The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Entry Draft in Vancouver, BC

Qwags

22 minutes ago, stawns said:

personally, I don't think the order of the top two is a done deal.  I wish Hughes was healthy for the WJHC because Kakko was significantly better, but it's impossible to judge because JH was injured.

Ya I agree, they could go either way but they will both be in the top 2.

As much as many people wanted more picks this year, given the timeline of team development, I think it’s next year that we may see a jump in picks.

If we sign a player like Myers, and Hughes and Juolevi show they are ready (and with guys guy Sautner and Brisbois showing they are almost ready to be full timers as well), add in a potential Tryamkin return and we have way too many dmen.

Tanev will be a UFA after next year, pray he stays healthy and plays well and we should get the first rounder we’ve been wanting.

Sutter is redundant, he will be moved as Gaudette cements himself as our 3c. Again a “potential” first depending on desperation of other contenders. At worst a second and prospect.

Then you have a bunch of depth players that could be moved for mid to late picks - Granlund, Goldy if he’s still not consistent, Maybe Schaller finds his game enough to be moved for a late pick, etc etc.

The only issue is, if we are in the playoffs or close JB seems to love keeping the vets around. Next year is the exact time to manage declining assets as our young guys “should” be showing they are ready.

In my view, if we’re in playoff contention, it’s better to let the young guys win or lose at that point and learn, than think you need the “vets for a run”. You need vets when you’re close, not when you’re just “learning”  in the playoffs. There’s a point where JB is going to have to take the training wheels off and that time is next year imho.

I hope to see JB be smart with at least Tanev and Sutter next deadline. He’s got to learn from his mistakes and sell high. 

Edited by 40Dangles
  • Upvote 1

Tyler Myers sucks. He brings the same qualities that we just shipped out with Gudbranson. Poor skater, has difficulty keeping up with the fast puck movement of skilled players and takes dumb penalties when he is caught out of position. He is physical which could land him a spot as a bottom pairing guy on a team but most teams will not want to pay much for that. We get the same qualities that he brings from Luke Schenn except for much cheaper. If we are going to spend money for a free agent defence man it should be for someone who brings a quality that is difficult to find such as skating and offence. Only defence man I would go for is Erik Karlsson. 

2 hours ago, 40Dangles said:

As much as many people wanted more picks this year, given the timeline of team development, I think it’s next year that we may see a jump in picks.

If we sign a player like Myers, and Hughes and Juolevi show they are ready (and with guys guy Sautner and Brisbois showing they are almost ready to be full timers as well), add in a potential Tryamkin return and we have way too many dmen.

Tanev will be a UFA after next year, pray he stays healthy and plays well and we should get the first rounder we’ve been wanting.

Sutter is redundant, he will be moved as Gaudette cements himself as our 3c. Again a “potential” first depending on desperation of other contenders. At worst a second and prospect.

Then you have a bunch of depth players that could be moved for mid to late picks - Granlund, Goldy if he’s still not consistent, Maybe Schaller finds his game enough to be moved for a late pick, etc etc.

The only issue is, if we are in the playoffs or close JB seems to love keeping the vets around. Next year is the exact time to manage declining assets as our young guys “should” be showing they are ready.

In my view, if we’re in playoff contention, it’s better to let the young guys win or lose at that point and learn, than think you need the “vets for a run”. You need vets when you’re close, not when you’re just “learning”  in the playoffs. There’s a point where JB is going to have to take the training wheels off and that time is next year imho.

I hope to see JB be smart with at least Tanev and Sutter next deadline. He’s got to learn from his mistakes and sell high. 

We’ll make the playoffs that year and sell nobody :p! Then Tanev will walk in free agency and we’ll all think back to two years ago when we should have made those rebuilding trades.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, RetroCanuck said:

Shaping up to be a very interesting draft. Clear consensus top 2 but after that its basically wide open until the 15ish range

I do think there's 2 tiers between Hughes/Kakko & that 15ish range but definitely alot of room for variance. This is looking to be a pretty decent draft.

I wish we had another pick around the middle of the 1st. With that variance, there's alot of potential to get a really good player there that maybe slides a bit. 

1 hour ago, Smashian Kassian said:

I do think there's 2 tiers between Hughes/Kakko & that 15ish range but definitely alot of room for variance. This is looking to be a pretty decent draft.

I wish we had another pick around the middle of the 1st. With that variance, there's alot of potential to get a really good player there that maybe slides a bit. 

Imagine if we had another 1st rounder in even one more of Benning's years besides 2014. Last year it could've gotten us Smith/Kupari/Farabee, the year before that Brannstrom/Valimaki/Foote/Vaakanainen or McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro the year before that. Imagine how much better we'd be looking if we took even one of those guys. 

Edited by Horvat is a Boss
  • Upvote 2

10 hours ago, Horvat is a Boss said:

Imagine if we had another 1st rounder in even one more of Benning's years besides 2014. Last year it could've gotten us Smith/Kupari/Farabee, the year before that Brannstrom/Valimaki/Foote/Vaakanainen or McAvoy/Chychrun/Fabbro the year before that. Imagine how much better we'd be looking if we took even one of those guys. 

Even second round picks in those years would have been nice. I really think there's been a significant increase in the amount of legitimate NHL talent available since the game has grown all over the world. The CHL is doing its thing as always. So is Sweden and Russia. Finland has really taken it up a notch. The USNTDP has been fantastic in recent years.

It's possible that 2 Germans will be drafted in the first round in back to back years, Dominic Bokk last year and possibly Moritz Seider. Leon Draisaitl was just drafted 5 years ago. Before him was Marcel Goc in 2001. Who would have thought. 

Since 2014, a bunch of second round picks are already playing or are at least bubble players. Thatcher Demko, Brendan Lemieux, Brandon Montour, Christian Dvorak from 2014. Brayden Point drafted in the third round. From 2015, Sebastian Aho (the steal of the draft IMO), Travis Dermott, Brandon Carlo, and Rasmus Andersson. 2016 is too soon to call but Carter Hart is already phenomenal.  

The chances of getting an impact player in the second round is increasing. 

Edited by OneSeventeen
  • Upvote 2

While I don't think a top three pick is in the cards for us this year, my hope is to find our way into the top six and hope Byrom is still on the board.

Seeing Hughes and Byrom as our top two left defensemen would really solidify that side. Hughes, Byrom, Juolevi is great look moving forward, provided Olli can avoid injury in the future.

Also hoping to see Korczak available for our second pick. While not as offensively skilled as Hughes or Byrom, he still puts up decent points and would provide a physical presence on the blueline, providing great balance to our d core.

Hughes          Woo

Byrom            Korczak

Juolevi           Stetcher

Imo, that would be a pretty enviable blueline.

3 minutes ago, komodo0921 said:

While I don't think a top three pick is in the cards for us this year, my hope is to find our way into the top six and hope Byrom is still on the board.

Seeing Hughes and Byrom as our top two left defensemen would really solidify that side. Hughes, Byrom, Juolevi is great look moving forward, provided Olli can avoid injury in the future.

Also hoping to see Korczak available for our second pick. While not as offensively skilled as Hughes or Byrom, he still puts up decent points and would provide a physical presence on the blueline, providing great balance to our d core.

Hughes          Woo

Byrom            Korczak

Juolevi           Stetcher

Imo, that would be a pretty enviable blueline.

Byram

I agree if Byram is available we can't pass on him but if he's gone by the time we are at the podium getting a strong top 6 winger would be important. Boldy, podkolzin, Krebs, even Cozens can slot in in the side. There will be some good options come draft Day.

1 minute ago, cyoung said:

Byram

I agree if Byram is available we can't pass on him but if he's gone by the time we are at the podium getting a strong top 6 winger would be important. Boldy, podkolzin, Krebs, even Cozens can slot in in the side. There will be some good options come draft Day.

If we go forward, I really like Boldy. 

Scouting reports are pretty gushy over this kid's all-around game. LW with pro size, high hockey IQ, has off the chart skills and plays all 200 ft of the ice. Sounds like a Benning player all the way.

• Upvote 1

2019 NHL Draft Lottery Simulator

SIM LOTTERY

RESET

PICKTEAMGPRECORDPTSPPGROWSTREAKL10TOP 3#1 OVR

Vancouver

6427-28-9630.98424Lost 13-4-320.4%6.5%2

Anaheim

6424-31-9570.89121Lost 43-7-028.8%9.5%3

NY Rangers

6327-26-10641.01621Lost 24-4-216.0%5.0%4

Ottawa

COL 

6322-36-5490.77822Lost 53-7-049.4%18.5%5

Los Angeles

6323-33-7530.84121Lost 91-6-338.8%13.5%6

Detroit

6423-32-9550.85921Lost 62-6-233.9%11.5%7

New Jersey

6425-31-8580.90624Lost 15-5-026.1%8.5%8

Edmonton

6326-30-7590.93623Lost 23-5-223.3%7.5%9

Chicago

6427-28-9630.98426Won 16-4-019.0%6.0%10 

Arizona

6330-28-5651.03226Won 47-3-011.4%3.5%11 

Buffalo

6329-26-8661.04825Lost 23-6-19.8%3.0%12 

Florida

6228-25-9651.04825Lost 16-3-18.2%2.5%13 

Colorado

6428-24-12681.06227Won 16-2-26.6%2.0%14 

Philadelphia

6330-26-7671.06428Won 26-3-15.0%1.5%15 

Montreal

6434-23-7751.17232Won 14-5-13.3%1.0%

One can only hope.

Considering that the Canucks management and especially Judd Brackett really like players coming out of the United States Developmental Program or the USHL, wonder if they dip back into there for their first pick.

Considering that they have had some major successes from players going down the NCAA route, wonder if they heavily slant their drafting there from here on end.  Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone, Thiessen, Demko all NCAA products who are now on the roster, making huge strides in college or on their way here.

Benning's tenure has had a real tough go with CHL prospects, and if anyone remembers, Judd Brackett said that they really like the NCAA as a place for prospects to mature there game before either making the jump into the NHL or AHL.  

If I were to venture a guess, at forward they are looking at Zegras, Turcotte, or Boldy.  Defense perhaps a pair of European Dman Lassi Thomson and Victor Soderstrom.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

2 hours ago, CRAZY_4_NAZZY said:

Considering that the Canucks management and especially Judd Brackett really like players coming out of the United States Developmental Program or the USHL, wonder if they dip back into there for their first pick.

Considering that they have had some major successes from players going down the NCAA route, wonder if they heavily slant their drafting there from here on end.  Boeser, Gaudette, Hughes, Madden, Lockwood, Rathbone, Thiessen, Demko all NCAA products who are now on the roster, making huge strides in college or on their way here.

Benning's tenure has had a real tough go with CHL prospects, and if anyone remembers, Judd Brackett said that they really like the NCAA as a place for prospects to mature there game before either making the jump into the NHL or AHL.  

If I were to venture a guess, at forward they are looking at Zegras, Turcotte, or Boldy.  Defense perhaps a pair of European Dman Lassi Thomson and Victor Soderstrom.

Depending on where they finish in the standings/any luck in the lottery. I can see them trying hard to land the 1st pick. Draft being in VAN and also having opportunity to draft Quinn's bro. 

• Wat 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Outsiders said:

Depending on where they finish in the standings/any luck in the lottery. I can see them trying hard to land the 1st pick. Draft being in VAN and also having opportunity to draft Quinn's bro. 

Highly unlikely. This year's draft is deep for the top 10-15 draft positions. Jim Benning is going to stay put if their draft position is within that range. 

Besides,  Alexis Lafrenière is a better fit for Vancouver as he is a LW, a perfect fit for Pettersson and Boeser. He is also bigger, more physical and plays better D than Jack Hughes. Jim Benning might as well  swing for him in 2020. 

Edited by Maddogy
  • Like 1

If we don't get into the top 2, I would love for us to get Byram. I heard some speculation on 1040 a couple of days ago about hughes being able to switch and play the right side because of his style of play.

Byram - Hughes

Hutton - Stetch

Oli - Woo

One can dream, right?

10 hours ago, Outsiders said:

ZERO chance the Canucks get the 1st overall pick unless they get lucky in the lottery.

ZERO chance. JB will not trade away out best players just to get the 1st overall pick.