The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

2019 NHL Draft Lottery | April 9th, 5:00pm PT

Rate this topic

1 minute ago, rekker said:

I remember the trade but was not grown up enough to think on the business end of it. I miss looking at the game through my youthful eyes. I am a bitter old man today. Lol. 

and people ask," If you think the NHL is corrupt, why do you watch it?"

because  I didn't know it when I started watching,

youthful indoctrination is a powerful tool

and I am lazy

• Cheers 1
  • Haha 1

18 hours ago, IBatch said:

Nah they can go f$&k themselves and we can get back to a proper rivalry with CAL.  CHI needs to pay their dues and sleep in their Toews Kane bed with their three cups for another five years before they can get to a full on rebuild.  Hate this new lottery, under a system where drafting is all important let teams that just miss the playoffs pick top three is asinine.   PHI boned a bunch of us too.  The draft is supposed to be there to help bottom teams, not add core pieces to teams like CHI and even PHI a few years ago. 

I don't see Chicago as being in as good of a position as everyone else, I suppose. 

I got this from NBC here's what Stan Bowman said ...

"I just believe that's the only way it works is you've got to try to win the games," 

My response is so how did Chicago get Toews and Kane again?

"I never believed in trying to lose games. I've said that before, and honestly, our guys want to win. And we owe it to our fans to try and win as many games as we can. Athletes are competitive. We pushed our team all year. Don't try to worry about the draft, those things have a way of working themselves out. Obviously I didn't know it work out this way. ... There's no question that we're in a different category now picking in the Top 3. It's sort of poetic justice that it worked out that way."

Basically he's saying yes the NHL's stupid lottery system helped us out and the Hawks sucking in the mid 2000's and bad teams today not being able to have the same drafting advantages as them in the period they got Kane and Toews was poetic Justice?

sounds pretty arrogant and selfish to me 

Source https://www.nbcsports.com/chicago/blackhawks/why-moving-top-3-nhl-draft-game-changer-blackhawks

Edited by iinatcc
  • Cheers 3

Honestly I don't mind the purpose of the lottery system, which is to discourage tanking. It's so teams don't intentionally lose to go after that too pick, just imagine it as a paying fan. Sure, the fans just don't have to attend those games, but that's bad for business. It's better to keep teams competitive as best they can so at least the paying fan can still enjoy their home team putting in an effort and still being rewarded with a player to hopefully push you over the playoff hump the next year and beyond.

However with that said, it's the trend that's been set that I'm not a fan of. I can't say if it's "rigged" or not, but 9 of the 12 lottery winning picks have gone out East including all 1st overalls (after the West got 5 of the last 6 1st overalls with Edmonton alone getting 4 of them). When the bottom team was an Eastern team, they beat the odds of dropping and when the West owned the best odds for 1st, they dropped right out of the top 3. For something that is suppose to be "random" or a lottery, the results seem quite skewed.

It would seem as if the league knows something to this effect this year as the West looked competitive down to the end whereas the East tanked hard almost as if they knew the reward of finishing at the bottom of the East. Maybe it's just coincidence, but it's the 4th year in a row where it's played out in the same way.

2 hours ago, BananaMash said:

I don't see Chicago as being in as good of a position as everyone else, I suppose. 

They aren’t in a good position IMO they aren’t much different then we were with our “stale” core.  The difference is they don’t have any choice but to try and win with what they have, and it definitely wasn’t for lack of trying both Toews and Kane had monster years.  Winning the lottery in a way will only prolong their state...which is just fine with me, they won’t become a dominant force again but at the same time you can’t really say they are out either.  Debricant is pretty good, they aren’t without some young players ... my point was they signed these guys under the cap to contracts that would inevitably handicap their chances to win.  They should pay the piper the same way we had to with the Sedins final contract.

21 hours ago, bluesman60 said:

I had planned to go over to the draft this year but after getting stiffed with this Draft Lottery again, I think I will save my coin, stay home and read about it online after.

In all these years, Vancouver has never had the 1st overall pick....the bad luck started in the 1st year when they lost the coin toss to Buffalo for the 1st overall pick.

If they aren't going to tank like some other teams do when there is no chance of making the playoffs, they should start offer sheeting top end RFA's. It might piss off a few teams but at least Vancouver fans will have something to cheer for. Losing a few draft picks in the mid teens to get a bonafide elite player or two is worth it because the Draft Lottery keeps biting us.

I sure hope I feel a lot different at the start of next season than I do right now. I have been a fan of the Canucks since the day they entered the league but I beginning to think I am a gluten for punishment.

As all Canuck fans know so well. We live for the pain, nothing ever comes easy for us. But we are fanatics for this team to win that elusive cup, and have been broken three separate times. When the time comes and it will. The feeling will be that much more satisfying and poetic. Me being alive to see it happen is another story. But we are all they have as fans, and they are all we have. It would’ve been too easy and obvious for us to win any top 3 spot yesterday. 10th we will gain another core piece and if you have been here from day one like you say, it’s hard not to be excited about where this team is headed. The youth that we have drafted within has never been better in our 50 years in the league. I’m grateful to know Judd and his scouting team will grab us another beauty at 10 this June. Although there are days...

CB430D1D-340A-46A7-B680-C2E53E9FA032.jpeg

• Cheers 2
  • Haha 1

Admit I was disappointed at first but I think about it this way to take some solace. 2017 we got the definitive #1. 2018 I’d say we got top 3 at least. Yes, it’s early to tell that one, but it’s what I go with. 2019 - I leave to the pros and expect we are getting a great piece moving forward. I am an optimist. And we will win within 3 years. 

Edited by zapperman

After some time and consideration, I'm still pissed we dropped again. However,

"No way Brock drops to us"

I have faith JB will select another stud. The kind of guy that goes top 5 in the future redraft.

If I had to guess I'd say he goes with a Swede or another NCAA kid. Which assumes Boldy, Soderstrom or Broberg. Any of the 3 would address an organizational need too.

I wanted a lotto pick. The torture and punishment we endure from the NHL as Canucks fans is such a pain in the ass. Crooks. BAH!

We're gonna show em one of these days.

• Cheers 2

3 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Only one win allowed. Let them land in the order they're drawn live on TV. 

They showed the whole process last year, it was tedious

if they didn't remove the extra balls they would end out drawing the same team multiple times

the ball comes up, dude pulls it out, spins it til he can read the number, 1043, looks at the chart, Montreal, uhoh they already have #15, sets that ball aside, repeat

that would make riviting TV

31 minutes ago, lmm said:

They showed the whole process last year, it was tedious

if they didn't remove the extra balls they would end out drawing the same team multiple times

in the first round teams only get the one chance to win a pick, one chance only FROM   1-31

you can only win once

Edited by Hairy Kneel

1 hour ago, Hairy Kneel said:

in the first round teams only get the one chance to win a pick, one chance only FROM   1-31

you can only win once

are you talking about equal odds across the board?

because that is not how the systen works

4 hours ago, lmm said:

are you talking about equal odds across the board?

because that is not how the system works

Equal? No teams would get a percentage of the 100 balls, top few teams don't get any balls,  bottom teams get a percentage, dozen or what ever the math is

22 hours ago, EP Phone Home said:

As all Canuck fans know so well. We live for the pain, nothing ever comes easy for us. But we are fanatics for this team to win that elusive cup, and have been broken three separate times. When the time comes and it will. The feeling will be that much more satisfying and poetic. Me being alive to see it happen is another story. But we are all they have as fans, and they are all we have. It would’ve been too easy and obvious for us to win any top 3 spot yesterday. 10th we will gain another core piece and if you have been here from day one like you say, it’s hard not to be excited about where this team is headed. The youth that we have drafted within has never been better in our 50 years in the league. I’m grateful to know Judd and his scouting team will grab us another beauty at 10 this June. Although there are days...

CB430D1D-340A-46A7-B680-C2E53E9FA032.jpeg

Well I can't argue with your comments except to say that as a senior on a pension, I am not going to pay for a two way ferry ride, hotel and transportation plus a ticket to the Draft just to watch them pick a consolation prize. After all these years, the Canucks deserve to at least draft 1st overall once. In Betman's NHL it is all about what is best for business and that is why Vancouver can't get a fair shake plus why no Canadian team has won the Cup since Gary Betman took over. 

I hope JB can grab a few gems at this years draft but he should also consider serving notice by offer sheeting a few high end FA's. It might piss off a few GM's but that just might make them reconsider this lopsided draft system. I have always considered the draft one of the high points of the year but after all the disappointments watching other teams always get the gravy, I think the draft has finally turned me off.

• Cheers 1