The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

2 minutes ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Burkie’s quote is just begging for a Hazel Mae joke, but I don’t really want to end up part of a lawsuit. :ph34r:

Hazel Mae could crush Madden with one hip check...

Madden legs look right for someone who is almost 6' and 150 Lbs.,...The Mini Mighty Quinn is 5' 7" and "maybe" 170 Lbs ( I know he is supposed to be taller ...but , really doesn't pass the eye test up against Green).,....I would expect to see some calf's of some sort on QH...

7 hours ago, redhdlois said:

I believe he wore 16 in college in honour of his friend but that number wasn’t available so he went with 6 which also had meaning as mentioned his Dad wore it. 

I say Quinn goes with 43. 

Wasn't #6 Dennis Keirns old number? 

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

Hazel Mae could crush Madden with one hip check...

Madden legs look right for someone who is almost 6' and 150 Lbs.,...The Mini Mighty Quinn is 5' 7" and "maybe" 170 Lbs ( I know he is supposed to be taller ...but , really doesn't pass the eye test up against Green).,....I would expect to see some calf's of some sort on QH...

Using a photo to figure out how tall someone is inaccurate.  Besides, Green is 6'2; he would tower over anyone under 6'.  Every site I've seen, he is registered at 5'10.  His weight ranges from 168-174 lbs, but that can fluctuate easily.

34 minutes ago, higgyfan said:

Using a photo to figure out how tall someone is inaccurate.  Besides, Green is 6'2; he would tower over anyone under 6'.  Every site I've seen, he is registered at 5'10.  His weight ranges from 168-174 lbs, but that can fluctuate easily.

Quinn did not take part in the combine, including measurements. He truly does appear 5’8 165 tops, but it’s irrelevant. He’s a magician at his current size, and would be even if he grew a few inches and gained 10-15 lbs. 

7 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

No doubt. Consensus rankings say that Q has an elite level shoe game. Ty Madden’s looking more C-grade right now. But hey, Judd Brackett said part of the reason the Canucks like Son of Mad Dog is that he has room to grow. ;) 

If they like him because he has room to grow, they must just love Arty. :lol:

• Haha 1

On 2018-06-28 at 10:08 AM, Dats hockey said:

Just curious, where do people rank our prospect pool after this draft? Gotta be atleast Top 5 in the League right?

Our prospect pool has never been this loaded with so many great prospects. They  each bring few certain attributes that will be invaluable few years from now as we contend for the playoffs and compete for the cup. 

We have scored on special talents in Boeser, Pettersson, and now Hughes. These are the game breakers, players that will always change the dynamic of the game  with their play. They possess abilities like elite shots, play making, and skating(in the broad sense of the term). Each of these players still have many years to round out their games.

Very close behind, we have Horvat & Virtanen who can dominate in their own way at their prime. Horvat  brings his truculence and his shutdown prowess(still developing), plus his ability to chip in offensively. Virtanen will provide his forchecking, closing down players and provide constant energy.

Then mix in Stecher, and Juolevi who are both smooth skating, puck moving d men. Along with Tryamkin who brings that physical presence. Hutton could also become a puck moving d man with a physical presence. Then we have all the other options in our d prospect pool like Chatfield, Brisebois, Gunnarsson, Rathbone, Woo, Utunen.

We have other types of players that contribute to our newly established depth. Goldobin, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Madden, Zhukenov, Lockwood. 

Probably forgetting some names. But right there we have some legit talent to be excited about.  

Part of the reason I think they went with Madden instead of Wise is they wanted someone that would embrace the bottoms 6 role.  Look at the centres we have Horvat, Gaudette and Sutter with Pettersson being groomed for the top line as center.  Jake Wise IMO would have struggled as a 4th line plugger whereas Ty Maddens dad has been grooming him to be tough as nails just like he was.  I think Ty will embrace the 4th line just like his dad did. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Setyoureyesontheprize said:

Our prospect pool has never been this loaded with so many great prospects. They  each bring few certain attributes that will be invaluable few years from now as we contend for the playoffs and compete for the cup. 

We have scored on special talents in Boeser, Pettersson, and now Hughes. These are the game breakers, players that will always change the dynamic of the game  with their play. They possess abilities like elite shots, play making, and skating(in the broad sense of the term). Each of these players still have many years to round out their games.

Very close behind, we have Horvat & Virtanen who can dominate in their own way at their prime. Horvat  brings his truculence and his shutdown prowess(still developing), plus his ability to chip in offensively. Virtanen will provide his forchecking, closing down players and provide constant energy.

Then mix in Stecher, and Juolevi who are both smooth skating, puck moving d men. Along with Tryamkin who brings that physical presence. Hutton could also become a puck moving d man with a physical presence. Then we have all the other options in our d prospect pool like Chatfield, Brisebois, Gunnarsson, Rathbone, Woo, Utunen.

We have other types of players that contribute to our newly established depth. Goldobin, Dahlen, Lind, Gadjovich, Palmu, Madden, Zhukenov, Lockwood. 

Probably forgetting some names. But right there we have some legit talent to be excited about.  

They were ranked 1st according to Craig Buttons list that had 5 Canucks in the top 50 and that was without Lind.  You add Hughes and Woo to the players we already have like Gaudette, Pettersson, Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen.  With Lind, DiPieteo and Gadjovich I’d say we’d be pretty tough to beat.  

Edited by Pure961089
  • Upvote 2

2 minutes ago, Pure961089 said:

I was ranked 1st according to Craig Buttons list that had 5 Canucks in the top 50 and that was without Lind.  You add Hughes and Woo to the players we already have like Gaudette, Pettersson, Juolevi, Demko and Dahlen.  With Lind and Gadjovich I’d say we’d be pretty tough to beat.  

Exactly; It’s time to just enjoy the ride and watch our prospects grow into a team with legitimate Stanley cup aspirations for many years.

22 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Just listened to a clip of Jim Hughes, the father of Quinn Hughes on Sportsnet 650. And all I can say is Daaaaaammmnnnn.  The father has been training his kids like Navy Seals since they were 14.  They payed all the sports and excelled at everything,  Quinn and Jack have been preparing for this since they were friggn born.   He had both boys in the cross country, “line up 250 kids and they’d go into the woods and there’d be winners. The worse the weather the better for my kids, If it was cold great better for my kids, if it was muddy even better for the Hughes kids”. - Jim Hughes.  The interview went on like this . It was almost scary lol.  Great Insight into the Hughes Family.  Hockey is there life.  They’ve been training their kids since they could walk.    http://pmd.sportsnet650.ca/audio_on_demand/jim-hughes-with-hosts-tsl-20180629-Interview.mp3

reminiscent of Bure

3 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Part of the reason I think they went with Madden instead of Wise is they wanted someone that would embrace the bottoms 6 role.  Look at the centres we have Horvat, Gaudette and Sutter with Pettersson being groomed for the top line as center.  Jake Wise IMO would have struggled as a 4th line plugger whereas Ty Maddens dad has been grooming him to be tough as nails just like he was.  I think Ty will embrace the 4th line just like his dad did. 

The point of the draft is to find NHLers regardless of where they play in the lineup. A 3rd round pick as a bottom 6 player, that's perfectly fine. Wise may be more offensively talented, but he could be one of those players that just aren't good enough to crack a top 6 and don't have the attributes to play bottom 6, eg Linden Vey, Kyle Wellwood, etc.

• Cheers 1

17 hours ago, Pure961089 said:

Yeah Can’t quite put my finger on it but something tells me those aren’t Quinn’s legs.  Call it a hunch

It’s Pettersson?  Can’t quite place those legs. That’s a small body gentlemen. 

Burke doing his best version of Fat Bastard... they cut his mic before he could yell “get in my belly!”

Edited by Eastcoast meets Westcoast
  • Haha 4