The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Tyler Madden | C

Tomato Pajamas

5 hours ago, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Draft scouting said Ryan Callahan was a comparable. From a Canucks perspective, names like Kesler and Higgins have been throw around. And he’s stepped in at NU as Gaudette’s replacement (and filled those very big shoes quite admirably).

Basically he’s a really talented kid with a very complete game, loads of intangibles, and a ton of upside. He’s a true #1C at the college level, capable of playing in all situations, and logging heavy minutes. His best assets are his speed, his ability to handle the puck at speed, his drive and motor, grit and intensity, a refined defensive game, and some really good vision and offensive instincts. I know that ends up sounding like he’s just good at everything, but in a way, that’s exactly what he is. Just really solid all around, with the only weakness being his size (he’s only 5’11” and 150 lbs). But he’s going to fill out and get a lot stronger.

I think he projects as a bottom-9 forward, likely a #3C at the NHL level, but without a cap on his ultimate upside. He’s blown past even the most optimistic expectations for his freshman year in the NCAA. Right now, he’s putting up Johnny Gaudreau level numbers in his rookie season in college. So it’ll be up to Madden to show us what his ceiling actually is.

Since we're probably pretty much set at center with EP, Bo and Gaudette, do you think his game would transfer well to the wing?

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Since we're probably pretty much set at center with EP, Bo and Gaudette, do you think his game would transfer well to the wing?

29 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

Madden played wing at the WJC, and looked great.  

• Upvote 1

18 hours ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

There's no guarantee we keep all three of those guys 3+ years from now as their salaries increase.

If Madden can come in and replace some of that at a lower cap hit, all while allowing us to flip another guy to fill another hole, or for futures to keep cycling through...

On 1/20/2019 at 12:11 AM, SID.IS.SID.ME.IS.ME said:

Was just thinking, had Ty Madden been picked #18 overall instead of #68 overall, how would we rate his progress this season?

Meeting expectations? Exceeding expectations? Certainly not below expectations.

Kid is performing like a first round pick this year. Like a very good first round pick, in fact. Between his college season and the WJC, he’s been one of the more impressive American born players from the 2018 draft class (and that includes several of the kids that were actually picked in the first round).

I said, during the WJHC, that Wahlstrom and madden looked like they had switched draft positions.

• Haha 1

58 minutes ago, aGENT said:

There's no guarantee we keep all three of those guys 3+ years from now as their salaries increase.

If Madden can come in and replace some of that at a lower cap hit, all while allowing us to flip another guy to fill another hole, or for futures to keep cycling through...

In addition to us being set in the position, it's difficult for me to see someone of Madden's size making it as a center in the NHL.

Yeah, I know....Pettersson. But that would give us two pretty slight centers going forward. I really do think that if Madden makes it, it'll be on the wing. He might be better served on the wing as well. If he stays at center, he's always going to have somewhat of an offensive ceiling playing behind Petey and Bo. If he plays the wing, that could put him in a top 6 position.

• Upvote 1

4 hours ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

That's what we have been missing...over the top celebrations...and for good reason...!

Madden is looking like his dad 2.0 ...at least, in a couple years this team is going to brimming over with talent and tenacity...!

Just needs to bulk up a little. If we're patient and don't try and rush him to the NHL, we're going to have a really good player here in a few years.

20 hours ago, messier's_elbow said:

The hype is getting a bit out of hand. I heard someone say he’s the next Gaudrau... having said that, he’s on about as good a trajectory as a 3rd round pick can be on honestly. Amazing pick by Benning and company. 

Gaudreau isn't a terrible comparable in some ways.  Both a point per game in their rookie seasons in H-East.  It could be argued that Gaudreau had better line support in his first year.  Style's not entirely a match.  Also, Gaudette was only around 0.75ppg his rookie campaign, so for a 3rd rounder he's doing great.  Gaudreau was a very surprising 4th rounder.  Here's hoping Madden can be as good for a 3rd rounder.

1 minute ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

In addition to us being set in the position, it's difficult for me to see someone of Madden's size making it as a center in the NHL.

Yeah, I know....Pettersson. But that would give us two pretty slight centers going forward. I really do think that if Madden makes it, it'll be on the wing. He might be better served on the wing as well. If he stays at center, he's always going to have somewhat of an offensive ceiling playing behind Petey and Bo. If he plays the wing, that could put him in a top 6 position.

Absolutely. Though I'd imagine he'll be 180-190+ in his prime. Him or Gaudette could move to W really.

Just saying that at some point, when push comes to shove on contracts, it's unlikely everyone stays. We've probably got  the 5 years of Horvat's extension before we start having to make hard choices though.

Just now, aGENT said:

Absolutely. Though I'd imagine he'll be 180-190+ in his prime. Him or Gaudette could move to W really.

Just saying that at some point, when push comes to shove on contracts, it's unlikely everyone stays. We've probably got  the 5 years of Horvat's extension before we start having to make hard choices though.

That's a way down the line though, and I imagine that Madden will be knocking on the NHL door by the start of the 2020 season, by which point our 3 Cs will be pretty well established. I'd just hate to see him stuck on the 4th line.

All questions for later I suppose.

• Cheers 1

Just now, 48MPHSlapShot said:

That's a way down the line though, and I imagine that Madden will be knocking on the NHL door by the start of the 2020 season, by which point our 3 Cs will be pretty well established. I'd just hate to see him stuck on the 4th line.

All questions for later I suppose.

Yeah, no need to worry about that today. And yes, I agree, some of Gaudette/Madden etc will likely be pushed to W.

• Upvote 1

Just now, aGENT said:

Yeah, no need to worry about that today. And yes, I agree, some of Gaudette/Madden etc will likely be pushed to W.

I'm actually interested to see what Gaudette could do on Horvat's wing. Gaudette seems pretty much NHL ready to me, and his play in Utica indicates as much. As long as we have both Sutter and Beagle to fill in the 3 and 4 C slots, I think it's worth a look. 

4 minutes ago, 48MPHSlapShot said:

I'm actually interested to see what Gaudette could do on Horvat's wing. Gaudette seems pretty much NHL ready to me, and his play in Utica indicates as much. As long as we have both Sutter and Beagle to fill in the 3 and 4 C slots, I think it's worth a look. 

Yeah, might take some time for him and Virtanen to get up to 2nd line level consistently but I happen to think Virtanen, Horvat, Gaudette could be a HELL of a 2nd line for us down the line. 

50 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Yeah, might take some time for him and Virtanen to get up to 2nd line level consistently but I happen to think Virtanen, Horvat, Gaudette could be a HELL of a 2nd line for us down the line. 

I think Gaudette is going to make a great 3C for us so would hate to see him switch to the wing. I can see Virtanen on Petey's wing in the future once he develops more of his overall game.

Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen

Goldy/Baer/2019pick-Horvat-Boeser

MacEwen-Gaudette-Lind

• Wat 2
  • Upvote 1

2 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

I think Gaudette is going to make a great 3C for us so would hate to see him switch to the wing. I can see Virtanen on Petey's wing in the future once he develops more of his overall game.

Dahlen-Petey-Virtanen

Goldy/Baer/2019pick-Horvat-Boeser

MacEwen-Gaudette-Lind

Come on....

While we all hope Virtanen keeps getting better it is clear that Boeser will stay with Petey. 

Haha....good god.

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1
  • Wat 1