The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

So does JB end up trading for any of the following?

Zaitsev (maybe try to get Kapanen also)

Ristolainen 

Subban

If we are lucky he manages a trade for one and signs another top 4 UFA D. That would be huge for this team.

Hopefully gonna be an exciting week or so.

Been thinking about this retool of our D. I don’t want to give up assets that we can’t afford.

I believe Edler will test the free market but he will resign with VAN.

I also think that JB will struggle to trade Tanev so he stays. And JB will also resign Schenn.

We have some good young prospects developing (OJ, Woo, Rathbone), plus Tryamkin may come back soon. We can’t lose these assets without knowing what we have. We just need to buy some time to get to that point, and I don’t want to sell the future to buy time.

What I think JB should do:

Stecher is a good young player but my preference would be to go for an upgrade in size. I think we could trade Stecher 1-for-1 with VGK to get Miller.

Assuming Edler, Tanev and Schenn remain...I think it makes sense to sign a B level UFA such as Stralman. Stralman is a good defender and vet with a calming influence on young guys. He can also move between 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairing and not look out of place.

This would be my 2019-20 D corps:

Edler Stralman

Hughes Miller

Hutton Tanev

Juolevi Schenn

Potential D corps in 2020-21:

Hughes Miller

Edler Stralman

Juolevi Tryamkin

Hutton Woo

5 hours ago, BigTramFan said:

Been thinking about this retool of our D. I don’t want to give up assets that we can’t afford.

I believe Edler will test the free market but he will resign with VAN.

I also think that JB will struggle to trade Tanev so he stays. And JB will also resign Schenn.

We have some good young prospects developing (OJ, Woo, Rathbone), plus Tryamkin may come back soon. We can’t lose these assets without knowing what we have. We just need to buy some time to get to that point, and I don’t want to sell the future to buy time.

What I think JB should do:

Stecher is a good young player but my preference would be to go for an upgrade in size. I think we could trade Stecher 1-for-1 with VGK to get Miller.

Assuming Edler, Tanev and Schenn remain...I think it makes sense to sign a B level UFA such as Stralman. Stralman is a good defender and vet with a calming influence on young guys. He can also move between 1st, 2nd, 3rd pairing and not look out of place.

This would be my 2019-20 D corps:

Edler Stralman

Hughes Miller

Hutton Tanev

Juolevi Schenn

Potential D corps in 2020-21:

Hughes Miller

Edler Stralman

Juolevi Tryamkin

Hutton Woo

I was right with you other than trading Stecher and keeping Tanev. IMO, you got those two backwards. I also see us moving Hutton this summer or at some point this year.

18 hours ago, rekker said:

Are you in a dark basement Xbox, GM mode? 

18 hours ago, Alflives said:

Cap is not going up any time soon.  Big dollars on one guy will make it hard to challenge for a cup.  Need guys to contribute on their ELC too.  

14 hours ago, CanuckGAME said:

You're a genius bro.  Why arent you running your own show?  The way you finessed that Marner deal is just brilliant.

18 hours ago, Filthy McNasty said:

LMAO, woah people need to relax.

LOL, 100% absolutely joking. Things started slowing down late in the day and decided to see what reactions I would get. Didn't think it would be this bad.

Canucks are not ready to compete. Whilst Marner would be a huge help, the cap space is significant, the 4 1sts are unknown commodities given we aren't quite a playoff contender, our rebuilt is only 80-90% complete. We are missing two top 6 wingers, and at the very least a top4/top pairing defenseman. Hughes, Pettersson, and Boeser are going to need significant raises. I am aware of all this.

that being said, I still think Lucic to Van is good idea.

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

The Canucks will be an interesting team to watch over the next few weeks.  Some of the story lines I'm interested in are:

1. The draft is the most immediate story and like I assume all other fans right now, I'm curious to see if the Canucks move picks and, of course, who they end up drafting.

2. Obviously re-signing Boeser is a top priority but it's definitely curious to consider if management sees him as a trade chip.  I have a hard time believing Boeser is in play, depending on the return of course.  Boeser has developed into a key piece in the Canucks future offense however so trading him would be a huge shift.  Any team that acquires Boeser will also need to sign him so that may limit the likelihood of him being dealt.

3. While Edler is a significant story, his story is a subplot in the overall need for the Canucks to revamp the D.  The odds seem high that Edler will be re-signed which IMHO means that changes to the Canucks' D will require trades.  Even if the Canucks dip into the UFA market or make a trade, there's only so much room in the top-6 so I presume that means that one or more of Tanev, Hutton or Stecher could be dealt.  I'm not a fan of dealing Stecher unless the return is clearly superior. He has grown well with the team and it would be nice to see where he gets to next season.

4. I'm really curious what the Canucks will do with Eriksson given all the negative publicity about their relationship.  One has to think that the Canucks will move him this summer but what kind of deals are out there?  The Canucks are supposed to a team that can "weaponize" its cap space and while they certainly do have cap space, what other teams with cap space would want to acquire Eriksson without the Canucks giving up something in return?

The Lucic rumors are intriguing but I'm not sure if that will work.

5. The futures of Baertschi, Pearson, Leivo and Goldobin with the Canucks are intriguing to me also.  IMHO, there's a good chance that at least one of them will move on this summer given the construction of the team.  Goldobin has the highest chance of being deal I think, but his value may also not be the greatest.  Baertschi has developed well with the Canucks but one has to wonder what his long term future is even if his concussion issues subside.  I think Pearson and Leivo are quite likely to stay with the Canucks since they both fit the team needs and expressed desire to be "bigger", but they may also be attractive trade pieces to some teams.

6. I'm going to assume that Markstrom and Demko are going to be the tandem next season but there's always a chance something happens there this summer.

I have to think that if the team looks largely the same after the next 3-weeks have passed, there's going to be a fair amount of disappointment.  It'll be good to see Pettersson, Boeser and the other "young guns" grow next year, but it does feel like the roster needs more than a bit of tweaking.  On the other hand, the cost of making those changes may be too high.  I think we had all better get ready for a roller coaster ride.

Edited by EternalCanuckFan

31 minutes ago, Alflives said:

If we could get Gardiner for 5 million, I'd be super happy.  The guy is going to get paid.  7 to 8 per year.  

I wouldn't want him for 5 regardless. 7-8 is ludicrous. He is horrible in his own end and only ONE 50 point year on a high flying offensive team. 

1 minute ago, RRypien37 said:

I wouldn't want him for 5 regardless. 7-8 is ludicrous. He is horrible in his own end and only ONE 50 point year on a high flying offensive team. 

Reading in the Eddy thread that there is a deal coming for him.  That should rule out Gardiner.  How much would you think is fair for Meyers?

1 hour ago, Alflives said:

Reading in the Eddy thread that there is a deal coming for him.  That should rule out Gardiner.  How much would you think is fair for Meyers?

Over-payments galore right now so I am sure Myers will get paid much more than he is worth too. I'd prefer him over what ever they are going to give Edler at this point. 

2 hours ago, Alflives said:

If we could get Gardiner for 5 million, I'd be super happy.  The guy is going to get paid.  7 to 8 per year.  

Yeah pretty much it. People don't seem to realize that the current contract for an FA D on the 3rd paring is 2-4 mil if it's an established player.

Let someone else pay Gardiner and Myers (and for that matter, Hutton who will demand 4-5 mil).

2 hours ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

The Canucks will be an interesting team to watch over the next few weeks.  Some of the story lines I'm interested in are:

1. The draft is the most immediate story and like I assume all other fans right now, I'm curious to see if the Canucks move picks and, of course, who they end up drafting.

2. Obviously re-signing Boeser is a top priority but it's definitely curious to consider if management sees him as a trade chip.  I have a hard time believing Boeser is in play, depending on the return of course.  Boeser has developed into a key piece in the Canucks future offense however so trading him would be a huge shift.  Any team that acquires Boeser will also need to sign him so that may limit the likelihood of him being dealt.

3. While Edler is a significant story, his story is a subplot in the overall need for the Canucks to revamp the D.  The odds seem high that Edler will be re-signed which IMHO means that changes to the Canucks' D will require trades.  Even if the Canucks dip into the UFA market or make a trade, there's only so much room in the top-6 so I presume that means that one or more of Tanev, Hutton or Stecher could be dealt.  I'm not a fan of dealing Stecher unless the return is clearly superior. He has grown well with the team and it would be nice to see where he gets to next season.

4. I'm really curious what the Canucks will do with Eriksson given all the negative publicity about their relationship.  One has to think that the Canucks will move him this summer but what kind of deals are out there?  The Canucks are supposed to a team that can "weaponize" its cap space and while they certainly do have cap space, what other teams with cap space would want to acquire Eriksson without the Canucks giving up something in return?

The Lucic rumors are intriguing but I'm not sure if that will work.

5. The futures of Baertschi, Pearson, Leivo and Goldobin with the Canucks are intriguing to me also.  IMHO, there's a good chance that at least one of them will move on this summer given the construction of the team.  Goldobin has the highest chance of being deal I think, but his value may also not be the greatest.  Baertschi has developed well with the Canucks but one has to wonder what his long term future is even if his concussion issues subside.  I think Pearson and Leivo are quite likely to stay with the Canucks since they both fit the team needs and expressed desire to be "bigger", but they may also be attractive trade pieces to some teams.

6. I'm going to assume that Markstrom and Demko are going to be the tandem next season but there's always a chance something happens there this summer.

I have to think that if the team looks largely the same after the next 3-weeks have passed, there's going to be a fair amount of disappointment.  It'll be good to see Pettersson, Boeser and the other "young guns" grow next year, but it does feel like the roster needs more than a bit of tweaking.  On the other hand, the cost of making those changes may be too high.  I think we had all better get ready for a roller coaster ride.

It sure is an exciting time to be a Canuck fan isn't it!?!?

• Upvote 1