The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Quinn Hughes | #43 | D

-Vintage Canuck-

36 minutes ago, tas said:

has anyone discussed the way quinn seems to skate around with the toe of his blade pointed at the ice when he doesn't have the puck? I noticed that at the prospect camp and in other clips, and I don't remember ever seeing another player that does the same thing. 

any theories?

I've noticed this too, probably just his style, didnt think much of it. Usually when a player has his toe pointed towards the ice it kinda means he wants the puck to be left for him but that's when he's facing the direction of the puck. but yeah probably just a trait of his. I see him do this a lot when he's backchecking

8 minutes ago, Bovechkin said:

Whoah how did you insert emojis? Do share :):):) 

right here

Edited by Odd.
  • Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Odd. said:

I've noticed this too, probably just his style, didnt think much of it. Usually when a player has his toe pointed towards the ice it kinda means he wants the puck to be left for him but that's when he's facing the direction of the puck. but yeah probably just a trait of his. I see him do this a lot when he's backchecking

right here

I'm wondering if this is something that will be coached out of him at the pro level, since, theoretically at least, it makes him less prepared to receive a pass. 

11 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm wondering if this is something that will be coached out of him at the pro level, since, theoretically at least, it makes him less prepared to receive a pass. 

I've seen him do this a lot when he's backchecking or defending, I haven't seen him do that while he or his team having possession. a lot of people do that, mainly for pokechecking, covering lanes, flexibility etc etc. Also it's less awkward than holding your stick like a lumberjack (Gaunce).

Edited by Odd.

On ‎2018‎-‎08‎-‎20 at 3:36 PM, tas said:

My hope is that they don't coach him out of anything at the pro level. If he's going to be a transformational player at his position (a stretch, I know) I say its best just to let him play the same game he's always played it with all the mannerisms, ticks and raw skill that have allowed him to dominate against his peers until now. Do you really think anybody "coached" Gretzky or Orr or Lemieux ? 

• Wat 1

46 minutes ago, zimmy said:

My hope is that they don't coach him out of anything at the pro level. If he's going to be a transformational player at his position (a stretch, I know) I say its best just to let him play the same game he's always played it with all the mannerisms, ticks and raw skill that have allowed him to dominate against his peers until now. Do you really think anybody "coached" Gretzky or Orr or Lemieux ? 

I'm not saying I think it SHOULD be coached out of him.  

comparing the kid to the 3 best players in the 100+ year history of the game ... seems reasonable. 

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, tas said:

I'm not saying I think it SHOULD be coached out of him.  

comparing the kid to the 3 best players in the 100+ year history of the game ... seems reasonable. 

you simply triggered my long held distrust of "over" coaching in any sport, that's all!

As for my hyperbole, I'll only remind you that I tempered my entire premise by calling it a stretch.

By the way, by any loose or firm definition of a transformational performer, I do indeed hold that QH is the closest thing we have had to a potential game changer on the blueline forever if not ever. That may not seem reasonable to you but its not a crime to dream!

cheers! (Crackin' a cold one as I type)

• Cheers 1

38 minutes ago, CanuckGAME said:

Lol what a mistake entering this thread was.

See you in October.

Kinda thought we were back on track here. Sorry.

Don’t strain yourself trying to raise the level of discourse or anything like that.

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, zimmy said:

And how close was Brock in 2017? Amazing indeed and unprecedented.

I love what we are doing with the US college scouting. Gradin always did a good job with European scouting. Hopefully our Canadian junior scouting starts landing. Hopefully one or two of Dipietro, Woo, Lind and Gadjovich pan out. 

Quinn will be allowed a long rope, pair him a defensive minded partner . Let him be creative , let him wheel . He will adjust to the game. Most importantly he needs to have the room to make mistakes and feel safe doing so. Who cares if he is a minus as long as he drives the play. Paul Coffey  made plenty of mistakes and was one of the all time best offensive d-men .

Edited by vannuck59
bad grammer

7 minutes ago, vannuck59 said:

Quinn will be allowed a long rope, pair him a defensive minded partner . Let him be creative , let him wheel . He will adjust to the game. Most importantly he needs to have the room to make mistakes and feel safe doing so. Who cares if he is a minus as long as he drives the play. Paul Coffey  made plenty of mistakes and was one of the all time best offensive d-men .

I agree, and I figure this is what will happen.  But with all the talk of trading Tanev, I fear we simply don't have anyone else in the system who would be the security net that is required to allow Quinn to run amok.  Stecher?