The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

8 hours ago, Nuck1991 said:

wtf are we doing, we need defense for next season

LHD  RHD

1 __        ___(tanev has to go)

2 ___     ____

3 Hughes Schenn

4  Hutton stecher

5 beiga  

need 4 top 4 d men, trouba is traded and myers would prob be resigned. Edler is prob walk out. 

thought we were active on trade front????

Fixed it for you.

Hutton and Stecher are 3rd pairing D. I would rather play Schenn with Hughes for a bit of protection and it worked in the short term at the end of last year. Sub in stecher if needed.  so that means we need 4 top 4.  JB - get movin lmao!!

JB is probably hamstrung in that other teams don't want our plethora of spare parts as they are not worth crap. And he himself said he won't trade our good young players. So that only leaves him with picks to trade and he said he does not want to do that. Puts him in a tough spot to make a trade.

Edited by Kanukfanatic
  • Upvote 3

2 hours ago, ruilin96 said:

Tanev + 2020 first (lottery protected) for Ristolainen + 2019 2nd

Ottawa's 2018 1st was top-10 protected so they pushed it to the following year only to find themselves last in the league in 2019.

Can the Canucks really be confident that they won't win the lottery in 2021 when the 1st will no longer be lottery protected.  

40 minutes ago, mll said:

Ottawa's 2018 1st was top-10 protected so they pushed it to the following year only to find themselves last in the league in 2019.

Can the Canucks really be confident that they won't win the lottery in 2021 when the 1st will no longer be lottery protected.  

Worth the risk in my mind with Risto and another solid D like Edler.  Still a chance we win the lottery but very remote.  Two solid D and we are in playoff discussions IMO.

3 minutes ago, Kobayashi Maru said:

Worth the risk in my mind with Risto and another solid D like Edler.  Still a chance we win the lottery but very remote.  Two solid D and we are in playoff discussions IMO.

@SabreFan1 said he'd do Risto and 31st for 10th OA... Doubt the real Sabres would though :lol:

• Cheers 1

57 minutes ago, Jester13 said:

One possible scenario is JB loses Eddie and misses out on signing a big D UFA. He will have to grossly overpay for Gardiner or someone or we may see a backend of rookies this year. 

It’s entirely possible....he put EP in a precarious situation last year maybe he does the same thing with Hughes his wonder kid (first pairing D), and OJ etc.   Could get ugly very quickly.   Stralman and a few others like him (old long in the tooth vets) might be around, his best play at this point might be to try and find two aging vets who won’t get big bucks and what Edler wants ... you can bet WNP will be talking a lot to Myers agent now that Trouba is gone, or using one of their several assets for a trade to fill the void...or both.  Stralman and Myers maybe both will be in WNP.  Gardiner is fine instead of Edler as long as it’s not too unreasonable...

i hate to say it but i think that the only way they improve this defense is by trading boeser. i could see minny giving us a defenseman and a forward to replace boeser. what else have we got to give? possible virtanen, demko or juolevi.

our defense is;

hughes...tanev;   juolevi...stecher;  brisebois...sautner.

plus whoever they resign.

4 minutes ago, smithers joe said:

i hate to say it but i think that the only way they improve this defense is by trading boeser. i could see minny giving us a defenseman and a forward to replace boeser. what else have we got to give? possible virtanen, demko or juolevi.

our defense is;

Minnesota has one of the best top-4 Ds when all healthy.  Fenton wants to keep them together - they have no replacement in the near future.  It's easier to find wingers.

2 hours ago, Kanukfanatic said:

Fixed it for you.

Hutton and Stecher are 3rd pairing D. I would rather play Schenn with Hughes for a bit of protection and it worked in the short term at the end of last year. Sub in stecher if needed.  so that means we need 4 top 4.  JB - get movin lmao!!

JB is probably hamstrung in that other teams don't want our plethora of spare parts as they are not worth crap. And he himself said he won't trade our good young players. So that only leaves him with picks to trade and he said he does not want to do that. Puts him in a tough spot to make a trade.

And that's exactly it. We have junk to offer up. Maybe Gaudette and Jake but really what would they garner and would we really want to risk their development potential. We have picks but we need those. JB is in a tough spot for sure.

• Like 1

instead of overpaying Gardiner I would prefer to take a look at T.J. Brodie.

T.J. Brodie, Calgary Flames

Assuming the salary cap reaches $83 million as projected, the Flames will have around $14.4 million in cap room. A new contract for restricted free agent power forward Matthew Tkachuk could eat up around $9 million, leaving little for RFA Sam Bennett and to sign two goaltenders.

Brodie has frequently surfaced this spring as a possible trade candidate. He has a year left on his contract with a $4.625-million AAV. Clubs seeking skilled blueline depth could come calling.

40 minutes ago, mll said:

Minnesota has one of the best top-4 Ds when all healthy.  Fenton wants to keep them together - they have no replacement in the near future.  It's easier to find wingers.

they also really want boeser.  would they give us enough to make it worth while?

Tanev (50% retained) + Goldy

for

Zaitsev + Kapanen 

Would this work?

Gives TO some cap space.  VAN gets an overpaid RHD and a legit top 6 winger.  Bonus Russian factor to lure Tryamkin back.:lol:

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, BPA said:

Tanev (50% retained) + Goldy

for

Zaitsev + Kapanen 

Would this work?

Gives TO some cap space.  VAN gets an overpaid RHD and a legit top 6 winger.  Bonus Russian factor to lure Tryamkin back.:lol:

I think we would need to add quite a bit.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, 73 Percent said:

I think we would need to add quite a bit.

After listening to Bob Mackenzie talk about the Leaf's cap troubles (the cap is not going up much at all) I think the Leafs will keep Kapenen, and want to dump Nylander's contract.  

I could see Tanev (50% retained) for Zaitsev, Marleau, and Nylander.  Leafs dump lots of salary in that trade, and get a D man, who can actually play D.  We might need to add winger, who doesn't get paid to much to balance out contract numbers.  (Baer/Goldy/Schaller)

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Alflives said:

After listening to Bob Mackenzie talk about the Leaf's cap troubles (the cap is not going up much at all) I think the Leafs will keep Kapenen, and want to dump Nylander's contract.  

I could see Tanev (50% retained) for Zaitsev, Marleau, and Nylander.  Leafs dump lots of salary in that trade, and get a D man, who can actually play D.  We might need to add winger, who doesn't get paid to much to balance out contract numbers.  (Baer/Goldy/Schaller)

There has to be a scenario that works within the names you've mentioned. The fly in the ointment for me is Carolina. That have a plethora of D and a need for a Nylander. 

1 hour ago, smithers joe said:

our defense is;

Unless they give us Dumba, then hell no! Boeser is a superstar in the making. You don't just trade him for any defenseman.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Alflives said:

Never going to happen. Also the ladt i read, cap is going up by 3.5m.