers!

I'm ready to add to my 30+ years of bleeding the colours 

3 hours ago, TheYjUstMaKeYoUwooZy said:

I honestly cant see us finishing in the bottom 10 next year. When we were healthy for the first half of the season we were a bubble team and in almost every game.  We only have 2 of our 4 top 10 picks in the line up.  Depending on where we end up drafting this year we will have 4-5 rookies( 2-3 top ten picks) starting next year. That is unheard of for the Canucks.    For the first time since the retool/rebuild younger players will be fighting for spots.  That's like a double bottom for me.

Our goaltending  will still be a big question mark(Demko is not as close as people think) but I think our current tandem will look better with next years D-core.  

Benning got an A++ from me last year because of two main things, Pettersson and Dahlen

If he can trade Tanev for a decent package at the draft then and A+this year.   Motte and Lipsec look like great additions at the draft.  

Motte I hope your joking 

9 minutes ago, bloodycanuckleheads said:

Next season, we are either going to lose the Sedins (in which case we won't have enough top-6 talent) or we're going to keep the Sedins (and we're going to have low-quality top-6 talent).  We're going to have one of the worst starting goalies in the league - and likely a rookie backing him up.  Our defense is going to be every bit as awful as it was this year.  We're going to have like 37 bottom-six forwards.  Etc...

Unfortunately, not much is going to change (unless we luck out and get Dahlin). 

I think you're right about it not getting any better next year.  At least, not necessarily.  How many are top 6?  Probably not enough right now.  How many can fill in a top 6 role?  Meeeeehhhhh....Sutter can log a lot of minutes in a defensive role...... 

Here's a depth chart sans Sedins

Baertschi           Horvat          Boeser

Granlund           Sutter           Eriksson

Leipsic              Gaudette      Virtanen

Goldobin           Gagner         Pettersson*

Archibald          Dowd            MacEwen

Motte                Chaput          Lind

Boucher

Dahlen

Gadjovich 

The question for me is can this group cope and still develop?  Do they need some grit if Archibald isn't really an NHL player (as I suspect).  Archie for me is like a forward version of Biega.  He shows great enthusiasm and can do well but given time, gets exposed.  I don't know what Benning does with this group over the summer but there are plenty of questions.

Archived