Sign in to follow this  
Generational.EP40

[Discussion] Erik Karlsson - the all encompassing Free Agency Thread

Recommended Posts

6 hours ago, Provost said:

...ummm how does it “artificially” move us up in the standings?

 

He would be part of our team and our team would be better.  That is what you call reality and nothing artificial about it.

 

Petterson has “artificially” moved us up in the standings too!

 

The fetish for finishing lower is just dumb.  There is virtually no difference in the player you get at #10 or #16. That minor difference is more than made up for in the development our young guys get by playing meaningful games and getting playoff experience.

Well I was thinking like how we held on to the twins for too long and they're PP point totals moved us up in the standings when we really needed the better chances at the lottery picks. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ilduce39 said:

Yeah, it’s always a concern but are his injuries related to being small?  I’m not sure groin and ankle stuff is from being a smaller guy.  

 

Anyways, I doubt he signs.. just pointing out that we still need that #1 D and if we could get one for nothing in FA it’d be fantastic.

JB was in Boston when they signed Chara to solidify their D.  I expect he will try to do same here.  Having a true number one makes the team so much better.  How often do these guys come up as s UFA?  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To paraphrase a poster in this site: most fans are enamored with the Erik Karlsson of the past. 

 

For the asking price and term I would expect a defenseman that wont just be an elite regular season performer but to be more so a playoff performer.  This is the first time I watched him play during the playoffs and defensively he was a liabilty.  

 

Hopefully, JB would had learned from the LE signing and stay the course of drafting, developing the core and then perhaps using the cap when the core is ready.  Also in a few years most of these contending teams will be trending down due to the age of there core and mainly because of the cap.  

Edited by ShawnAntoski
  • Haha 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Alflives said:

Sharks rode Burns too.  EK is great, but he’s slightly built.  

Karlsson's agent confirmed that he started the playoffs injured.  He was never 100%.  Karlsson now says he does't know if he will need surgery. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

To paraphrase a poster in this site: most fans are enamored with the Erik Karlsson of the past. 

 

For the asking price and term I would expect a defenseman that wont just be an elite regular season performer but to be more so a playoff performer.  This is the first time I watched him play during the playoffs and defensively he was a liabilty.  

 

Hopefully, JB would had learned from the LE signing and stay the course of drafting, developing the core and then perhaps using the cap when the core is ready.  Also in a few years most of these contending teams will be trending down due to the age of there core and mainly because of the cap.  

Uh... Where were you a couple years ago when he made that run with the Sens?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, Hairy Kneel said:

Well I was thinking like how we held on to the twins for too long and they're PP point totals moved us up in the standings when we really needed the better chances at the lottery picks. 

I think that would’ve more valid if you were bringing him in on a one year contract to pump up the team for no real reason.

 

He will be a minimum 6 year deal so he would be the longest contracted Canuck on the books and be an integral part of the team, not a mercenary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

To paraphrase a poster in this site: most fans are enamored with the Erik Karlsson of the past. 

 

For the asking price and term I would expect a defenseman that wont just be an elite regular season performer but to be more so a playoff performer.  This is the first time I watched him play during the playoffs and defensively he was a liabilty.  

 

Hopefully, JB would had learned from the LE signing and stay the course of drafting, developing the core and then perhaps using the cap when the core is ready.  Also in a few years most of these contending teams will be trending down due to the age of there core and mainly because of the cap.  

How in the world are you comparing EK with LE? EK is STILL a top 5 Dman in the NHL. He has been hurt most of the season and playoffs AND has preformed very well under those circumstances! He is a must have for any team if he passes a medical test and found that he can recover from his injuries. Building a good team is based on more than picks and signing the kids when and if they develop. It is balanced with trades and signings as well. Stop thinking so restrictively.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, HKSR said:

Uh... Where were you a couple years ago when he made that run with the Sens?

That was two years ago and looking at Ottawa's playoff history that was the only time during his tenure they got past the second round otherwise it was mostly first round exits or not even in the playoffs.  He is older and it seems the injuries are piling up affecting his play; did you not watch the this years' playoffs: defensively he struggled ?  Sure he is elite in the regular season but for the terms and cost being asked, I would expect him more so to be playoff perfomer, is my main point.  If by chance he sign a cap friendly deal then why not...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, grandmaster said:

How in the world are you comparing EK with LE? EK is STILL a top 5 Dman in the NHL. He has been hurt most of the season and playoffs AND has preformed very well under those circumstances! He is a must have for any team if he passes a medical test and found that he can recover from his injuries. Building a good team is based on more than picks and signing the kids when and if they develop. It is balanced with trades and signings as well. Stop thinking so restrictively.

Not comparing the players only a potential contract required to sign Karlsson based on the rumours but if he signs a cap friendly deal then I hope the Canucks sign him because he will potentially help get the Canucks into the playoffs.  In my opinion, he struggled in this years' playoffs and the injuries seems to be affecting his play.   The core is still developing and cap management moving forward will be important because some members of the current core will be very expensive to keep unless EP or BB will consider signing cap friendly deals.  Colorado is now having to deal with the cap because of some talented RFA's requiring new deals but Sakic seems to be a shrewd GM.  My main point is if the Canucks are ready to seriuosly compete next year with the contenders and EK decides to sign a cap friendly deal then use the cap room to add players but in my opinion, the Canucks are a year or two away from being contenders.  Great discussion !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ShawnAntoski said:

Not comparing the players only a potential contract required to sign Karlsson based on the rumours but if he signs a cap friendly deal then I hope the Canucks sign him because he will potentially help get the Canucks into the playoffs.  In my opinion, he struggled in this years' playoffs and the injuries seems to be affecting his play.   The core is still developing and cap management moving forward will be important because some members of the current core will be very expensive to keep unless EP or BB will consider signing cap friendly deals.  Colorado is now having to deal with the cap because of some talented RFA's requiring new deals but Sakic seems to be a shrewd GM.  My main point is if the Canucks are ready to seriuosly compete next year with the contenders and EK decides to sign a cap friendly deal then use the cap room to add players but in my opinion, the Canucks are a year or two away from being contenders.  Great discussion !

We have more than enough cap space to worry about EP when that time comes. The Canucks are in a very good position regarding the cap and are one of the few teams that can take on EK without worrying about future contracts. Also would like to point out that EK would be an almost guarantee for the Canucks to make the playoffs. As these playoffs have shown, you just gotta make it and good things can happen :towel:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, ShawnAntoski said:

That was two years ago and looking at Ottawa's playoff history that was the only time during his tenure they got past the second round otherwise it was mostly first round exits or not even in the playoffs.  He is older and it seems the injuries are piling up affecting his play; did you not watch the this years' playoffs: defensively he struggled ?  Sure he is elite in the regular season but for the terms and cost being asked, I would expect him more so to be playoff perfomer, is my main point.  If by chance he sign a cap friendly deal then why not...

I watched 2 years ago, and I watched this year.  He was healthy 2 years ago, and he was not healthy this year.  The bottomline is he was elite in the playoffs.  You make it sound like he disappears in the playoffs.  He wasn't as dominating as he was 2 years ago because he was injured.  Even then, he had 16pts in 19gms!  What exactly is your definition of playoff performance by a defenceman?  I'm guessing you want him to lead the team in scoring while also shutting down the opposition's top line?  Use him appropriately, and you can bet he'll make a difference on any playoff team.

 

Here's a thought, if he wasn't in the Sharks lineup, do you think they would have even made it past Vegas?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, grandmaster said:

We have more than enough cap space to worry about EP when that time comes. The Canucks are in a very good position regarding the cap and are one of the few teams that can take on EK without worrying about future contracts. Also would like to point out that EK would be an almost guarantee for the Canucks to make the playoffs. As these playoffs have shown, you just gotta make it and good things can happen :towel:

Not sure what the future holds but EK would certainly improve the Canucks chances; I just don't like the asking price and terms being rumored for his services.   I guess we'll just have to wait after the draft and if JB and Aquaman decides to sign a big FA then only there opinions will matter... Great points !

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, HKSR said:

I watched 2 years ago, and I watched this year.  He was healthy 2 years ago, and he was not healthy this year.  The bottomline is he was elite in the playoffs.  You make it sound like he disappears in the playoffs.  He wasn't as dominating as he was 2 years ago because he was injured.  Even then, he had 16pts in 19gms!  What exactly is your definition of playoff performance by a defenceman?  I'm guessing you want him to lead the team in scoring while also shutting down the opposition's top line?  Use him appropriately, and you can bet he'll make a difference on any playoff team.

 

Here's a thought, if he wasn't in the Sharks lineup, do you think they would have even made it past Vegas?

Perhaps it was due to all injuries just affecting his play but he did struggle defensively in this playoffs and I did notice the Sharks playing Vlasic more afterwards.  He did help the Sharks beat Vegas but he was also responsible for some goals during the Vegas series.  My only point is the cost and terms being rumored would  be an overpayment for the current and future EK with all the injuries being considered but if he signs a cap friendly deal why not.  He would definitely be great add for the right price and term...  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reading through this thread, people don't like it if we get a great player and perhaps make the playoffs. 

It's all about getting the highest draft pick. What the team needs are finding gems in the later rounds and the possibility of getting top tier talent at no extra cost besides actual dollars that isn't mine/yours anyways.

Edited by JesseBlue

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If he's healthy (clears doctor exam), and he's willing to come here, he transforms our defense, instantly.

 

I wouldn't want to break the bank for him though, 9 million, 7 years with a good signing bonus.

 

Imagine Karlsson mentoring Hughes and feeding passes to Pettersson and Boeser.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/26/2019 at 2:35 PM, DeNiro said:

With Karlsson's recent injury history there's no way he's not going for a long term almost league max contract.

 

Too risky for him to take two years. He wants guaranteed money that he'll be able to collect even if his career is cut short.

You're right.  And in this case, I think it would be a bad choice for the Canucks to commit long term.  Best to pass.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hey there big fish, you’re quite the catch. You wanna be swayed to play with the Petey-Prodigy? I see your goosebumps showing Erik, come to westcoast Stockholm where the Swedes thrive... except maybe that Louie guy but he does those little things.  

2C9194F2-1092-411F-A58F-D4560410D5EA.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If the team hadn't just hit a homerun landing Hughes in last year's draft, he might be more tempting (although even then I don't particularly like him, wouldn't be very comfortable with the terms he's going to land in the frenzy - more talent then character, and at that price I want both).

 

With Hughes in the mix, and the future core having a few years to emerge, it's a definitive no for me.

Edited by oldnews

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I know this is a stupid proposal but it’s golf season and I watched the Bruins win again last night so grant me a little homer dreaming. I wonder if he would consider a 1 or 2 year deal at max dollars. Promise him a defensive minded partner that can handle any heavy stuff (think Schenn or similar) let Edler and Taney handle the defensive end of the rink and then put out BB, EP, (literally anyone that screen a goalie) with EK and Hughes on the power play. 

 

Canucks get scoring and a true mentor for Hughes while we have cap space. EK gets to fully rehab and pad his stats in an offensive situation and then return to free agency with extra $$ in his pocket and time to cash in on a longer contract. 

 

Before you bash this too too hard I know he would never do it. Life is short injuries happen and this is his shot to get max term and money...but I want shiny things. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.