The Official Site of the Vancouver Canucks
Canucks Community

[BUYOUT] LA BUYS OUT PHANEUF

No need for Dion if we have Schenn -who I am happy to keep as our 7th dman to swap in for injury or when we may need a bigger guy.  They are basically the same kind of player.

If Schenn and Phaneuf are on the team then we probably took a step back.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Virtanen#18 said:

Call me crazy but I do wanna see Phaneuf - Schenn rotating for our 3rd D pair than Biega and whoever that can't stay healthy.... both vets should be happy to take $1-1.5M a year!!

The Canucks don't have a legit top pairing yet.  To compensate they need better than bottom pairing Ds on their 3rd pairing because their top is not good enough for now.  The Canucks were bottom-3 in production from the blue line and had trouble moving the puck out.  By mid-February they were 3rd in dump-in rates according to NHL Network.  

To all those saying we should get this guy. Let me remind you. His last season stats were just 1 goal, 5 assists and minus 21 (67 games). His peak best years were way back in 07/08 with the Flames and has worsened each year!

This guy simply does not belong in the NHL anymore. It’s no longer a salary issue. 

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

On 6/15/2019 at 12:28 PM, Nuxfanabroad said:

Hutton   -   Zaitsev

Phaneuf  - Stecher

Hughes  -  Schenn

Juolevi   -  Bulldog

Drop the bomb, & trade 'em all. Tanev to TO. WHOLE D-cast under 20 million smackers!

Tree back next spring. Land a great pick. Also get to see how spectacular our 'tenders are :^)

Bwahahaha. 

Phaneuf actually plays the right side as a left hander.... If I had to handicap our chances of ending up with Phaneuf (pending a defense altering trade) I would say there's a good chance we see him on the blue line next year if Benning thinks he's any better than Guddy.

On 6/15/2019 at 1:14 PM, sonoman said:

Does he get a PTO some where?  Hopefully, not here

Why not? A PTO isn't going to hurt anyone. If any current roster player or prospect can't beat out a PTO, they probably don't belong in the NHL (yet). Or conversely, if a PTO plays lights out, then you could be getting a cheap player that is a short term improvement.

2 hours ago, Noseforthenet said:

Phaneuf actually plays the right side as a left hander.... If I had to handicap our chances of ending up with Phaneuf (pending a defense altering trade) I would say there's a good chance we see him on the blue line next year if Benning thinks he's any better than Guddy.

Please, no.

Phaneuf was pretty decent 10-12 years ago. At 34 his game is regressing dramatically and foot speed was never a strong point to his resume.

I doubt very much that Benning would see an upgraded blueline by adding Phaneuf.

13 hours ago, Nuxfanabroad said:

Yes, it's perfectly horrible. Think it's a good time to skim near the cap floor, ensuring 1 more yr of a top pick. Maybe even claim 1 or 2 large D off waivers.

It is definitely NOT a good time to scrape the floor. This is the time to surround our new core with a competitive team before they all need to be signed to big deals . Also, U dont develope players by creating a losing environment.  How many more teams have to prove this to people!

• Cheers 1
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, cuporbust said:

It is definitely NOT a good time to scrape the floor. This is the time to surround our new core with a competitive team before they all need to be signed to big deals . Also, U dont develope players by creating a losing environment.  How many more teams have to prove this to people!

We seem far off from winning teams like St Louis, with their size & depth. I'm patient to see ownership/JB build this monster properly.

You might be right^ here, & we'll just watch it all play out. There are many diff ways to build a winner, but it's hard to build gradually in an impatient, Cdn market.