The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

Rumour: Canucks very active in trade market (Canucks looking at D options)

7 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Does anyone else feel like we are stuck waiting until Friday for any trades involving Canucks players to support the the entertainment value of a home draft

I have been checking this site and twitter all day and am getting increasingly frustrated that there aren’t any new rumours hahaha. I thought the same thing - maybe they’re waiting for the draft, which likely means the pick is involved, or closer to the draft to ramp up excitement if it’s not involved. 

• Haha 1

10 minutes ago, SunnyHours said:

I have been checking this site and twitter all day and am getting increasingly frustrated that there aren’t any new rumours hahaha. I thought the same thing - maybe they’re waiting for the draft, which likely means the pick is involved, or closer to the draft to ramp up excitement if it’s not involved. 

I think he would wait for draft day anyway. 

Too many Rumors that the pic is in play to ignore. 

Man I hope those Rumors are just a sports journalist circle jerk, not the truth. 

• Upvote 2

20 minutes ago, aGENT said:

Benning moved pretty much anything he could, short of perhaps Tanev.

I was referring to the much disputed 2nds he moved for Baer/Vey/Gud. Undo those moves and we're still likely basically in the same spot.

Sure extra seconds all around! You get a second, you get a second, everybody gets a 2nd!

giphy.gif

He was basically giving up picks like Oprah in the early years.

16 minutes ago, stawns said:

the exploding heads would.......explode if benning traded picks.

If they had extra picks to trade I dont think they wouldve. But if they trade away our only 2nd round pick im sure ppl wouldn't be happy about that.

28 minutes ago, flat land fish said:

Does anyone else feel like we are stuck waiting until Friday for any trades involving Canucks players to support the the entertainment value of a home draft

We're waiting to see what number the cap comes in at. Once that's settled, teams will have a better idea of what salary they need to shed to balance their books for next season.

Hopefully, we can pick someone off, relatively cheaply, because we have the cap space to do it.

• Cheers 2
  • Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, Smashian Kassian said:

He was basically giving up picks like Oprah in the early years.

Down one pick...hyperbole much? 

Again, undo those moves we're still in basically the same spot AKA much ado about nothing. Benning had a $&!#e starting point.

8 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

We're waiting to see what number the cap comes in at. Once that's settled, teams will have a better idea of what salary they need to shed to balance their books for next season.

Hopefully, we can pick someone off, relatively cheaply, because we have the cap space to do it.

You are in Vegas, I’m sure you’ve scouted Colin Miller. Sure not a top 4 D but definitely a reliable 5-6 D with a good cap hit at 3.85 a year for 3 more years. Already mentioned a few pages back that Vegas is cap tied and while Miller doesn’t break the knights payroll, it wouldn’t take much for a desperate team to unload him. He is definitely one guy I can see us make a move for (just like the Leivo trade) where we give up nothing essentially  but salary cap air so Vegas can have some breathing room. 

Edited by EP Phone Home

52 minutes ago, brian42 said:

This is how I see it too, could also lead to more trades as teams will have more to shed than expected. 

I can't see how Vegas will right its cap situation without moving some important pieces. 

Subject to NMCs/NTCs being waived, I assume Stone, Pacioretty, Stastny, Smith and Marchessault won't be moved. They have to re-sign William Karlsson who regressed last season but still put up 56 points.  Based on how their team is designed, my guess is they would prefer to keep Karlsson and shed some other contracts since Karlsson is presumably one of their top-2 centres.

Others have already suggested acquiring Colin Miller as an alternative to going after a guy like Ristolainen.  He regressed last year as well, but he seems like he would be a reasonably good fit with the Canucks giving his right hand shot, age and production so far.  Trading Miller alone won't free up much cap space for Vegas though.

That makes me wonder if guys like Eakin or Tuch might be available.  Including them in a deal would presumably make the cost very high (e.g. 1st Round plus prospects, roster players), but if Vegas needs to shed cap, perhaps a team or teams may be able to scoop some of these guys.

Not sure if the Canucks would be able to make a deal for one or more of those players work, but at least one of them would and should presumably be a target.  Miller is probably the highest priority as a RHD but it would be amazing if the Canucks could acquire Tuch as well.

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, EP Phone Home said:

You are in Vegas, I’m sure you’ve scouted Colin Miller. Sure not a top 4 D but definitely a reliable 5-6 D with a good cap hit at 3.85 a year for 3 more years. Already mentioned a few pages back that Vegas is cap tied and while Miller doesn’t break the knights payroll, it wouldn’t take much for a desperate team to unload him. He is definitely one guy I can see us make a move for (just like the Leivo trade) where we give up nothing essentially  but salary cap air so Vegas can have some breathing room. 

Very possible, although I'd rather find a way to pry Shea Theodore away. Actually went to school with his dad (showing my age). Not sure what that would take, but if we offered to take Clarkson off the Vegas books as well as part of a deal, might help.

I actually live back and forth between Vegas and Gulf Islands.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, EternalCanuckFan said:

I can't see how Vegas will right its cap situation without moving some important pieces. 

Subject to NMCs/NTCs being waived, I assume Stone, Pacioretty, Stastny, Smith and Marchessault won't be moved. They have to re-sign William Karlsson who regressed last season but still put up 56 points.  Based on how their team is designed, my guess is they would prefer to keep Karlsson and shed some other contracts since Karlsson is presumably one of their top-2 centres.

Others have already suggested acquiring Colin Miller as an alternative to going after a guy like Ristolainen.  He regressed last year as well, but he seems like he would be a reasonably good fit with the Canucks giving his right hand shot, age and production so far.  Trading Miller alone won't free up much cap space for Vegas though.

That makes me wonder if guys like Eakin or Tuch might be available.  Including them in a deal would presumably make the cost very high (e.g. 1st Round plus prospects, roster players), but if Vegas needs to shed cap, perhaps a team or teams may be able to scoop some of these guys.

Not sure if the Canucks would be able to make a deal for one or more of those players work, but at least one of them would and should presumably be a target.  Miller is probably the highest priority as a RHD but it would be amazing if the Canucks could acquire Tuch as well.

No way tuch is available.

playoff type player who is just coming into his own.

1 hour ago, SunnyHours said:

i feel u fam

36 minutes ago, VegasCanuck said:

Very possible, although I'd rather find a way to pry Shea Theodore away. Actually went to school with his dad (showing my age). Not sure what that would take, but if we offered to take Clarkson off the Vegas books as well as part of a deal, might help.

I actually live back and forth between Vegas and Gulf Islands.

Only if the Canucks are on his list;)

https://www.tsn.ca/report-david-clarkson-submits-no-trade-list-to-vegas-golden-knights-1.1324600

Edited by thundernuts

Not sure how P.K. Subban would fit with the team regarding personality, not saying it wouldn't work fine, but apart from that Tanev for Subban straight up actually makes a lot of sense for both teams.

VAN: P.K Subban

NSH: Tanev (50% retained)

Subban isn't really needed in NSH as Josi is way better and their other D:s too good to motivate Subban's salary as basically a second pairing guy. This deal would give NSH plenty of cap room to get even stronger up front instead.

Subban's age and contract (3 yrs remaining with a $9 mil cap hit) isn't perfectly aligned with the Canuck's rebuild, but still a piece that's needed asap.

Edler - Subban

Hughes - FA

Hutton/OJ - Stecher

That's miles better than this season.

• Upvote 1

Just now, ItTakesAnArmy said:

do something easy

buyout Tryamkin's khl contract.  it is done all the time in the khl

if the team cannot arrange for his agent to do it or some outside lawyer.

there is no rule against it as far as i know

Let Tryamkin play another year in the KHL, then the Canucks won’t have to use a draft exemption on him. They’re not winning the cup next year.

Does the Canucks want a Subban personality? I’m not sure of the answer. Good player but comes with a lot of demanded spotlight.

5 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

His list doesn't matter. He's on permanent IR list, will never play another game in the NHL.

Who holds his contract, is irrelevant at this point as he will never report to the team, he'll just keep collecting his disability and next summer, will become a UFA and punch his retirement papers.

He won't hold up Vegas on shipping his contract somewhere else.

Just now, VegasCanuck said:

His list doesn't matter. He's on permanent IR list, will never play another game in the NHL.

Who holds his contract, is irrelevant at this point as he will never report to the team, he'll just keep collecting his disability and next summer, will become a UFA and punch his retirement papers.

He won't hold up Vegas on shipping his contract somewhere else.

If his list doesn't matter, why does he have to submit it?

2 minutes ago, sampy said:

Let Tryamkin play another year in the KHL, then the Canucks won’t have to use a draft exemption on him. They’re not winning the cup next year.

Does the Canucks want a Subban personality? I’m not sure of the answer. Good player but comes with a lot of demanded spotlight.

they would not have to, not enough games i think.

benning would love subban, as a media distraction

2 minutes ago, thundernuts said:

If his list doesn't matter, why does he have to submit it?

Its part of his contract, they still have to ask to keep things legal, but unless he's going to miraculously recover, its just protocol to request the list.

Its the same situation as Hossa with Chicago. He accepted trade, knowing that he would never report to the team.

Clarkson doesn't even have a stall setup in Vegas and never has. Unless there's a chance of him resuming his career, which is not what has been reported, its just shuffling paperwork.