The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Discussion] Does Jack Hughes create a logjam at center?

Bo Horvat seems to be panning out to be a top-notch second line shutdown center with great offensive upside. Elias Pettersson has the skill to be a premier playmaker on the first line ( personally, I see Nicklas Backstrom in his prime - but that's irrelevant right now). My question is what happens if the Canucks end up winning the lottery and selecting Jack Hughes, a player who is seemingly a lock to be an absolute stud.

Jack Hughes

Elias Pettersson

Bo Horvat

Adam Gaudette

Ideally, I think, this is what Canucks fans would like to see, and obviously, with a duo like Crosby/Malkin, it can happen. But perhaps Pettersson wants to be a #1? Are Horvat and Gaudette going to be okay with ice time that is below their potential?

While there is absolutely no doubt that Jack Hughes gets picked 1st overall, and the Canucks would 100% take him if they could, what does that mean for the future of the Canucks center core?

With the Canucks being a cellar dweller, not sure you can say there would be a logjam anywhere. We're not good enough for that. EP has yet to play a game, so who's to say he doesn't end up as a winger. Even if he does play the middle, we need improvement everywhere. We are not stacked enough at any position.

Jumping on the Hughes to Vancouver thing a bit early but, Pettersson as it stands now has had by far his most success in his career on the wing. Jack Hughes also could be a winger at the pro level. Jack Hughes gets compared to Patrick Kane a fair bit it seems. So I could see him possibly being a winger at the NHL level. It's never a bad thing to have too many centers. Cause now we can move either Pettersson or Hughes for a top notch D-man. Or even Bo can be moved for a D-man or whatever.

Good problem to have. Pettersson could always be moved back to wing or a trade could happen to make room for Jack.

Pettersson - J. Hughes - Boeser

Dahlen - Horvat - ________

_______ - Gaudette - ________

_______ - Madden/MacEwen - ________

Nice to dream. Summer is a little slow for hockey fans.

Getting Jack Hughes would give us too many centres. Perhaps we could 'con' the TML into giving us Kapanen and Gardiner for one of our 'big three' ( Hughes, Horvat, Pettersson ). Nah, we'd never get away with that !...........maybe if we add a 4th round pick and retain 50% !

no worries

the avs will make room for him

not really our worry

=================================

well if it is a worry..........

then i'm still struggling with whether crosby should start on our #1 line

ahead of mcdavid

simply because he plays a stronger game overall

bo seems capable at #3 center so let's just leave him there

j. hughes has a chance at #4 center if gaudette slips a bit

or beagle does not get healthy soon

I think the biggest problem would be trying to pay them all down the road. Hate to say it but the Canucks would probably need to unload a large salary or two (Horvat, Boeser, etc.) I'm assuming Jack and Quinn Hughes, Juolevi, Demko, Pettersson and maybe even Tryamkin will eventually be quite expensive.

1 hour ago, hammertime said:

Neither Jack nor Petersson strike me as NHL centers. 

Maybe.

Either one would probably make Bo and Gaudette 1C and 2C.

Pointless to worry about it.  The odds are never very good for Nucks to get a 1st overall anyways.

2 hours ago, AllCanucksAllTheTime said:

Bo Horvat seems to be panning out to be a top-notch second line shutdown center with great offensive upside. Elias Pettersson has the skill to be a premier playmaker on the first line ( personally, I see Nicklas Backstrom in his prime - but that's irrelevant right now). My question is what happens if the Canucks end up winning the lottery and selecting Jack Hughes, a player who is seemingly a lock to be an absolute stud.

Jack Hughes

Elias Pettersson

Bo Horvat

Adam Gaudette

Ideally, I think, this is what Canucks fans would like to see, and obviously, with a duo like Crosby/Malkin, it can happen. But perhaps Pettersson wants to be a #1? Are Horvat and Gaudette going to be okay with ice time that is below their potential?

While there is absolutely no doubt that Jack Hughes gets picked 1st overall, and the Canucks would 100% take him if they could, what does that mean for the future of the Canucks center core?

I am still wondering, and no one seems to be able to answer, who exactly will surrender their lottery pick to the Canucks so they have a shot at the other Hughes?

Archived