The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

HHOF Class of 2018: Martin Brodeur, Martin St. Louis, Alexander Yakushev, Jayna Hefford, Willie O'Ree, Gary Bettman

1 minute ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Walker on 650 last night said that Vancouver fans should cheer Bettman at the next draft.

I'm like...huh?

Booing him has jumped the shark. Actually booing in general has jumped the shark. It's so lame.

I think Bettman would be far more appreciated by the fans if he didn't perpetually come off as such an arrogant, deceitful little snake.

He is so lacking in charisma and public speaking abilities, that sadly, his many contributions to the sport are often ignored.

For those of you who think Bettman is bad, you would've loved the league "presidents" when 4 guys owned everything.  Those chaps were some real beauties.

15 minutes ago, Tre Mac said:

You cannot possible think that Bettman has been good for the game or the league would've folded without him.  Think about that next time you fork $150 bucks for a seat at Rogers while a Panther fan pays $20 to see their team.

It's the same reason why a Cubs fans pays way more than a Marlins fan, or a Lakers fan pays way more than a Pacers fan, or why a Patriots fan pays way more than a Dolphins fan...

....and believe it or not, it's has nothing to do with Gary Bettman.

3-peat. Never has there been a commissioner that has achieved the 3-peat. 

With Bettman, it's almost automatic. If there is CBA expiration, there will be a lockout following.

But I gotta say, he looks after the owners wallets' very attentively. Good minion that is doing a very good job for his evil bosses.

12 minutes ago, Ghostsof1915 said:

Walker on 650 last night said that Vancouver fans should cheer Bettman at the next draft.

I'm like...huh?

If this happened, we would once again become the most hated team in hockey. Not only that, we will be the joke of the league.

Please no.

Bettman as a builder sure...but he doesn't belong in until he's retired.

Slap in the face to the memory of a guy like Burns who did so much and died before being skipped over again and again before he got his berth in the hall

1 hour ago, -AJ- said:

Neat to see a USSR player get in. While I think St. Louis was good enough to eventually get in, I think he is a stretch for a first timer into the Hall. Bettman is conflicting. There's no doubt that he's done a ton for the NHL and has been the commissioner for a dang long time (25 years). He's the first any only NHL Commissioner. Back when the title was the NHL President, Frank Calder lasted the first 26 years of the NHL's history and Clarence Campbell lasted 31 years. It'll be interesting to see if Bettman can outlast them.

Still, he's not been the kindest to Canadian franchises other than the return of Winnipeg's franchise a few years ago.

It could have waited until he retired. 

It definitely should have waited until he was retired but there is no denying that Bettman deserves the honor. We love to hate him especially here in Canada but he hasdone a lot to build the nhl brand.

I also think Canadian franchises are mostly responsible for their own fate, usually because they are impatient and refuse to rebuild the right way. We choose to blame Bettman for their futility in winning cups but really Canadian teams fans probably more directly impact that traditional impatience and lack of cup wins than Bettman or the league or refs etc does.

Unpopular opinion probably but so very true imo.

We, as fans generally hate Bettman... but the owners love him.  Why?  Because love him or hate him, the NHL revenues have skyrocketed since he has been commissioner.  Congratulations Bettman... boooooooooooooooo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 hours ago, Twilight Sparkle said:

like bettman or not, without him, this league probably would have folded YEARS ago. the nhl is actually kind of relevant. good for him

as much as I want to disagree with you, I actually agree. Bettman has done a terrific job. The managers sure love him!. 

Archived