The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

(The Province Article) Preaching Patience and Selling Hope

Tre Mac

3 minutes ago, PhillipBlunt said:

Baertschi getting a bigger offensive role? Uhh......

I view that as a sheltered offensive role. 'Sedin' usage. Technically 'lower' off the first (Horvat) line but with more prime offensive zone starts and easier usage. I think he gets paired up with Pettersson + 1 (and likely pumped for trade value).

6 minutes ago, Jimmy McGill said:

how the heck could they possibly calculate those odds? 

Islanders easy to say are favourites, Toronto because hometown and blah blah everyone wants to play for the leafs . Canucks and Vegas got huge cap space , rangers sharks i dunno, blues and Montreal desperate for a c? Lol probably some crap like that 

8 minutes ago, Silky mitts said:

Islanders easy to say are favourites, Toronto because hometown and blah blah everyone wants to play for the leafs . Canucks and Vegas got huge cap space , rangers sharks i dunno, blues and Montreal desperate for a c? Lol probably some crap like that 

I guess people will bet on anything 

5 hours ago, goalie13 said:

Totally agree with this approach.

Keep building slowly through the draft and once the team is close, only then make some trades and sign some free agents to complete the puzzle.  Going for a quick fix just doesn't work.

Agreed, but a lot of people assume those trades will be there when the time is perfect for us. That's not what happens. If you think you need ROR or Tavares to compete 4 years from now you have to get them now, when they're available. You don't just get to show up in the summer of 2021 once you have some good young guys and say "OK, I'd like to sign free agent superstars now." and hold out your hand. If Benning thinks he has to capitalize on an opportunity this summer he should do it, even if the fans scream that he's going for a "quick fix." and ignoring reality.

2 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

I loved the way TL played hockey and have absolute faith in his ability to say the right thing in a press conference.  His willingness and ability to carry that out I am unsure of.

This team should be building through the draft.  Both because it is really the only way to really build a championship team and because their pro-scouting is undermanned and out of its depth.  That is clearly on TL and JB.

If the general sentiment is we need more muscle, I ask why pay Gudbranson so much as toughness is all he really provides.

It bothers me when I see all these posts saying the rebuild is almost done.  We still are lacking the two hardest pieces to get, a number one centre and a number one D man (and quite probably a number 2 D man that isn't close to or well above 30).  Maybe Pettersson will become an NHL centre, and maybe a good one, but could well end up on the wing.  Even with some lottery luck there is no guarantee that you leave with one of those anyway.  I think it is reasonable even at this stage to make a pitch for either of those positions in the rare occasion that a relatively young one becomes available and JT and JC fit those categories.  Don't think either will come here  but worth the pitch.

Ultimately I think what we saw last year will be what we see this year.  Some inexpensive vets that don't really move the needle, and may ultimately slow down the rebuild.  Hopefully with the draft in Van next year we will have some lottery luck as we should be very much in the running.

I disagree that we are missing a #1C and a #1D. I think that is what Vegas proved this year. Depth is way more important. 

This team is closer than most think. 

5 minutes ago, spur1 said:

I disagree that we are missing a #1C and a #1D. I think that is what Vegas proved this year. Depth is way more important. 

This team is closer than most think. 

Don't use Vegas as a model on how to build a franchise.  Happens all the time that an average team rides hot goalie to the finals.  

I would rather look at the Stanley Cup winners to look for a pattern on how to build a team.  

Top end quality at the important positions of centre and D and solid to spectacular goal tending, fill the rest with best depth you can with the dollars remaining.

3 minutes ago, mephnick said:

Agreed, but a lot of people assume those trades will be there when the time is perfect for us. That's not what happens. If you think you need ROR or Tavares to compete 4 years from now you have to get them now, when they're available. You don't just get to show up in the summer of 2021 once you have some good young guys and say "OK, I'd like to sign free agent superstars now." and hold out your hand. If Benning thinks he has to capitalize on an opportunity this summer he should do it, even if the fans scream that he's going for a "quick fix." and ignoring reality.

I didn't say anything about signing superstars.  The trades and signings I was referring to would be to get the final pieces to complement the players the Canucks have drafted and developed.

41 minutes ago, aGENT said:

I'd FAR sooner add Roussel, Reaves etc.

So can we officially stop with all the 'They're going to go for the quick fix' panic now CDC?

I would be happy if they added both those guys.

5 hours ago, combover said:

Then trade tanev and add draft picks so we can “build through the draft”. 

Besides I don’t think many if any “big fish” want to come and be part of the poorest run and worst teams in the league over the last three years a team with more hole in their line up than a teabag,but that won’t stop spender jim regardless of what the PR man says. 

prediction - July 1st  benning throws yet another stupid contract offer to a ufa to land try and land a “big fish”.

spender jim has proven he has little to no self control when the ufa time comes. 

Your boss comes out and publicly states a direction for your organization and then you go and do the opposite?    OK, interesting.    

I dig this approach. With all the cap space we have it's really tempting to throw a wad at Tavares or one of the top dmen UFAs, but it feels too early in the rebuild to go after big pieces in UFA. I'd rather let the kids develop a bit, see what we have in them, then use UFAs to push us over the top or just fill the holes that our prospect pool doesn't fill. Going all out now would feel like artificially inflating a still weak and growing team, and only temporarily.

First  time poster.  I have been watching the Canucks since 1969, I just hope I get to see a Stanley Cup win before I pass on. The point is, it is time to get doing, and making it happen. As some of us have had to have a lot patience over the last 5 decades. Maybe Trevor Linden and Jim Benning can take us into consideration when making their decisions in the near future and not screw up the rebuild. 

So if we are going to be patient and do this the right way then they should not be scared to move veteran prices. Build through the draft? More draft picks should be a priority, right?

The last four years of the twins set our rebuild back, mm " four years".

5 hours ago, DrJockitch said:

It bothers me when I see all these posts saying the rebuild is almost done.  We still are lacking the two hardest pieces to get, a number one centre and a number one D man (and quite probably a number 2 D man that isn't close to or well above 30).  

Far from it, maybe just starting, maybe year one of five.

Getting more 1rst round picks, that have a better chance of making the NHL, should be the goal not even contemplating trading away the #7 pick for a young player another team wants to shed. A win, win deal, OJ for Hanifin.

I hope they beware Boqvist at 7, he had 2 concussions this year, the effects just keep multiplying, the next one is always worse to the point that there is no "mild" left. He just doesn't have the size, so far, to avoid jarring impacts.  

4 hours ago, ForsbergTheGreat said:

“Not for me,” he said. “The foundation of your team is built through the draft. I think we have to recognize where we are and be prudent and patient and not get ahead of ourselves.”

To anyone who argued with me when I said those exact same words.  

https://goo.gl/images/M4645v

The draft cannot be the only source of players, skillful trades are necessary. Many teams made impact trades that won them a cup.

If the team is hoping to get the foundation through the draft they will have to trade existing assets for draft picks, not trade draft picks for questionable assets in return.

Archived