The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Injury Report: 2018/19 Canucks

ftmN

32 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Bob McKenzie‏Verified account @TSNBobMcKenzie 1h1 hour ago

Mike Matheson’s disciplinary hearing with @NHLPlayerSafety was held at 10 a.m. today.

George Richards‏Verified account @GeorgeRichards 1h1 hour ago

George Richards Retweeted Bob McKenzie

And he was on the ice at 10:50

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 10m10 minutes ago

Hearing Mike Matheson did reach out to Elias Pettersson before his hearing with the NHL this morning.

4 minutes ago, Mackcanuck said:

Rick Dhaliwal‏ @DhaliwalSports 10m10 minutes ago

Hearing Mike Matheson did reach out to Elias Pettersson before his hearing with the NHL this morning.

Oh, Matheson's ankles have fixed themselves after being broken on the same play? Lucky guy.

You don't reach out, piece of ****. You get reached by someone who cleans your clock.

1 hour ago, brownky said:

Don't trust anybody. 

What benefit is there to trusting someone's word over someone else's? Who makes that initial determination over which all opinions are originally formed and then taught? And then who believes it to be true? 

Letters behind a name does not indicate intelligence. It indicates the ability to acquire letters behind a name. 

Believe it or not some people know more about some things than other people do.   If you were to have a heart issue would go see a cardiologist or your local green grocer ?

Seems like the NHL did not want to embarrass their incompetent refs by giving a suspension. If Wrestling is officially part of hockey now so I say bring on the cheezie commentary and be honest that the league is not a legitimate sport, only entertainment for those who don't care to look beyond the mirage. This is why I refuse to pay for center ice anymore. The league is a joke and that includes all teams.

5 minutes ago, BlastPast said:

Believe it or not some people know more about some things than other people do.   If you were to have a heart issue would go see a cardiologist or your local green grocer ?

I agree. But that's not really what I'm trying to say.

My point is, who is to say one cardiologist is more correct than another, or a third? Who do you 'trust' to be right?

The Canucks doctors say it's fine. Others I'm sure would recommend rest with minimal travel. Who is right?

Edit: Adding in, I would always examine 'who is providing this information, and why do they want me to believe it?' - this applies to politics, medicine, even sales flyers. Critical thinking is absolutely key. I suppose my post wasn't really leading to that conclusion at all and is more of a rambly rant from the morning.

3 hours ago, Down by the River said:

If Pettersson had a good night's sleep, he probably doesn't have a concussion. You have to be woken up like every two hours if you have a concussion. The fact that he flew the next morning is also evidence against a concussion. I'm cautiously optimistic that he'll play in Pittsburgh. 

EDIT: 

Image result for donald trump gif wrong

2 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Shouldn't be with the team and shouldn't have flown on an airplane so soon after the incident then. 

The more sleep and rest you get post-concussion the better. Demko shouldn't have flown after his concussion and now they made the same mistake with Pettersson. 

Dumb.

52 minutes ago, Duodenum said:

Don't need to trust me, trust the science. 

https://bjsm.bmj.com/content/48/7/639.1

Impact of Air Flight on Games Missed Post Concussion in NHL Players

Background Concussions(mTBI) occur at variable reported rates of 1–4 per 100 player games in the NHL. Hypoxia exacerbates neuronal death following mild TBI in animals and Oxygen deprivation leads to greater mitochondrial dysfunction in concussed brains. This study will evaluate the impact of mild hypoxia associated with airline travel on duration of concussion symptoms in NHL players.

Results 239 concussions occurred during the 3 study seasons of which 35 players were excluded for additional injuries or concussion lasted over the end of a season. 202/204 (99%) of NHL players with diagnosed concussions missed at least one game with a mean 9.2 games (SD +/- 9.6) missed. Those players that flew after suffering an mTBI missed 32.9% more games with: 10.5 (95% CI: 2.5–17.7) missed games and 26.5 days for those 99 NHL'ers (95% CI: 2.5–17.7) VS. 7.9 (95% CI: 0–16.5) games and 20.7 days for the 205 NHL'ers that did not fly; P<.01. Odds Ratio to miss games post concussion after air travel to no air travel: 3.8:1.

Discussion: This initial report of an increased rate of recovery in terms of nearly 1/3 more games missed, for professional athletes flying commercial airlines due to likely increased concussion penumbra and lack of brain rest following mTBI. Future studies should evaluate standard 48–72 hour post mTBI brain rest, without any air flight to abate the decreased oxygen tension suffered during pressurized cabin flight.

As a disclaimer, this is not a full study and shouldn't be taken as such. As an initial report, however, we can see a trend forming. 

43 minutes ago, 250Integra said:

Back against Boston to have him play against the rat? Last thing we want to for him is to get submarine'd. Even getting close to him would give him the flu of some sort.

He won't have to worry about anything like that, the league will protect him.

I know it says 7-10 days of non game action, but is there anything about practicing or stepping on the ice? I'm going to guess probably not so even if he misses the next 7-10 days of no ice skating, he probably still won't be game ready by then, and cleared for contact until he starts practicing with the team again. He'll probably be out longer than that before he can play a game again, my first reaction after the incident happened was minor concussion, didn't think he suffered a major one so that's good, but still believe he will be out longer then what they're saying.

29 minutes ago, ChuckNORRIS4Cup said:

I know it says 7-10 days of non game action, but is there anything about practicing or stepping on the ice? I'm going to guess probably not so even if he misses the next 7-10 days of no ice skating, he probably still won't be game ready by then, and cleared for contact until he starts practicing with the team again. He'll probably be out longer than that before he can play a game again, my first reaction after the incident happened was minor concussion, didn't think he suffered a major one so that's good, but still believe he will be out longer then what they're saying.

I highly doubt we see him until mid November. 

If they handle it right he will need all symptoms gone, exercise with no setbacks, non-contact practice with no setbacks, then cleared for contact practice with no setbacks.

They need to be very careful with him, as at 18 his brain is still developing and rushing him (as I understand it) could cause developmental issues.

3 minutes ago, InTheCrease said:

I highly doubt we see him until mid November. 

If they handle it right he will need all symptoms gone, exercise with no setbacks, non-contact practice with no setbacks, then cleared for contact practice with no setbacks.

They need to be very careful with him, as at 18 his brain is still developing and rushing him (as I understand it) could cause developmental issues.

Totally agree have to take this situation careful and don't rush it at all, and really no reason to rush him back this team isn't a contender yet, this kids future health is much more important.

But will add he's 19 and will be turning 20 next month!

1 hour ago, Rollieo Del Fuego said:

So....Matheson gets a fine or nothing at all...?

Sounds like the NHL is telling teams to take care of it themselves again...Bettman has got to go...!....it's going to be the dark ages again...

oh, only some teams

3 hours ago, Duodenum said:

Shouldn't be with the team and shouldn't have flown on an airplane so soon after the incident then. 

The more sleep and rest you get post-concussion the better. Demko shouldn't have flown after his concussion and now they made the same mistake with Pettersson. 

Dumb.

The team has a neutral doctor, they wouldn’t have allowed it if was serious.  Allowing him to fly is a good indicator that it wasn’t that serious, in the past he could be playing the next game, the rest is likely precautionary.  He is and will be given then best care available, the days of playing with head injuries are over, this is good news for us fans. 

5 minutes ago, Chip Kelly said:

According to Rick Dhaliwal, the only trusted source when it comes to Canucks related news, He expects "Petey" to be out 1-2 weeks or more depending on how he feels after being evaluated again in Vancouver.

So is he out indefinitely.

The concussion protocol is 7-10 days so he's basing it on that.

If he's symptom free after a week he can resume playing.

1 hour ago, IBatch said:

The team has a neutral doctor, they wouldn’t have allowed it if was serious.  Allowing him to fly is a good indicator that it wasn’t that serious, in the past he could be playing the next game, the rest is likely precautionary.  He is and will be given then best care available, the days of playing with head injuries are over, this is good news for us fans. 

I was thinking the same thing. Hopefully it really is precautionary and they're handling it with extreme care rather than rushing him back out on the ice. 

Archived