The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Celebs charged with fraud in buying their children’s admission to top colleges

nuckin_futz

13 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Either the kid has the brains and work habits, or they don’t.  Sooner or later the morons will be recognized for exactly what they are.  

Alf, you are too long in the tooth to think that these kids aren't handed everything. They get elevated through school, sports, life really, get it all handed to them without lifting a finger. Then they have to hire people like me to tell them what to do. Its the consulting cycle of life. 

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Let's be honest about this,  the only thing surprising here is that the authorities had the guts to lay charges.  Reasonable people understand those with power and wealth can/will often use said power/wealth to influence others, that part isn't news imo. 

How do you think Trump got into Wharton? It wasn’t his brains. Daddy probably donated a lot of money to their endowment fund 

5 minutes ago, xereau said:

This is how the whole world works.  I find it hilarious people getting worked up over this story.

Merit based advancement is a myth.

yes and no. There are certain jobs in certain places that you have to be born into, thats for sure. If there wasn't there would be a large number of West Van babies with not much to do. 

But we still live in a place where hard work and smarts can get you a nice life. 

• Upvote 4

11 minutes ago, xereau said:

This is how the whole world works.  I find it hilarious people getting worked up over this story.

Merit based advancement is a myth.

depends on the career you choose. Try faking your way through programming.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

5 hours ago, Fanuck said:

Let's be honest about this,  the only thing surprising here is that the authorities had the guts to lay charges.  Reasonable people understand those with power and wealth can/will often use said power/wealth to influence others, that part isn't news imo. 

i agree

not sure why bribes and other such payments were even required

solid social connections with academic types

can provide enough necessary influence

to facilitate admission

just like good social medical connections

seem to speed up necessary medical services when they come up in families

i do find it somewhat surprising that these elite type parents

had so little confidence in their kids that they felt the need to bribe to get them into certain schools

if your kid is not bright or not motivated

why subject them to this higher level university/college experience

it is a bad match.. and won't make the kids happy

round hole square peg dilema

but i guess some parents are in denial about the true potential of their offspring

Edited by coastal.view

The whole concept of post secondary education is to secure top educational certifications / professional careers for the richest in our societies....

This kind of behavior is just an extension of what is already common practise.

Like someone said above...   it already happens all the time... did these people really even need to pay for it...... ??

Them paying the money to get their kids into these schools really isn't a surprise, but it's still enraging; the fact that the people in position to do anything about it don't... Really makes me value people who do have the integrity to do the right thing that much more.

What's worse is these students/parents of these students at these universities/colleges pay sketchy tutoring businesses to do their coursework for them. Happens all the time in Van anyway — I'm sure these schools are no exception. That's what really gets me: Not only did they not earn their way into school, they don't earn the credentials they ultimately acquire, and they by extension will not be "qualified" for a legitimate job in whatever their field is. That's if their goal even is to land a job based on their alleged merit; presumably a certain number of them end up working for jobs floated to them through their connections, where not much is in even expected of them anyway. It's all a slimy way to attain a position of power, make their salary, make their parents "proud", and have it all look legit on paper so they never get in trouble.