The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[Report] Tom Wilson suspended 20 games

Holy crap! A quarter season. That's steep.

I still call BS on the sham that is the DOPS as they would (and never have) never give their pet project Sharthand this steep of a suspension. He's a repeat, repeat offender who uses his size as an excuse for "defending" himself. Until the dopes at the DOPS show consistency throughout the league, suspension-wise, this is merely making an example of a role player.

How bad do you think the capitals are feeling about that contract they just signed him to? He is 110% marked for the rest of his career, any questionable hit will be prosecuted to the fullest extent. He is basically neutered.

Love it, love it, love it. These hits have no place in the game moving forward. For those arguing a regular hit will eventually go by the wayside? No, a harsh suspension for a dumb hit like this is what will keep hitting in the game by keeping the liability issues away. The NHL got this right. 

WOW...

OK now devils advocate here.  I rewatched the hit maybe 2-3 dozen times.  There was almost no way for Wilson to let up on a guy who wristed one off balance and admired it instead of keeping his eyes up.    The onus is on the players themselves to NOT put themselves in this situation.  I can see 5 games, maybe 10 but 20 is insane especially when weighed against so many other egregious hits that were essentially allowed by the DPS simply because "players need to keep themselves safe and not put themselves in those positions"

To start the season with such a monstrous suspension only means that they need to continue this kind of discipline throughout the year.  But then I can bet half of Methots finger on that not happening depending on who the culprit is

1 minute ago, DarkestThought said:

I'm going to miss the days when hockey had edge to it, the hit seemed fine with me, he was gliding and went for a standard hit, he was open and it wasn't very late, just the fact he looked like he was headhunting and came from a distance.. whatever.

I agree, guess it's the sign of the times.  He read that play perfectly, Blues player kept his head down and was oblivious to the opposition. 

And if Marchand did this I doubt he'd even get an in-person hearing.

Archived